We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

From Desk to Ottoman

18 May 2011

From Desk to Ottoman by Kat

Hey there guys! This is Kat from Maple Leaves & Sycamore Trees where we're renovating our home (all 950 sq ft of it) little by little and trying to do it on the cheap. We just recently redid our kitchen, and are in the process of renovating our garage into more usable living space. And today I'm going to share our latest DIY project with you, so thanks for having me, Cassity!

Like many of you, I love checking out blogs and magazines soaking up design inspiration along the way. That being said, I know that I simply can't afford to furnish my home with those same designer items while living on a shoe-string budget. So how do you get the look without breaking the bank? Improvise. And that's exactly what my husband and I did with this DIY ottoman project. First, I bought this table at Goodwill several months ago for ten smackaroos:


And just recently turned it into this ottoman (while saving ourselves some serious cash):



And this is how we did it:
First, my husband, Mitch, cut down the legs for me with his miter saw.


Next I sprayed the legs with a glossy black spray paint.


We took foam from a former couch cushion and cut it to size. Reuse whatcha got!


 It was way to thick to use as is, so I cut it in half with my bread knife. 


Then used an electric bread knife to finish up the job. Who knew kitchen utensils would come in handy with this project!


Next, we attached the foam to the top of the table with spray adhesive.


Covered it with batting



Then Mitch cut boards (from a skid) to length and I wrapped them with batting and fabric.


We covered the foam with fabric while stapling it to the underside of the tabletop. 


Mitch adhered the sides with screws from the inside while I made sure the print lined up as evenly as possible.


Mitch then added the nailhead trim. (Have you noticed yet that he did all the tedious things? Having a partner really helps!)



We tufted the top with  fabric covered buttons. 


This is what the underside of the ottoman looks like. Once we pulled the string taut, I threaded a button on the string and tied several knots to keep it that way. 


And here ya go--the finished product!




So if a guy and a girl who know nothing about upholstering can do this project, so can you! I have found that if you have the vision, you can make pretty much anything happen.

Thanks again, Cassity, for having me today. Come on over to Maple Leaves & Sycamore Trees for some more thrifty inspiration.

27 comments:

lisaroy May 18, 2011 at 7:19 AM  

You did an amazing job! It looks fantastic and I really love the fabric choice :)

Kathy May 18, 2011 at 7:37 AM  

You have some amazing vision! I would have never thought to do such a transformation! Love the fabric pattern too!

Homeroad May 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM  

Beautiful job! You picked a beautiful fabric and your tutorial was perfect! Great project!
Susan

Julianne May 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM  

What?! This is amazing! The finish product looks so great!

http://repurposedlifedesigns.blogspot.com/

Graziela May 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM  

Kat, what a beautiful ottoman it turned out to be! I love that you tufted it too! I do have a question about it though. Did you pre-drill holes on the desk top to thread the string through? I'm confused how this would work, is it on the foam only? Thank you!

Kelsey @ trialandstyle.com May 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

I can't believe that transformation! I am so inspired, thank you so much for such a great tutorial :) Off to find myself a desk!

mapleleavessycamoretrees May 18, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

Thank you all for your lovely comments! Graziela, yes, we drilled holes through the top of the table. Then we just threaded the needle and pushed it through the hole in the bottom and up through the foam. You don't want to drill through the foam cause the drill will get caught in the foam--not fun!

The B's May 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM  

I think this is FANTASTIC! I just need to find a bench now. We need an ottoman/coffee table for our basement and this idea would work perfect! Thanks for the inspiration!

Mary Ann Pickett May 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

This is AWESOME. And wow...the lines are all straight, too. Looks extremely professional. You two make an excellent team. Love the fabric...very tasteful and modern.

Anonymous,  May 19, 2011 at 7:08 AM  

Wonderful idea! I've done some upholstery projects like this, too. I've not, however, considered cutting down the legs on anything. That I am going to have to give a try.

IHeart Organizing May 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM  

Oh my goodness it looks SO high end! I am in awe of how incredible it turned out, and want to do the same thing asap! Love love love!

xoxo,
Jen

Hyphen Interiors May 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

Wow, incredible! Looks so good. I love the tufting and nailhead trim. Very well executed!

Stephanie May 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

I am so impressed with the finished bench,you guys rocked this one! Very inspiring for any DIY, great job!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP