We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Fresh Pineapple and Peach Crumble and Recipe Link Party

27 February 2011

Continuing with my recent weight loss goals post, lets talk about how the week went.

I lost 9 pounds so that is awesome (it's probably mostly fluids, but heck I'll take it!).  I still have a lot to go, and can only really fit into two pairs of pants...urgh, it was so much easier with the first!

I still have some thoughts about how I plan on losing the weight.  I don't want to "diet"  I am planning instead on changing the way I eat and think about food... for good!  See, normally when it comes to diets, I am ALWAYS trying to cheat.  I try to figure out ways to get stuff I want that I am not supposed to have by tweaking recipes, sometimes this is a way to get great, not so horrible recipes, other times it just leads to me eating a lot of stuff that is not as bad for but but also not satisfying.  I realize cheating diets is the wrong way to go about things... but I also sorta hate to be told what to do... hard headed I guess!  (and maybe, if you try todays recipe you can thank me for always trying to make decently non offensive desserts)

While I was pregnant and eating nothing but junk, I realized that when I was done- (and ready) I needed to make some serious changes.  Starting with the way I plan and eat my meals.  I am hoping this strategy works, we will have to see over the next few weeks. 

In the past, I had been totally focused on grains/fiber.  My thought has been if there is enough fiber then it is okay.  Fiber is good, but basing my eating choices solely on the amount of fiber(eating mostly breads) and thinking that would make it okay, is not.

What I have decided I am going to do is switch my focus.  My new goal is eating vegetables.  When it comes to meals, I eat veggies first!  What I want to do is basically switch out the base of my "Food Guide Pyramid" from grains to Fruits and Vegetables- mostly vegetables.  Then grains, whole grains only, then the rest can stay intact.

When it comes to lunch and dinner, I am going to eat my veggies and some fruit servings first, to start filling me up, then I can eat the rest, be it left overs from the main course at dinner or what not.

Okay, so that is the basic daily eating plan, but I still have these cravings... for desserts.  In fact it usually happens daily.  I know that if I deny myself desserts it will backfire.  But I need to find some decent dessert alternatives in the mean time.  I think I've come up with one option, and that is what I am sharing with you today!  Yes it has a lot of natural sugar, but is made up almost exclusively of fruit and whole grains (I 'm stretching aren't I) Oh well, I ate this during this week and I still lost weight.



Fresh Pineapple and Peach Crumble

1 fresh pineapple cored and peeled and chopped into bite size pieces 
2 cans of sugar free (no splenda added) peaches, drained of juice
2 Tbsp white flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup coconut (optional- but dang good!)
1 cup whole wheat flour ( I used white whole wheat)
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter

Cut pineapple into small pieces, the size of a nickel would be perfect(I cut mine into pieces that were a bit big, and would have liked them a little smaller- they don't cook down quite as much as the peaches!) and peaches into bite size pieces and mix in flour.  Place in 9 x 13 baking dish.  Sprinkle lightly with chocolate chips (if you are a chocoholic like me)

In a separate bowl add oatmeal, whole wheat four, brown sugar and small cut up cubes of cold butter.  Work these together with a pastry knife, your fingers or forks, until well combined (because of the small amount of butter, it will not be as crumbly as you might expect!) add coconut, mix and sprinkle evenly over the top of the fruit.

Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Since my husband didn't want chocolate chips we only did them on half.



It helps to have a young child asking for chocolate chips working with you!
(someone also asked for a picture of my chubs, so here you go)



I forgot to photograph when serving sorry.  
It is good with ice cream, the slow-churned or double churned vanilla is good.

Also, I left a few chocolate chips on top of the chocolate side so we would know... cuz you don't want any surprises... like no chocolate on your dessert!

What cooking have you been up to?


Party Rules:
Please grab a button for your linked blog post 
Please become a public follower of Remodelaholic!

** ALSO - I would be really thankful if when you try a recipe, and want to post about it that you not copy the actual recipe into your post from my blog.  Instead, please link to my post for the recipe.  That way people can find and join our party, and we will all benefit from some extra traffic love!   If the recipe is a guest feature, please link to the original author's blog post that is hyper linked at the top of the page!

Thank you!
Remodelaholic










**EDIT I tried a different version of the linky (above), that I do NOT love- I didn't realize you wouldn't see the links on my site!  So, I am adding this linky below, link up to that and I will use it from now on!  SORRY!

13 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light February 27, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

Cassity you are so ambitious after just having a baby! I am very impressed that you are already committed to losing weight - I was eating a big bowl of ice cream every night whilst feeding the babes! This recipe sounds yummy - I'll definitely try it. Thanks for sharing!

Christina February 27, 2011 at 7:27 AM  

Thanks for posting this...I may just have to try it!

I'm now starting week 2 of WW...and I lost 4 pounds last week...yay! I agree 100% with you about changing the way I think about food/"diets". Right on!

Brianna! February 27, 2011 at 7:48 AM  

oh me oh my
my pawpaw would LOVE this
guess I will be trying it out very very soon:)

xoxo
bB

laxsupermom February 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM  

Congrats on the weight loss! I unintentionally lost 12 lbs during my son's wrestling season, because we were so focused on eating lots of fruit, veggies, and fiber to help him stay in his weight class. 2 of the recipes I featured during the season were stirfried chicken & noodles featured brown rice & flax seed noodles and tons of veggies, and my protein, fiber, and vitamin packed sweet potato chocolate chip muffins.

The crumble looks fantastic! We rarely skip dessert here, either. I think adding the coconut is genius! It must taste just like summer. Thanks for sharing and for hosting this recipe swap each week.

Kalen February 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

That looks delicious & congratulations on losing 9 pounds! Who cares where the weight comes from?? It needs to start somewhere & that's still 9 pounds of water! I must recommend sparkpeople.com! I've been using it for 4 years and lost 50 pounds. It's a great lifestyle change site & recipe source. I love it there. Think weight watchers, but free. :-) Good luck!!!

Heidi February 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM  

As a lover of all things food - recipes, family dinners, potlucks, cooking, etc., I know the diet dilemma. I've have great luck with Dr. Oz's information. I linked one of his recipes that my family and I enjoy, Royal Pasta Provencale.

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love February 27, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

This looks really yummy! I linked your site into my blog parties and brought apple pizza today. Thanks so much for hosting...I love all the recipes and all the wonderful sites!

Michele February 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM  

9lbs! Way to go!!! This recipe sounds delish! And, I have had the hardest time losing the baby weight after the second. The first was not problem at all. I don't want to discourage you but to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing. You are much more discplined than I was after having #2. I would probably have lost the weight sooner if I took your approach. So, keep it up :)

Christina February 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

That looks delicious! I think it's great that you're replacing your grains with veggies. I am trying (not very successfully since I'm pregnant and having a hard time controlling my cravings) to eat a primal diet which doesn't allow for any grains, among other things like sugar, corn, beans, and certain oils. Grains, even whole grains, are not a necessary part of a healthy diet. You can get all of the fiber you need from veggies and fruit. If you're interested check out marksdailyapple.com. The success stories are inspiring, and the recipes are wonderful.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman February 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

wow, that looks yummy! thanks for hosting this link party. and, congrats on the weight loss! :-)

momstheword February 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

Good for you for wanting to eat healthy and not be extreme! After my first child the weight just poured off. I was in my regular clothes in less than two weeks.

However, child #2 took forever. Mostly because I was busy and instead of eating healthy I'd just grab an unhealthy snack, I guess.

Have you seen myfitnesspal.com? It's a free website that you can use to track your calories. I have lost 7 pounds so far (on my way to 20) and it helps me stay on track. No baby weight for me, just weight!

Katie March 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM  

Hi Cassidy,
I know just how you are feeling! I had a baby 9 months ago and was NOT loosing the weight. I knew it was my sugar addiction. I guess I was ready to make a huge change--I made the goal to not eat sugar for 3 months. I lost the weight I had gained from pregnancy plus more! Now, 6 months later, I sugary stuff doesn't appeal to me and I only eat it rarely! Life-changing. That first month of cutting it I was having serious withdrawals and cravings but after getting past that--its not a part of my food thinking/cravings anymore!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP