We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Conspicuous Style Blog Home Tour

06 June 2011

Conspicuous Style Blog Home Tour by Stacy

blue house, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

First of all, I want to sincerely thank Cassity and Justin for allowing me to post here about my home.  I am so honored and so very grateful!

My name is Stacy Curran, and I’ve always loved decorating -- anything and everything.  However, instead of making a career out of that passion after college, I went to law school. “Why?” you might ask (and I ask myself).  I really have no idea, other than that my father thought it would be a good thing for me to do.  I guess I didn't know yet that I could make a living at interior design.  I did practice law for several years, and was actually pretty good at it (so thank you, Dad, for the advice. It was a very good start to my professional life).  But I finally decided that I needed more creativity in my life to be truly happy.  When my son was very young, I left the law, studied design and decorating, and opened my own business -- South Shore Decorating.  It is the best thing I’ve ever done (career-wise), and I love every second of it.  But during down-times, or late at night when I couldn't sleep because visions of lovely rooms were running through my head, I wanted to do more.  And since I truly, madly, deeply love decorating blogs, I decided to start my own.  Hence the creation of Conspicuous Style (oh, I had at least five other names before this one, and no less than 10 site designs, but I think I am finally settled on those issues).

My home has also undergone serious changes since we bought it in 2003.  Some of them were really necessary, as we bought the house new, never occupied, after seeing it only once for about 15 minutes.  Other changes were the result of my constant redecorating.  Here are images of our home throughout the last eight years.  I hope you enjoy it!

kitchen, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating, white kitchen, wainscotting

The builder chose these cabinets, below, and I love them.   I had the kitchen this way for years, although I always hated the particular shade of white paint that the builder chose -- it was much too white and very startling to look at.  I also cringe at the fake flowers -- what was I thinking?

white cabinets, white kitchen cabinets, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

Last year, I repainted the cabinets in Benjamin Moore's Cloud White, changed the chandelier, removed the pot rack, and added the lanterns from Home Goods over the island (and cut fresh greenery from the garden), shown below:

white kitchen, white kitchen cabinets, south shore decorating, conspicuous style, interior design blog, interior decorating blog, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

I love table settings....more on them later, but here is my kitchen table:

table setting, tablescape, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

I also very recently added this picture frame paneling (so not fun to do, but worth it, I think):

wainscotting, paneling, picture frame molding, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating
The living room is off the kitchen, and hasn't changed much:

living room, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating



I did change some of the accents from beige to green, and added the grass cloth to the back of the bookcases:

living room, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating


living room, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

The dining room, also off the kitchen, is very similar to when we first bought the house.  I got the table and server on eBay (can you believe it)!

dining room, traditional, transitional, modern, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating


I recently painted this old desk with chalk paint and put it in the dining room:

annie sloan chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, diy, do it yourself, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

The family room is the last room on the first floor.  It was extremely tricky to have it look the way I wanted and still have it function as a television viewing area.  The television is now in the back right corner (you can see the armoir that houses it reflected in the mirror).  You can really only see the television from three seats, but we're fine with that:

family room, blue, green, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

Here is a view looking from the family room back into the kitchen, before I did the kitchen paneling:


This is the master bedroom.  I designed this from 600 miles away, before we moved in, with a Pottery Barn rug and Smith & Noble bedding and curtains:



This year, I really, really wanted a zebra rug, but wasn't sure I could make it work on the first floor, so I re-did the bedroom.  Doesn't everyone?  Ha ha!  My husband was not pleased, but I must say, I'm in love with it:

master bedroom, bedroom, zebra rug, contemporary, modern, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating



This is the room I did for my daughter when she was first born. I love love loved this room and would never have changed a thing:

girls room, girl's room, green and yellow, blue, yellow, green, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating


But, alas, she got older and just had to have pink.  For her birthday last year, I gave in.  Here it is now.  I like it, but I adored it before.  She loves it though, and that's what matters:

girls room, girl's room, pink and green, paint, stripes, pink, blue, green, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

This is my son's first room in this house ... unfortunately, it was before digital cameras were the norm (at least for me), so I only have this mediocre scanned image:

When he was old enough to be embarrassed by that room, I changed it to this:


Here is the powder room ... really the only bathroom that I am happy with right now.  It's another room my husband doesn't "get," but I love the metallic gold wavy wallpaper:


The bottom floor of the house is the basement, housing a media area, pool table, and exercise room:

finished basement, blue, green, wall fireplace, pool table, media room, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

One of my favorite things to do in terms of decorating is table settings.  So I want to share a few of my favorites that I've done in my own home.  First, here is the table last Thanksgiving:

table setting, tablescape, holiday table, Christmas table setting, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating

And here are a few Christmas table settings:


table setting, tablescape, holiday table, Christmas table setting, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating



One of our traditions is to let each of our two children choose a snow globe to purchase each year.  I label them with the year and the child's initials on the bottom.  Here is the collection so far:


Finally, last but not least, this is our backyard, and my sweet little girl several years ago, way over near the deck:

exterior, backyard, pool, decorating, design, interior design, interior decorating


Again, thank you so much Cassity and Justin and Remodelaholic - I am so thrilled to be here!

Stacy Curran of Conspicuous Style

11 comments:

Unknown June 6, 2011 at 8:02 AM  

Way to follow your passion and leave your safe carreer behind. Your home is gorgeous. I feel like I'm turning the pages of my favorite magazine Veranda or Architectual Digest. Just Beautiful!

The enchanted home June 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM  

Stacy!! You are soooo talented in so many areas. I am uber impressed wtih your fabulously beautiful home. Its not only gorgeous but very inviting, so put together every square inch and the attention and love you have put into it really shows! Every single room is perfect!!
I am also in awe of your fabulous table settings (I too have a thing for them and soo miss setting a beautiful table) you are really good! So happy to have you here as a blogbud!

Calypso In The Country June 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Great to see Stacy's blog/house over here! I just became a follower of her blog last week! What a house!

Unknown June 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM  

I too did the first career paid by and approved by my parents, then set out just like you!!! Your home is lovely. Very sophisticated.:)

Be Colorful Coastal June 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM  

Stacy,
Your home is absolutely gorgeous and I enjoyed your writing style. I just discovered your blog recently when you linked up your fabulous black painted chest ( which I fell in love with and featured) So glad to have found you and to have been able to see inside your home. It makes me feel like I know you just a bit better.
Pam @ BeColorful

Be Colorful Coastal June 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

Fudge, I forgot to say I adore your ze- brah rug ( as Martin would say on Million Dollar Decorators) :) but I am also crazy for the green rug in your family room. I just sold five of our rugs and i am in the middle of a redo. Selling the rugs, I discovered was the easy part. Now replacing them seems to be a bit of a strain on my brain.
Loved it all.
Pam

Jessica June 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

What a beautiful house! You have great taste, I love that bathroom wallpaper, too.

Stacy CUrran June 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM  

Thank you all so much -- I really appreciate your kind words and how many people came to see me on the first day this was up! Cassity, thank you SO much!
Stacy

Kat's Purrfect Boutique June 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM  

What a beautiful home. I'm going to copy the bed idea in my daughter's room. She has a trundle bed too. I loved the house but I adore the backyard. What a beautifully designed patio with a pool (my favorite).

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP