We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Faux Crown Molding

08 March 2011

Faux Crown Molding
contributed by Hi Sugarplum!


Are you ready to be mildly wildly impressed?!? Are you like me and easily wooed by an easy and inexpensive DIY project? Then today's mega-post is for you!

A major component in Babygirl's Room is complete....the Faux Crown Molding!!

100_2929

Love it? What if I told you the total cost was $30?!? Now you're impressed! Here's the 'How-To.'

I'll save you oodles of time wandering the aisles of Home Depot, while on the phone describing every possible option to your aunt, and just tell you what to get! 



Picnik collage

This 1-inch trim is literally like a condensed foam (you could dent it with your fingernail), weighs virtually nothing, comes in 8-foot strips, and costs $2.38 each! 

First measure the perimeter of your room, then double it (for two rows of trim). Then divide that number by 8 (length of each trim piece). That's how many pieces of trim you'll needI needed 95 feet, or 12 pieces, for a total cost of $29! I was feeling spendy and picked up an extra piece in case I goofed.

I'll help you out again and tell you that even though these things are light as a feather, they do not want to be glued to the wall (even if you tape them in place and curse them up and down). But since they are so lightweight, and not a solid material, a simple finishing nail with a little teeth is all you need to adhere them to the wall.


Picnik collage


Most average rooms will require very few cuts since there are 4 straight walls and these pieces are so long. Babygirl's Room has a bit of an alcove where the door is, so we had some smaller sections to contend with. 

First I started with a full 8-foot piece and hung it by tapping in a nail every 18-24 inches. I did this on all the main walls and was left with a single space on each wall that required a smaller piece (plus the alcove).

To cut smaller pieces, simply measure the space and follow this pictorial demonstrated by my cute helper:


Picnik collage

Don't worry if it's not a completely clean break. Mr. Sugarplum rubbed a little spackle (so much easier than caulk)over the seams to bridge the gaps, then lightly sanded it down once dry. I didn't bother covering the nails since they are white and teeny-tiny, you don't even see them from the floor.


Picnik collage

Of course I found some discrepancies in the wall and the trim bowed in a few spots. No problem, just tap in a nail and it will lay flat.,


Picnik collage

A few trips up-and-down the ladder, and Voila!


Picnik collage

I could have left it with just the stripe and it'd have a similar effect. But the trim gives it a little heft and dimension.

Picnik collage

Here's the process again (read about it here and here):

Picnik collage

I am thrilled with the outcome. I think it gives her room the added interest I was looking for, and my mishap became a blessing in disguise because I'm in love with the painted ceiling!


Picnik collage

True I could have installed a traditional crown molding...but it would have cost a lot more, and been extremely labor intensive (anything requiring a saw becomes too laborious for me!) My investment for this project was $30 in materials and a couple hours of time. And the trim pops out pretty easily and leaves only a pin hole if I change my mind later.

Here's the door alcove I mentioned (and a glimpse into the Dining Room, where drapery samples are taped up!)

100_2932

I love the mirror hanging over her door...it reminds me of a transom, and reflects the beautiful ceiling! I'm forcing myself to partially ignore the fabric samples laying all over my house until this room is complete. 

So what do you think of my Faux Crown Molding? Do you have any faux treatments in your home?

11 comments:

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} March 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

this would be great for my boys' room as our colonial has really funky angles that would make real crown a headache...

looks great!

p.s. {I am with you on the anonymous comments...got a freaky one the other day...going to off that on my own blog as well...if you write it, you should own it, right???}

Joy@aVintageGreen March 8, 2011 at 11:16 PM  

That was brilliant. I can think of using that trim technique is other areas. Thank you for starting a new train of thought.
- Joy

Kat's Purrfect Boutique March 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

I didn't know about the light weight trim. I'm going to use that for "framing" in my bedroom.

Your daughter's room looks great.

Unknown March 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

When I get around to painting my daughters rooms again upstairs with all the different angles,i am going to try this. First, I will go to home Depot and check the molding out. Thanks so much for the insight to the room. I love what you did and the mirror just added a extra touch.

Hannah- Art.Paper.Scissors.Glue! April 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

Oops... and sorry, one last question... how wide of a stripe did you paint? I have 8' ceilings... Thanks!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP