We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Fabulous Pieced Map Art Tutorial

31 March 2011

Fabulous Pieced Map Art Tutorial By Creative Juices Decor

What fun to be able to do a guest post on Cassity's blog!

My name is Selina and I come to you from Creative Juices Décor.  What you will find on my blog is lots of inspiration for all your Creative Juices!  I am an interior designer by degree and LOVE home design/decorating, thrift store shopping, healthy recipes and crafting.  I have 3 young kids so I also have fun thinking of crafts for them to do.  Come stop by, I think you’ll be inspired! 
Today I am going to show you how I turned a $2.00 thrift store map into a large piece of art!






This project was inspired by wanting a large piece of art (on the cheap!) for my 7 year old son’s room.  I had picked up this map from the thrift store for $2 and knew if I got my Creative Juices flowing I could figure a great way to use it! I went to Michaels and picked up a bunch of canvases at 40% off.  I spent 29.00 on all 12.


Next I spray painted the edges with a left over blue from a previous project.  I am a sucker for anything AGED looking so I spray painted some brown on the edges too.

Once dry, I brushed on some Mod Podge and attached my cut out map pieces.
 

Once that dried (I turned them over to add some weight to the drying process) I wanted to age the edges just a little more so I took out my inking pad, or chalk pad, and “aged” the edges.  I also put a little brown glaze on the map itself to try to give it some more character. Anyway, once dry I came back and put Mod Podge over the top, quite thick,  and in criss-cross strokes.

VOILA!!!  Really, that wasn’t too hard.  Now I have a BIG piece of wall art for under 35.00! 






Stay creative with me folks – even if you didn’t find a map at a thrift store you could take this same technique and make a large canvas art display. Just apply Mod Podge to your photos and apply it to the canvas.  It makes it look like a designer print on canvas.  The possibilities are endless.  How about cutting out a favorite fabric and applying that to the canvas? 

Please stop by Smile and I hope to continue to inspire all your Creative Juices!!!

Photobucket

6 comments:

laxsupermom March 31, 2011 at 9:09 AM  

Love this project! Selina's map was one of the inspiration pics I used for my own DIY Map Wall Art. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and the pictures are showing up for me.

Christie March 31, 2011 at 11:35 AM  

I am TOTALLY making this. We have had a map sitting rolled up the basement waiting for me to do something with it. We want to put pins in all the places we've been and go to. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Thank you!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP