We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Wisteria Inspired Dresser Redo

07 March 2011

Wisteria Inspired Dresser Redo

contributed by Down On Sanford


To start off: AHHHH! I've finally finished this dresser! I started working on it way back in August, and it kept getting put off, having complications and being forgotten about so I'm very relieved to be done with it!


I drew my inspiration for the dresser from one particular piece of furniture on the Wisteria site:

I love the muted tones and the faded, washed sort of look it has.

I knew going into it that I wasn't going to be able to strip the dresser down to bare wood like the wisteria dresser for the very simply reason that the sides weren't real wood. So I had to compromise. I ended up doing multiple layers of paints in different colors in an attempt to emulate wood grain.

I started by painting the entire dresser with a basic sort of light tan color that somewhat matched the color of bare wood. I then thinly and evenly washed over a very dark brown color. After that was dry I finished by washing a lighter gray color over top of the brown color. I'm pretty pleased with the result, I hope you all will be too!

Before I show you the dresser I think I better show you the before picture.


Charming, isn't it? I'm not sure when this sort of look was in style but...yikes!




Okay, so now, without further ado, here is the after:



Doesn't look like a months long project, does it? :P

Honestly, the only reason it took so long was because of my tendency to get bored with a project and just let it sit around unfinished.




Although the hardware isn't particularly "wisteria-ish" I kept it because I didn't have the money to spend on new ones and I thought they looked fairly wonderful anyways. Of course, I did freshen them up a bit by sanding them down so you can see the shiny metal on parts, which I think helps tremendously.

I also did away with the double handles on each drawer and just put a single one in the center.





These little wheels are one of the things I really love about this dresser.





As I said above, I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out, it doesn't look a whole lot like the inspiration photo, but it has the same sort of feel, and that's really all I wanted.

I also wanted to thank you all for your incredibly kind comments! I was surprised at how many of you said you were inspired by my work. For me, inspiring people is the ultimate compliment and truly humbling, so thanks! I hope some of you will send me the links to any projects I may have inspired, because I certainly love to see them!

6 comments:

Little Miss Penny Wenny March 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM  

Robby, this is phenomenal! I also am so digging the casters. You did a great job :)

Barbara March 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM  

I can totally see what you were going for from the inspiration photo. Looks like you achieved it to me! Very nice.

B March 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

Wow, you did such a great job! I think it definitely has the same feel as the inspiration dresser. Thanks for the close up photos too!

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

Jenny March 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM  

I love the layered paint look! I'd like to do something similar to my dining room table. Do you have your paint color names handy? Seems like you might have dry brushed it on?

lisaroy March 8, 2011 at 3:42 AM  

It looks so beautiful! Definitely the same feel and worth the wait! :)

orange sugar March 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM  

This is very nice. I'd love to see a tutorial.

Sort of looks like the grey stained oak cabinets in this kitchen.
http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitchens/modern-wood-kitchen

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP