We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Progress Report Numero Uno; Testing A New look with Paper

05 April 2011

Time for a reality check people....

When I started remodeling my first two houses (Logan and Downing), I didn't really know about blogs.  And guess what?  I did what ever I wanted.  I wasn't concerned if it was cool enough, or if I was clever when I wrote about it.  I tried whatever I wanted to at the time.

Do you wanna know what happened?  Some things were temporary, some things permanent, some exciting, some things boring... but in th end, I liked it.  Our goal of being able to sell the house and earn money happened both times (even when we bought at the highest point in the Asheville market and sold at the lowest...)

But beyond that, I had fun.  I wasn't confused about what I wanted, I just did what I thought I liked, through whatever inspiration surrounded me.

Then in October 2009 I really started blogging... I wanted to make this blog a place for people to come and learn things and enjoy.   So, I stopped posting about my cats (poor babies) and I showed less of my children... (and I am telling you you are missing out, cuz they are super cute) I tried to be informative, I tried to keep up with the blogging Jones-es, and I totally lost my nerve.

I had another baby and was slapped with reality!  Smack!

Blogging about big projects is hard... heck showering is hard... having money to spend on anything besides diapering those two little bums is nearly impossible.

So what now?  I do LITTLE TINY PROJECTS because of time.  But I haven't posted about 90% of the things we have done cuz it isn't a huge or cool or a pottery barn knock off just simple before and afters but I realized something.  Cue the aha moment... thanks Oprah!

It doesn't have to be huge, and you don't even have to like it... but it is my reality and truth right now, and in the end that is how we sell our house.  One little tiny update at a time... even if our couches don't match or we choose the wrong living room rug... or I wear my pajamas all day(and so do my kids) while it is accomplished...

Well, because of this, I have come to a decision, I am going to start doing progress reports.  I will not strain my little mothering-sidetracked mind to be too clever.  I will not try to explain everything- I could talk the hind leg off a mule people.  I am just going to show a few pictures of some of the things we have done lately or that day, or never posted about from forever ago.

Sound fair?  I hope I don't bore you... and I am giving you fair warning that my cats might creep back into my blog... they need some attention, they used to be our only children after all, so they have fallen from that glorious existence... and need some extra love.

and why wait right, (since it may never happen again if I do) Let me give my first progress report then.  The other day I showed you a picture of some white shelves with black interiors that I found inspiring.  Well we just finished building our shelves, and while I like them a lot... they were still missing something... Because I don't have time to re-paint several times, I tired it out with paper, to see if I liked the way it would look..

and I was sold...

Tell me what you think!  (Please don't judge the super short drapes... I am aware, they look sorta silly!  At some point there will be a  window seat there, and technically they are just push-pinned in place to see what they would look like! and will probably be there looking silly for another 4 months before anything changes... talk about reality people!)

Before:

After:


Way before... (I can't believe I forgot to take a before picture, I almost never do that! URGH!)

 After:  ( I only had so much paper...)
This post was made possible by Barbie and the Diamond Castle... as you can see in the image above!
(or else I wouldn't have had the chance to do anything...)

Uh, no I haven't staged the shelves, at all.

I will be back with pictures of the painting process hopefully soon!

24 comments:

Marci April 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

I love the dark painting idea. It really makes everything stand out. And thanks also for being honest. I find I often get confused about my own style since blogging has come about because I see sooo many homes that I think are beautiful and I try to incorporate aspects into my home when in reality they just aren't me.

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles April 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM  

Thanks for being so honest- helps us "normal" (I say that in the loosest terms) people relax a little about the fact that our homes are not picture perfect. On to the shelves- why not just get more paper and leave that on back of your shelves? Wouldn't that be so much easier to do, and easier if you decide to change? (That's my waffling personality coming out- I can never completely make up my mind.)

KLM April 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM  

I really love the darker color in contrast with the white. Very fun!

Kim @ Too Much Time April 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM  

I LOVE it! Your post helped to bring me back to reality. The smallest things can make you so happy and make a big difference. Until your kids are comfortable around power tools, it is HARD to accomplish big projects. My poor 2 year old inhaled way too many spray paint fumes today)! Anyway, you rock, I love your blog, I love what you do!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants April 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

I think your new plan is a great one. I love the look of the shelves from our view point but I think you will have to be aware of it as you stage them. Some things may not show up well, kinda like a black whole. But if you pick light colored things they should really pop!

chris April 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM  

I love the idea of using what you have to try out color before you really invest in a big change. Hang in there, mama.

Laree April 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM  

I'm excited about the plan. Too often we get focused on the before and instant after - which is NEVER instant!

I love the focus on progression. It's part of life - and certainly how I roll!

alison April 5, 2011 at 7:26 PM  

Sometimes we have to step back and reassess. I love the shelves, wish I could make things like that.

Unknown April 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

The shelves look great with the dark paper and I'm glad that youre being "real" about blogging. My house isn't perfect 97% of the time- I usually have to push baby toys out of the way when I take blog pics.

ANT April 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM  

I love it. The shelves are great but what is better is that you are a real person. I often look at blogs and think how in the world do you do this, I am lucky if something gets done in my house that isn't a needed to maintain our lives. It took me three months to put pictures on the wall. The point is that I love what you are going to be doing and it also will help everyone realize that a little can go a long way.

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} April 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Love the dark it really adds defination to the items on the shelves. Thanks for being real, thats what I want to hear about - real homes and real people and real changes big or small is. If I wanted to see a house straight out of Domain I'd go to the magazine site for that :) Bring on the toys and cats I say!

Anonymous,  April 5, 2011 at 10:16 PM  

I think there are a ton of bloggers out there feeling exactly the same way, too. This was a great post. It's an idea I will definitely put to use.

Bring on the reality and the kids and the cats!

Cynthia April 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM  

You know, once you know others are 'watching'- it becomes hard to just be creative for it's own sake. Kudos for you for taking back all the little parts. I applaude you for being 'real' about it.

In 2006 my scrapbook room was featured in a magazine. It looked awesome if I do say so myself. The problem was that now people were 'looking'. I felt so much pressure to churn out perfect projects in that 'picture perfect' room. I say picture perfect because the only time it looked that fabulous was in the magazine. Day to day there were messes, mess ups and just general living. You'd never know to see it in the magazine. While it was fun to have it in there, it ruined my creative mojo for a long time because I worried that the things I made in there might not be good enough.

I eventually got rid of the perfect space (gave it to my daughter for her own bedroom). I am so much more creative in my not-quite-as-good but just right for me space. Forget the magazines, do what you do for the sheer enjoyment of it!

laxsupermom April 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM  

Love the black! The high contrast is so dramatic! And I love this whole post! Progress posts are fun, because the reader gets to feel more involved in the whole process, and you don't kill yourself over trying to bang out huge projects on 2 hours of sleep. It's a win, win. Thanks for sharing.

Erin April 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM  

The white with the black is so striking! Some bright accessories will really pop against that black. :)

Michelle Jensen April 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

I love how your living room and built-ins are coming along! I'd love to see a post on your stair railing when you get around to it. I noticed in a previous post that you're building up a box newel post, which is exactly what I'd love to do in my entryway.

Denise April 6, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

love your honest, Cassity! Oh how I miss you! Please move back :) Thank you for being down-to-earth and YOU! We love YOU! You're so talented and your place is coming along beautifully!! thanks for all your hard work you put into everything!!!

Ashley April 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

Your shelves look beautiful (everything really)! You and your hubby are so talented!

Amanda Lee April 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

Doing a trial run with paper is a brilliant idea! And I'm okay with keeping things real :)
~Amanda

Wendy Jeanine April 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

Oh, thank you for being so honest! I thought it was just me that took forever on the projects!!!!

Niki April 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

LOVE the black shelves! I also love that you're pacing yourself. Progress reports are great. Don't pressure yourself to get too much done - enjoy your life!

Miss B.e.e. April 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

Awesome post. That's what makes a great blog...not being like the others or "keeping up". I love all the millwork you all are doing! Can't wait to see more:)

Anonymous,  April 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

Those black backs really pop! I would probably accent with lighter items so that they are easily visible.

Thanks for being who you are. I have seen blogs where, it seems like at least, a major reno. is being popped out once a week. And then I wonder, "how do they do that? Do they sleep? Do they spend time with their husbands and kids?" I can't get things out as quickly as some people can because I also have a 3 1/2 year old that I'm trying to "home school", as well as a husband, and I do prefer to get more than 3 hrs sleep a night, if ya know what I mean!

Thanks for being you!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP