We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Free DIY Modern Painted Border Idea

15 February 2011

Free DIY Modern Painted Border Idea
contributed by House Tweaking
It’s Feature Friday!  On Fridays, I’ll be featuring one room in my house in its current condition even if there are some things I’d like to change about it.  If I do happen to improve something later, I can always revisit it when the time comes.  Plus, I’d kinda feel dishonest if I only focused on “finished” rooms in my house.  And if what they (the professionals) say is true, a room is never really finished anyways…you’re always tweaking it.  Concentrating on just one room weekly should give me some time to tidy it up a bit, too.  At least, I can throw all the toys into another room!
On the other side of my pantry, lies the only bathroom on the main floor…the powder room.  It’s painted one shade darker than the rest of our downstairs main living space.  I wish it had a window.

I’ve never quite figured out why it’s called a ‘powder room’.  We don’t do any powdering of any kind in here.
I replaced the frameless builder mirror with an oval oak one that I found at a local antique store for $20.  Of course, I painted it white.
secured a towel hook to the wall at kid-level for the lil’ people in our house.  They really do use it!
The wooden step stool serves double duty.  1) It gives the kids a boost to reach the sink when they wash their hands.  **Key word being when.**  2) It hides up to 3 rolls of toilet paper surplus.
A wall shelf contains typical toiletries:  toothbrushes, toothpaste, fingernail clippers, mouthwash, etc.  And a few atypical ones as well:  sunscreen, bug spray, boys’ hair pomade.
The shelves are necessary storage since the pedestal sink offers none.
I DIY’d this reed diffuser using a 25-cent Goodwill vase, 99-cent chopsticks and vanilla bean scented oil from Wal-Mart.  Everybody asks what smells so good in our powder room.
My dream powder room would have white wainscoting.  I ‘made do’ by painting this border around the room one day while my kids were napping.
I used the end of an empty toilet paper roll tube and the leftover trim paint that the builder gave us.  It cost me $0.
I added pops of pink with the faux orchid vase and orchid print.  You could say I’ve gotta thang for orchids.
So, there you go.  That’s where I’d powder my nose if I did powder my nose.  Which I don’t.  Stay tuned for next week’s tour of another teeny space located outside the powder room.  Then, I promise, onto a bigger room.

12 comments:

Jo February 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM  

Looks great! Was called a powder room because women use to powder their noses to get rid of the "shine"

Mel February 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM  

Fantastic way to make use of all of your space and the circles are perfectly organic...love this idea.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light February 15, 2011 at 8:02 AM  

oh my gosh I love the ingenuity of using the toilet paper roll and leftover paint to make the design around the bathroom! So clever!

Terry February 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM  

I'm going to try the toilet paper roll trim! Clever!! Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth February 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

Ok, so I'm gonna do the chopstick diffuser for sure, but I love the circles and I need to find a cool step stool like that stat!

http://agirlinherkitchen.blogspot.com

Unknown February 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

Love the painted circles and love even more that you used a toilet paper roll as a template! Very inventive!

B March 7, 2011 at 9:04 PM  

I love the toilet paper roll circles! I hope you don't mind if I use this technique in MY tiny little 'powder room'! hehe.

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP