We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Scrabble Living Large: Family Names Art Project

22 March 2011


This is a project that I have been working on for a year....  because everything gets better with age, like cheese and stuff right??  Or because, that is how I do crafty projects... i.e. I never finish them!

BUT I had some great motivation with this awesome Silhouette SD giveaway we are having and I decided it was time to finish it (like in the last 5 minutes...)!  And it was the perfect time to add another member to our family game!

When I first started this project I had some problems, and I think I can help you to avoid them in part!

Supplies:
A 2" x 2" or 4" x 4"
Vinyl lettering (could use paper, or paint if not available!)
Modpodge (satin finish if you can get it) or Polycrylic finish

Tools:
Silhouette SD machine ("Ahhh" can you hear that?  the heavens are singing...)
Miter saw (or hand saw, a mitering box and A LOT of patience!)

Okay first on a piece of paper, or in a spreadsheet on the computer you are going to have to figure out the layout of your family names.  This can be fun and frustrating.  When I started last year and we only had the three names I thought it would be fun to add the word Family too.  So, if you have to add some adjectives or other nouns in there that works too!

Here are some of the options I came up with:



You need to decide on a good thickness to cut you scrabble tiles.  I did mine at 3/4 of and inch, for a 4" x 4" that I had left over from our headboard project.  You simply cut these slices from your wood, but be careful, Remodelaholic is not liable for your injuries...

In order to get uniform pieces it may be easiest to set up a 1/2 inch or 3/4 stop and then you simply push your wood through to the stop and cut, cut, cut!  That way you don't have to remeasure every time.  A stop looks something like the image below only in our case a lot closer to the blade.  For your safety you do not want to handle the small piece that you are cutting off until it had been cut and the blade has been moved away.

I found a little video on a wood working site that explains stops if you have a question about it.  ** On the video he uses a really tall piece of wood, that isn't necessary in this case, and may get in the way of the saw blade, just FYI.


Okay, now the cool part about using a 4x4 cut into slices is that you get to see the rings for the wood.  I think it adds some interest.  And if you look at little scrabble tiles they have this grain too, although maybe not the full rings... but anyway.


After you've made the cuts your edges are a little ragged and need to be sanded down to clean up the edge.

Now you have your perfect tiles ready to be painted (optional) and sealed.  The wood I had was dark, and I wanted the letters to pop, so I did a light wash of white acrylic paint to even out the tone and make the letter stand out.

In previous attempts, I learned the hard way that not sealing the wood first will result in vinyl or stickers of any sort from sticking, and you will get bubbles and wrinkles and basically one hot mess.  So, seal front and back your tiles if you are using vinyl.  I choose to use Mod-podge since I was pregnant and didn't want to fume up my house.

But also, I didn't have black vinyl... no problem I used my Silhouette machine to cut out black cardstock and mod-podged it on there...  (the lighting for this picture is bad, the tiles doesn't actually look that white)


Add letters with modpodge and lightly go over the whole tile. ( you can see it drying in the image below...)

In order to hang these on the wall I just hot glued some push pins to the back of the "tile", and pushed them in place into my drywall...  Now the only problem, I am not really sure where I am planning on using these, so for now I just made a million new holes in our wall!  I think these would be really fun in a game room - i wish I had one, don't you?

Oh, and did you notice?  Instead of the numbers across the bottom of Justin's tiles I wrote "Family"  Look really close!

What do you think?

And while doing research for this project I came upon the image below... you could make that it a snap!  And with the money you saved you could take me out to dinner and really nice steak dinner, I'm just sayin' is all.

I guess that the company Posh Tots used to sell this for a cool (cough) $500 doll hairs...
Can you believe it?  Yikes!

30 comments:

Nini Violette March 22, 2011 at 7:08 AM  

I LOVE IT...KEEP ON DOING NICE CREATIONS
NINI
http://nini-violette.blogspot.com/

Laragh xoxo March 22, 2011 at 7:33 AM  

Wow! It looks fabulous. As a scrabble enthusiast, this project warms my heart.
www.youandi365.blogspot.com

Mikey Fuller March 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM  

These are really great! I have a box of vintage scrabble letters somwhere waiting for a project! I can't wait to get my kitchen remodle finished. I hope you'll check it out! I think I've managed to do it for under $1,500.00 including labor!

Monsters House March 22, 2011 at 7:57 AM  

I had to follow your blog as soon as I saw this project! I am a huge "words w/ friends" addict and this is so stinking cute! I have to try this, its on my long list of "to do" now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Phoebe March 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM  

Love, love, love this idea. So fabulous. We are hoping to create a game room in our basement. Must keep this in mind for future use!

Kim @ keller-creative March 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

I love it! What a great idea and I love the "family" part.

www.keller-creative.com

laxsupermom March 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

I love this project! We love Scrabble at our house, and this would look great over the fireplace in our family room. Thanks for sharing.

Hyphen Interiors March 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM  

That is so cute!! Creative. I like it! Thanks for posting. I may have to try this out myself... especially if I win that giveaway. :)

3krazychics March 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM  

I think this is so stinkin' cute! Our family loves to play scrabble, I think I will try this.

Cassidy March 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM  

This turned out great! So fun and personalized! I will definitely be doing one!

Unknown March 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

I LOVE that! So cute! It reminds me of a pillow that my grandma cross-stitched with all the family names on it!

meghangramsey March 22, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

This is sooo cute. I am a Willow House Consultant and post creative decor ideas on my facebook page. I posted about this project with a link to your site! Thanks!

COTTAG3 March 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM  

That is so clever! I love it. My entire extended family loves playing Scrabble during family get togethers. They will love this!

Rebecca@This Present Life March 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM  

I love this project! I don't know that I'll ever attempt it (not 'til I win that Silhouette machine!) but I love how yours turned out!

Shan March 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM  

I so want to do this now! Way cute! Thanks for sharing. I can tell I will be coming back a LOT! Great ideas, for sure! :)

Jeanene March 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM  

What a cute idea! And you made it look so good, and professional.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeanene@thequeenbeeshive.com

kristy.lynn @ kristy.makes March 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM  

holy wow! this is just amazing.. i've never gotten much into the scrabble stuff with the little tiles, but this is SUCH a statement piece! i love it!

thanks for sharing! found you via all thingz related!

MojoMama March 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

This is really awesome! I'd love to do something like this on our wall1 I just don't know where I'd put it, haha!

rose March 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM  

OHHHH! my hubby and i are total scrabble junkies- this is so awesome! i love it!

Kelly March 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM  

Just found you from Mod Podge Rocks! Glad I did! Entered your drawing for the Silhouette too. YEAH for giveaways!

HoosierHomemade March 24, 2011 at 7:52 AM  

I have some pictures that have been needing to be put on a wall to make a family wall. This will be PERFECT!! Thanks for inspiring me!
~Liz

Matthew July 8, 2011 at 9:01 AM  

I totally stole your idea and I love it! Thanks for being so creative so the rest of us can copy.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP