We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Beautifully Updated Kitchen With Pops of Yellow!

21 April 2011

Beautifully Updated Kitchen With pops of Yellow! 
by The Empty Nest

 Hello everyone, my name is Janet and I am so excited about guest posting here on the very cool  'Remodeloholic' blog. 

Normally you can find me at my little blog, 'The Empty Nest'.
At The Empty Nest I try to write about different aspects of my life. What I am doing in my studio, what sewing projects I've finished or fabulous fabrics I have brought home. I am an official 'Apronologist' and have been featured in the beautiful Apronology Magazine two times so far. I love rescuing old wool and cashmere sweaters from my local thrift shops (I am addicted to thrift shops!).  I transform them into fun, felted children's cardigans, chic fingerless gloves and more.
I love to paint quaint scenes on canvas and when the weather gets chilly, you can always find me knee deep in gorgeous yarn, knitting needles and crochet hooks. I always have tons of photos with my post also.

 Cassidy and Justin have graciously invited me to share all my information on my recent farmhouse kitchen restyle.
So here we go!
We have lived in this house for 11 years and for much of that time, I have wanted white cabinets.
Since posting my kitchen restyle on my blog, I have received so many e-mails from readers wanting to know the products I used and what my painting technique is.

This was my kitchen before. Basic builders grade oak cabinets...nice, but nothing unique or special.
My walls were actually paprika red and in this photo I had just painted them.
I knew I wanted a farmhouse feel to my kitchen. Maybe some open shelving and definitely lot's of beadboard.
With some old fashioned elbow grease and and a few supplies I achieved this...all for under $500.00


Let's start with my idea board. I started collecting photos of kitchens that I liked. The more farmhouse touches, the better. I loved the idea of some open shelving and a skirt under my sink was a must. 
I loved this look!
and the POP of color here.
So with a design idea in my head, I forged on.
After removing the cabinet doors, I primed the frames with two coats of Glidden Gripper Primer. This product is formulated to adhere to slick surfaces and it works great. I have used Gripper to prime Formica with fabulous results. Let me also say that I prefer (and this is just my preference) to use all water based products in my home. I know many DIY'ers use things like TSP to prep their wood, but good golly, have you read that label? That stuff is toxic! Water based products have vastly improved in the last 15 years and I have never had a durability problem.
Here you can see the former red walls and a test splotch of grey on the wall.
I was concerned that the red would be difficult to cover over. For my walls I chose Behr Ultra Premium in Silvered Sateen eggshell finish, which is a beautiful soft grey color. My kitchen opens into my family room, so I had to go with a color that would suit both areas. This Behr paint is the one with a built in primer.
It covered fabulously! Rolled on evenly, dried fast and with virtually no odor. Don't you just love it when a product does what they advertise?
This wall had a faux brick stencil design that I never quite finished. The Behr Ultra covered it with no problem.
It covered at one coat, but I'm a two coat kinda gal, so two coats later..perfect. I found the vinyl words for $1.50 at my Salvation Army.
Last year I found this cool plate rack at a thrift shop for $18.00 and it sat in my basement for months.
After brushing on some Behr Premium Ultra in black..it was transformed.
I now had the perfect place for it.
After a very light sanding (although it was not needed) I applied two coats of Gripper primer and three coats of the Behr Silvered Sateen in high gloss finish. I started out by rolling the paint on and smoothing with a brush, but ended up using a brush for the whole project. I didn't like the texture I was getting from a roller or a sprayer. My favorite brush is the Purdy XL Cub 2in short handled brush. I use it for everything and if taken care of they last forever. OK...maybe not forever, but you get the idea.
Here is a very important tip.....don't rush the painting process! Let your layers dry AND cure. Acrylic paint can take up to 2 weeks to fully cure (harden).
This paint smooths itself out beautifully.
To keep cost down, I chose simple inexpensive (Home Depot $1.95 ea.) matte black knobs.
I removed three of my cabinet doors to achieve my open shelving look.
I tried out a few colors before deciding to go with the pale yellow you see pictured. I used Martha Stewart paint in Tahini eggshell finish.
I trimmed out and painted the openings to achieve a more finished look. I did not want these to look like someone had just left off the doors. 
Ok..now the we get to install the beadboard back splash and trim. Good advice...measure twice, cut once.
I highly recommend either purchasing, renting or borrowing a pneumatic hammer. It makes all the trim and board work so easy. It is my favorite tool to use.
My island got the beadboard treatment on three sides and new baseboard trim. 
I brought the beadboard all the way down to all the kickplates in the kitchen. 
Tip: paint this BEFORE you install, I learned the hard way. Laying down on the hardwood floor as you try to paint this trim is not fun! Pass the Advil please.
Adding nice simple trim is so easy and inexpensive.
 To give my plain cabinets a more custom look, I added beadboard to the ends of the cabinets.
I feel it made a huge difference.
Also to the outside wall of the recessed fridge opening. It totally transforms the space and was so easy to do.
I found a pretty vintage look cotton for my sink skirt.
A little simple straight stitch and I had myself a sink skirt. I used a tension rod to hang the skirt. The great thing about this is that all I have to do to change the look of my room is to change the skirt out and repaint inside the open cabinets. Instant new kitchen!
I found these wood corbels at my Home Depot for $8.00 each.  They had the simple lines I was looking for. I primed and painted them prior to installation.
I think they make all the difference. For only $64.00 I was able to create a real designer look. Once installed, I gave the backsplash and corbels two coats of paint to give it a seamless finish.
I also tend to over trim...I trimmed every edge. I know... it's a sickness.
 My glassware cabinet became a pretty open mini china and crystal cabinet. Perfect for all my thrift store tea cups and crystal treasures. Extra decor touches like the painted  glass sugar jar and canvas placemat I did of my cat Whisper, make this a more personal space.
I also said bye-bye to lots of small area rugs I had on my floors. I much prefer to see my beautiful wood.
Extra decor touches like the plate display above the cabinets came courtesy of the Salvation Army. Can you tell I am a thrifting addict?
 I am so happy with the results. My kitchen is now everything I always wanted.
See what I mean about the corbels. These cabinets no longer have that bland basic look...they look special.
 
Before the restyle, my island blended in with the oak cabinets. Turns out, only the front was real wood! Now with the black beadboard, the island looks like a separate piece of furniture. Which was exactly my goal.
I really love how everything came together to give me the Farmhouse kitchen that I have been dreaming of.
I do have a few tips for those of you thinking of tackling a kitchen restyle.
1. Don't be afraid..it's just wood and paint. All mistakes are fixable
2. Buy good brushes. They will clean up better and last much longer and that will save you money. One of the reasons I was able to keep costs down was taking care of my brushes. I did not have to spent money on new brushes for this project.
3. Keep paint off the ferrule (metal band) of the brush. At the end of the day you can tightly wrap your brush in plastic and continue using the next day. Be sure to clean after the second day.
4. Whenever I see coupons for my local hardware stores I take advantage of them.
I used 3 10% off Lowes coupons for my beadboard and paint at Home Depot...YES,  they honor each others coupons!
5. Buy good quality paint..there is a difference! It makes me cringe when I read a blogger saying she used the cheapest paint she could find to tackle a big home painting job.
Don't skimp...if it is worth doing, it is worth doing correctly.
6. When sanding in between coats, save money and use plain brown grocery bags. Tear into approx 5x5in pieces and use just like sand paper. Works great with virtually no residue and much gentler on your hands. I learned this tip as a decorative painter.
6. Remember to have fun...you are creating a space in your home where you will laugh, love and be together. Enjoy the process.
7. Be sure to stand back, admire proudly and pat yourself on the back. You've earned it.

Products I used:
Behr Ultra Premium in Bleached Linen for the white cabinets
1 Gallon Behr Ultra Premium Sliver Sateen
1 Gallon Gliddon Gripper Primer
1 Quart Martha Stewart Tahini (barely used half)
3 sheets 4x8 Beadboard
Appox 36 feet trim (I reused old wherever I could)
1 Yard fabric
1 Tension rod
24 knobs (reused island knobs)
assorted decor items from my Salvation Macy's (Army)
All totaling $493.55

I hope I have answered many of your questions. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have more.
Many thanks to Cassity and Justin for inviting me to guest post. This was fun...now go paint your cabinets!!

24 comments:

Janet Metzger, Artist April 21, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

Good Morning Cassidy and Justin,

Thanks so much for inviting me to showcase my kitchen. I hope I inspire those of you sitting on the fence to jump off and get painting!

cheers,
Janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Juniper April 21, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

I love Janet and this kitchen remodel made her my hero! I plan to pick her brain when I help my mother in law tackle her own kitchen this summer!

Craftcherry April 21, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

Oh my goodness! So beautiful! I don't think there is one thing I don't like about this kitchen!! Such great tips too. Thanks so much for sharing!

ANNE April 21, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

I so love what you've done - I want your kitchen!!! I started my kitchen reno 8 months ago but ran out of steam and wherewithal last fall when things weren't quite working the way I had envisioned. Now I'm inspired to go back to working on it again. Thank you so much for sharing!

Linda in AZ * April 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM  

*** WHAT a DIFFERENCE!!! You SHOULD (and CAN!) be SO VERY PROUD of yourself... looks juat PERFECT!!!... Fresh, NEW and "all you"!!!

Blessngs,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

The enchanted home April 21, 2011 at 8:07 AM  

Gorgeous!! Love all the extras, a big fan of the open shelving..such a great way to dispaly all the pretties!

Katie April 21, 2011 at 8:19 AM  

I love your kitchen. My only question is did you paint the inside of your cabinets that you kept the doors on? I have really dark cabinets and want to paint them white. I'm debating on whether I should paint the inside as well.

Again, absolutely love your kitchen. This really makes me feel like I can tackle this project myself!

Janet Metzger, Artist April 21, 2011 at 8:27 AM  

@ Katie..no Katie, I did not paint the insides and you really don't notice. I even had to look just now to see if I had or not...that's how not noticeable it is. It is just not a detail your eye is drawn to. Does that make sense?

Janet xox
The Empty Nest

Katie April 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

@Janet THANK YOU! I was hoping it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five April 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful -- and inspiring -- transformation. And done on a budget to boot. LOVE that.

Rachel April 21, 2011 at 9:21 AM  

GREAT post! Chock full of information in 'lay persons' terms. Thank, Janet, for a great post. And thank YOU, Cassidy, for featuring this great post! She (Janet) achieved the look I'm going for when I redo my kitchen (hopefully this summer).

Sandy A April 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM  

Your kitchen is just beautiful! I love the touches of yellow and the fabric you used at the sink. The island looks amazing. Fantastic job!

Atelier Conti April 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM  

Janet is one of my favorite crafty ladies and her blog is a must-read for me every week. I saw her new kitchen emerge over several posts on the Empty Nest. It's truly inspiring to watch her work. She makes it seem easy.

Lesley April 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM  

I have to say, my kitchen is exactly the same color. We moved in a year ago and, as beautiful as the wood is, there's just too much of it.
Oak floors, oak cabinets, oak everything...

I've been tossing the idea of painting them white around for months but I can't get my husband to come around to the idea. I want a country/ vintage/ shabby chic / farmhouse thing going on and you're kitchen has totally inspired me to get my butt in gear and just do it already! I'm keeping the oak floors and painting the cabinets white and doing a light turquoise and yellow treatment for the walls.
The beadboard is exquisite and the wood corbels makes a world of difference!
Seriously, way to go! You have my dream kitchen!

Teresa@magazineyourhome April 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM  

Can we say G E O R G E O U S? What a wonderful job you did on your kitchen. It looks so fresh and inviting.

Janet Metzger, Artist April 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

You guys are making me blush!
@Leslie...just go for it! Show your husband my kitchen and tell him a girl did all of this and on a tight budget...challenge him! You won't regret it.

Thanks for all the sweet comments ;->?

janet xox
The Empty Nest

Suzy April 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM  

Janet, I love what you've done! That has to be the perfect gray. Exactly what I'm wanting in my own kitchen, along with painting my cabinets white! I'm confused about what color paint you used on your cabinets. It's obviously white but you said you used silvered sateen?

Janet Metzger, Artist April 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

@Suzy...so sorry if did not make it clear about my colors. The cabinets were painted with Behr Ultra Bleached Linen and the walls are Behr Ultra Silvered Sateen.
Hope that clears things up ;->

janet xox

Suzy April 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM  

Thanks soo much Janet! I can't wait to get some samples of both colors. I'm now a follower of your charming blog!

Tawra Jean April 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM  

That's beautiful!! We are having a house built right now. While I hate the builder grade cabinets they are putting in I just don't know if I can bring myself to paint brand new cabinets.

I've painted cabinets before and the paint chipped badly. Maybe it was too cheap but now I'm scared to do it again and not have it stick. :-)

I LOVE the farmhouse look. I just bought a cast iron vintage farm sink with a drainboard. I didn't know we would be able to get a brand new house and now my sink won't fit. :-( I may have to at least put up some beadboard. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Tawra

Miss B.e.e. April 23, 2011 at 8:28 AM  

Absolutely gorgeous! Amazing what paint can do, isn't it?! I have similar plans for my kitchen and hopefully will blog about/do it this summer. I'm working on a laundry room right now and this blog entry reminds me of the one I just did last night on my laundry plans. Can't wait to check out your other entries! Come visit if you get a minute:
http://beeinteriors.blogspot.com

Susie May 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

Thanks so much for the step-by-step instructions and products. I am attempting to paint my cupboards white soon and I am so glad I ran across this post. This helps a ton!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP