We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Hints for Recovering a Wingback Chair

02 June 2011

Hints for Recovering a Wingback Chair by Lindsay

When Cassity asked me to write a post for Remodelaholic, I had to
pinch myself. I have been blogging for less than a year and my posts
are scattered at that. Diffendwelling is my way of paying back all the
other amazing bloggers out there who share their project how-tos and a
little bit of their life along the way. So without further ado, here's
a glimpse into one of my (semi) recent projects:

I've always had a thing for wing chairs. There's something so stately
and timeless about them. So when I got the urge to put a new chair in
my living room, I knew exactly what I wanted- a wing chair.

Being married to a medical school student, I knew that I was going to
have to make this happen on the cheap. My initial thought: slip
covering ...then I realized that I don't really sew well and most slip
covers I have seen don't make my heart skip a beat. So I (without the
slightest idea of where to begin) decided that I was going to teach
myself to reupholster. I learned completely via blogs and YouTube. You
can find all the links I used on my site.

Because I usually scroll down to see the "after" photo, I'll spare you
the agony. Here's the finished product:

It all started with this $20 find from a local resale store:


From there, I completely stripped the chair down to the bare bones.
You can read about it here:

It was just like peeling an onion, each piece layered behind another.
I made sure to number all of my pieces in the order that I took them
off (which was amazingly helpful for the reupholstering part). I also
did everything I could to keep what I removed in tact.

Once everything was removed, I began with the last piece that I
removed, laid it on top of my new fabric to use as a template, traced
it, and stapled it into place onto the chair. I continued to do that,
working backward, using my number system.

Tracing the
fabric


Oh, and I made some piping, using a zipper foot (and broke about 10
sewing machine needles in the process).

Do you recognize that fabric from somewhere? It's Pottery Barn's
Simone print. But I found it's actual name (Lutron Vintage) and got it
for $10 less a yard than PB was selling it for.

(You can get the full how-to on this here.)

And after more tracing and cutting and a whole bunch of staples later
(and soliciting my grandma to make the cushion cover for me), I

had the finished


For your viewing pleasure, my wing chair:


Wally tested, Wally approved.

 
Thanks for stopping by to see my transformation! Be sure to let me
know if you have any questions, as I will be more than happy (with the
limited knowledge that I have) to answer them!

And come follow me over at Diffendwelling. I'd
love to stay in touch.  



5 comments:

Annie Louise June 2, 2011 at 5:33 PM  

Fabulous!!!! I love it, I would not have a clue as to how to reupholster something. Great Job!!
Jeanette

The Mustard Seed June 2, 2011 at 11:37 PM  

This is BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING!!! I actually have drapes in the same fabric so a chair would be so nice!!! This tutorial makes it look so so easy... but I'm sure I would still mess it up, lol... Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

The mum of all trades June 3, 2011 at 6:36 AM  

I love this. I have never attempted upholstery, it seems so daunting. I must pluck up the courage to try it.

The Rusty Bucket June 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM  

Holy sh...! I never thought to use a template, but most of what I get is in shreds anyway. I can't believe how it turned out. I love the 'jump in with both feet' attitude.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP