We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

From Oak to Beautiful White Kitchen Cabinets

09 May 2011

From Oak to Beautiful White Kitchen Cabinets by Laura

I am so thankful to be here today at Remodelaholic, I was so excited when Cassity asked me to come on by!
My name is Laura and I have had a small interior decorating business since 2004.  I work on a part time basis because my “real” job is taking care of my family, my husband, two fun daughters ages 8 and 10 and a goofy dog named Bailey.

Finding Home is about the journey we are all on, the goal of making our houses feel like a home.  But part of that journey is the people and communities that we are interact with everyday, so I blog about that sometimes as well.  I hope you will take a moment to stop by and find out a little more about me.
Today, I am going to share with you a kitchen renovation I did for a client.  This project was part of a whole house re-do.  You can read about the living room and family room transformations as well. 
When we got to the kitchen, we knew we were not going to do a total gut job, there was plenty that was salvageable – mainly the cabinets and the flooring.  The first thing that we did was remove all of the wallpaper and painted the walls a soft grayish green.
This is an image of how much wallpaper there was…

Here is another view, and her sweet dog Maggie.  This also shows the flooring that we kept, the homeowner just gave the grout a real good scrubbing.

Here is the same view after…


We painted the cabinets (including a splurge of painting the insides) and replaced the countertops with Kashmir White granite. 
This is the view by the windows and table before…

And after… 
We replaced the fan, the table and chairs and added simple box pleat valance.

Here is the sink area before.  This is a good view of the cabinets.  They were solid and of good quality, but looking dated.  This picture also shows the countertop, which was laminate, and the backsplash.  It was just plain white tiles with a green diamond inset.  We actually priced out having the diamond removed and replaced and keeping the existing tile, but labor was coming in similar to just replacing it all.

In this view, you can see the new tile backsplash.  We replace the wiggly archway over the sink with a very simple arch.

But the biggest change that we made, was to remove the wall between the kitchen and family room.  Where the wood flooring stops used to be a wall with just a doorway into the kitchen.  Now it is completely opened up.


And,one last element, if you look in the above picture, you will see two sets of double doors.  Those were poorly organized pantry closets.  This is where we began.

With some sorting and organizing, we got all of the true pantry needs into one closet, which allowed us to use the other closet this way…

This gave her a place for her computer that used to be on the wall that was removed in the family room.
I hope you enjoyed the tour of this kitchen.  Together with my client, we tried to make the most impact with the least amount of money spent.  If you have any questions, please feel free to stop by and drop me an email.  Thanks so much!

11 comments:

wyochatfields May 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM  

Awesome job! I love that you turned a closet into a desk area what a wonderful use of space.

Up All Night Stamper May 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM  

OMG - those are my EXACT cabinets! I am DYING to paint them but everyone - EVERYONE - tells me that they look lousy really quickly. I just KNOW this isn't true. What steps have you taken (I meant the Royal You - all of you who have undertaken this project) to make sure they stay looking as dreamy as they do for their centerfolds?

Pat May 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM  

I would love to know the paint colour on the walls. Lovely kitchen!

The enchanted home May 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM  

Amazing how it totally opens up the space and makes it feel so much bigger and lighter! Love it1

Carmell Giacobbe May 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM  

That is amazing! I am loving the paint color you used. Can you share what color and brand you used? Much thanks!

michelle May 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM  

Absolutely gorgeous!! The kitchen is so open and airy now, what a beautiful transformation! I love love the pantry turned work space!

Robyn May 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM  

This a great transformation. I love the open and airy feeling it gives. The change really warmed up and brought the kitchen into the now.

Lori May 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

I like the cabinets. I'm currently painting my oak cabinets and curious how to handle the grain of the wood. Did you bondo? Brush Putty? Leave it?

dee dee May 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM  

Wonderful job on your kitchen! How creative on your closet to desk idea! Beautiful!
Dee Dee

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP