We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Pea Soup... it's actually good! And Recipe Link Up!

03 April 2011

This week's weight loss...(cough) uh, well, I think I must have commitment issues.

Actually, let me blame it on the fact that I decided to clean out my freezers.  (I have the one attached to the fridge and an upright freezer in my garage)

I tend to let these get out of control and end up throwing stuff away with major freezer burn!  Hence my  decision to inventory, organize, use or chuck out all the frozen treasures in my freezer.  I guess I made some cookies a while ago, (I used my cookie scoop to scoop out and then freeze individual cookie dough balls for baking later- usually a nice idea if you don't want to eat all the cookies at once)  I thought, heck, I'll bake some, and they were good- wait, really good.  TOO Good.  I ate a few... dozen over about 3 days (I'm sorta exaggerating... sorta).  I know.  But at least they are gone now.  I am sure I will do better this coming week.

The recipe I wanna share is some dang good pea soup. This recipe is simple and great!  Usually pea soup is not my favorite but this is light and fresh tasting, not overcooked and yucky.  (original recipe from Martha)


Kids will... okay, may eat this... mine did, and she loved it!


Fresh Pea Soup
serves 6-8

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 leek, well cleaned and finely chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1/2 cup flour
8 cups chicken broth ( **or vegetable broth for vegetarian recipe)
1 1/4 pounds fresh, shelled English peas (or frozen bagged peas)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup whole milk (with added 1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk for extra creaminess)
Sugar

Directions:
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, leek, and celery, and cook until soft. Add flour and stir till combined.  Slowly add broth while whisking to keep from making the soup lumpy; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

(***This is the important part that keeps it tasting fresh!! The ice water bath!)
Prepare an ice-water bath. Fill another large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add salt and return to a boil. Add peas and cook until tender, about 5 minutes- don't over cook. Drain and immediately transfer peas to ice-water bath to cool. Drain and add to saucepan with vegetables and stock.

Working in batches, puree the soup in  a blender or food processor (Warning: Use the lid and cover with a towel before starting to keep from spraying hot liquid everywhere!!)   Return to saucepan.  Add milk and place saucepan over low heat. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.  

Serve immediately!  Enjoy!  I like to make a large batch and freeze single servings in freezer bags, laid flat to freeze for easier storing.

Also, if pea soup doesn't sound good to you, I suggest you eat this cuteness up!  (Your welcome!)

Okay then, what are you cooking people? 

Party Rules:
Please grab a button for your linked blog post 
Please become a public follower of Remodelaholic!

** ALSO - I am thankful if when you try a recipe, and ask please link to my post!  That way people can find and join our party, and we will all benefit from some extra traffic love!   

Happy Eating!

6 comments:

laxsupermom April 3, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

I love pea soup, and yours sounds great! Your kids are just too adorable! Thanks for sharing and for hosting this recipe swap each week.

Nina April 3, 2011 at 7:34 AM  

Pea soup MUST be good if you got the kids to eat it :)

This is my second week sharing a recipe here... lots of fun and my recipe box is expanding nicely after reading everyone elses!

Jane April 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

I have never made Pea Soup before. I need to put this on my "To Do" List. Oh my goodness! You have the cutest children! Great pics!

I added my Ginger Hermits this week. Thanks for hosting!

April J Harris April 3, 2011 at 11:44 AM  

I've been cleaning out my freezer and store cupboard recently as well. Love the sound of your pea soup - and it looks like your little one really enjoyed it! Your photos are so cute! Thank you for hosting.

Patricia @ ButterYum April 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM  

Be still my heart - that last picture is tooooooo cute!! Actually, both of your precious ones are!!

:)
ButterYum

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP