We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Dresser Re-do With Cowhide Drawer Fronts

11 March 2011

Dresser Re-do With 
Cowhide Drawer Fronts
contributed by The V Spot


Hooray! I might actually be ahead of a trend!
There was a fabulous collection of cowhide rugs show-cased at The Stories of A to Z. I don't know that I want a whole (very expensive!) hide. However, I am glad I hung on to a dresser re-do from a while back. I did this project for an old cabin we had several years ago, but I liked it so much that I kept it even after we sold our cabin.

I'm using it as a buffet in our dining room.





This dresser started out as a purple, aqua and white monstrosity. Someone tried their hand at sponge-painting. However, it was solid and was only $25 on craigslist.



I used a chemical paint stripper, scrapers and finally a wire brush to get the paint off. Since it was acrylic paint, it really wasn't too bad.

Once all of the paint was off it was obvious the dresser had previously been stained a dark wood color. It looked old and rustic (perfect for a cabin), so I just rubbed a little wood polish onto it.

I scoured ebay looking for genuine cowhide. After a couple of weeks I had enough to do the drawer fronts.



Each of the drawer fronts had a raised rectangular panel. I cut the cowhide to size and then used regular old Goop/Gorilla Glue to adhere the hide to the wood. (I had been thinking that if I got tired of the cowhide, I could also do a similar treatment with burlap or some other fabric...)
I used nail-head upholstery trim on the edges. This was the fabulous trim that comes in a roll and you only need to nail in every 5th or 6th nail-head. Making sure the corners lined up well was a bit of a challenge, but otherwise it was very easy.



I like the texture it adds. I used the hole placement from the old knobs to poke a hole in the cowhide and add new ones.





This definitely falls under the "eclectic" category of home decor. I put all the things I like together... doesn't matter the style, as long as it is pleasing to my eye. I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of design rules, but I figure if Ilike it, then it works in my home.


17 comments:

Jaime Costiglio March 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

Pretty sure "draw" should be drawer in the post title, would that be a Massachusetts accent coming through? It's a great redo that's for sure, totally unique.

banclothing March 11, 2011 at 5:35 PM  

I like it; definitly a great piece for a cabin. The before was dreadful and commend you for all the hours it must have taken to get the paint off!

Anne Magee March 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM  

This is beautiful! I love it! The nailheads add just the right touch :)

Fash Boulevard March 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM  

OMG. I love your blog. My name's Anna, I'm a stylist and visual merchandiser in LA. I'm 23 years old and moved to California after graduating back in south with a degree in visual merchandiser. I've worked with such designers as Max Azria, Nicole Richie, and my idol Rachel Zoe. I'd love if you visited my new blog for multiple posts a day on all things fashion. I'd love the support. I'm following you, I hope you'll do the same. Thanks so much.

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  March 11, 2011 at 8:11 PM  

I think it's super cool and who cares about design rules as long as you love it! You're the one who has to live with it. Super cool redo!

Erin W March 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

Oh My Lord! I seriously LOVE this! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm pretty sure I have to make one of these now :)

Sommer March 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

Isn't this Ahhhmazing?!! V and I were just chatting earlier and I completely forgot to mention to her how awesome I thougt her dresser was!

O.C. March 12, 2011 at 5:22 AM  

Love the concept of this. There are a lot of possibilities with all the various real and faux leathers out there that a person could use.

Anonymous,  March 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

I'm so glad someone else has my philosophy! If I like it, then it looks good in my home! It leaves so much more room for creativity!

Myya March 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM  

That looks great! What a difference that made. I don't know how you always manage to do it, but you sure know how to turn everyday stuff I would most likely throw out & turn it into fabulous pieces of art!

Amanda March 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM  

Excellent work. I would have never thought of putting fur on a dresser. It really looks great!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP