We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Girl's Dream Room and Re-purposed Bed to Desk

05 April 2011

The Yellow Cape Cod shows off her Daughter's New Room!

I am so excited to be here at Remodelaholic.  Thank you so much, Cassity, for asking me to be a guest today. 

A little about me.... I am a Banker with 10 years of Real Estate Investment experience.  I also happen to be the Biggest Home Design Enthusiast ever.  The Yellow Cape Cod, my blog, is where I share projects from my home as well as inspiration from others that share my passion for design.  The Yellow Cape Cod provides online design consultations to help others create a home that they love, on any budget.

My daughter went on a surprise trip to Greenwich, Ct. and New York City with her Grannie. While she was gone... I took the opportunity to clean out her room and spruce it up a bit.




Her Bedroom was designed a few years ago.

The original room can been seen over at Rate My Space.

The design was centered around her love of horses and the dot bedding she chose. She has grown up a bit since then. I think it's important that her room grow with her.


A few of the changes I made this week include the addition of the zebra print. She picked it out on a recent trip to the fabric store and asked me to incorporate it into her room. I used it on the bed, and as a background for some of her favorite photos.



The Jewelry box was a thrift store find.   I gave it a coat of spray paint to coordinate with her room.


The stars were a Martha Stewart kit. We hung them up at Christmas time and decided to keep them around for a while.




And last but not least, here is the re-purposed desk project we made for the room.  It began it's life as a vintage four poster bed.  When she made the switch from the crib to her first bed,  Grandpa and Grandma bought it for her at an Estate sale.  




(Before)

When we moved into our new house a few years later, it didn't fit into her new room.  We were both emotionally attached to it and couldn't part with it.  That's when we decided to re-purpose it into a desk.

(After)

With the help of Grandpa, we used a circular saw to remove the headboard and footboard.  Then simply screwed them together on a 90 degree angle, caulked the seam, filled in the screw holes with a little wood putty and touched up the paint.

(After)

I picked up two large wood brackets from Home Depot and screwed them to the bottom of the desk.  We mounted the brackets to the wall and into the studs.


It is now a functional, stylish "Tween" desk with lots of sentimental value.


I can't wait to see what everyone else has been up to at the next Remodelaholic Link-Up Party. You are all so incredibly talented.  Thank you so much, Cassity,  for hosting these great parties and for having me today!

7 comments:

Ms. Bake-it April 5, 2011 at 9:26 AM  

What a fabulous room! I love the colors! I like how she repurposed the original bed which had a strong sentimental value to her and her daughter. When I was growing up I spent most of my summers in New England and when I arrived home from vacation it was to discover that my mother remodeled my room while I was away. She has great taste and I never worried that I would not like the haven she created for me. She knew what I liked and what my interests were and incorporated them into my room. Much like Sarah has done for her daughter.

Great job!

Laura/Hayestone/Design Share April 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM  

This is one of the best girls rooms I've see in a long time. I agree with the other comments, I am a 44 year old tween, cause I could totally live in this room! Love the horse silhouette.
~Laura
www.hayestone.blogspot.com

Kristie at The Decorologist.com April 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM  

Fabulous! What a wonderful room. I have lots of those Martha Stewart pom-poms, which I use for parties and various holidays. Would love to know how you hang yours - that's always an issue for me!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP