We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

27 December 2010

White Cedar Chest With Dark Stained Top
 contributed by Red Hen Home




I have been trying so hard to be good...but a trip to DI last Saturday ruined my furniture diet! And it's all my daughter's fault... I wasn't actually going to go inside, except she wanted me to look for something specific for her!


And no, I didn't find what she wanted!

But I found something for ME!!

Yes, it's a cedar chest. I have a well-known weakness for cedar chests (shown here , plus there's one that hasn't been shown!)


It was in reasonably good shape, although there was some water damage on the top.


The paneling on the sides of the faux drawers could pass for beadboard, although there were weird circular indentations at the top and bottom of each panel. I filled those in with wood filler, as well as the holes from the original (ugly) hardware.


The top I sanded down to bare wood so it could be re-stained. The base just got lightly sanded, then primed.

And now its all prettified! I re-stained the top with Minwax Dark Walnut.

The base I painted with Sherwin Williams Creamy, then I used the Dark Walnut stain to give it a little character.

I replaced the handles with oil-rubbed bronze bin pulls.

I think it looks a little "Pottery Barn"-ish. It's going home to a young woman who just got married, so she has a place to store her wedding memorabilia! I couldn't think of a better use for it!

10 comments:

Anonymous,  December 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

I just love how the cedar chest looks! Now I want one too! ;)
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pamela December 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

What a special gift! It was quite a transformation--thanks for before and after.

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS December 27, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

♪♪♫♪ ♪♪♫♪ ♫ Start spreading ♫ the NEWS ♫♪♪♫♪ ♪♪♫♪ It's going to be a GREAT year in 2011!! ♪♪♫♪ ♪♪♫♪

All the best to you in the upcoming NEW year!

xo Lynda

Korrie@RedHenHome December 27, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

Thanks for the feature! I have linked up from my blog. Hope the New Year is a GREAT one for Remodelaholic and all your readers!
www.redhenhome.blogspot.com

Tyra December 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

Oh it is beautiful! Love it so much better after the redo, and yes, very Pottery Barn-esque! Lucky young lady that is getting it.

Lisa December 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM  

OMG! I love it! Great job! Makes me want to go out and get some furniture to refinish!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP