We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Updating A Child's Chair with Flair

21 December 2010

Updating A Child's Chair with Flair

I grew up in the small town of Friendswood, Texas. When my family moved there in 1954, the population sign read 911.  This was a Quaker community. Quakers are also called Friends–thus Friends-wood. We were not Quakers. My parents just found 25 acres that was for sale and that’s where we ended up. They sold off pieces of land to build a house, send us to school, and then to college. Therefore, my parents had the first subdivision in Friendswood.
My family attends the Church of Christ so we were real outcasts in Friendswood in 1954. When it was time for me to go to kindergarten, the only option was the Friends Church kindergarten. That was long before kindergarten was offered in the public school. So at the ripe old age of 5, I was sent to the Friends Church for kindergarten.
I give this long introduction so that I can tell you about my chair. Somehow my parents got the chair that I used. My brothers say that no one wanted the chair after I sat in it. I guess it was in the time out corner most of the time.  This chair has my name written on the bottom. It has been through a lot. My 2 children used it. It was used as a stool to reach things. It eventually ended up in the attic in Bridge City. When we moved back to Friendswood in 2008, the chair came with us. When I got ready to do something with it, there was a piece broken off. Here is what it looked like after I repaired it:
Now we have a grandson and he needed a chair. I sanded and primed it and painted. With the help of my daughter-in-law, Emily, on paint color, this is the finished product.
Now he has 2 chairs to go with the table I found in the trash earlier.

5 comments:

Terri-Lynn December 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

What a lovely story and a beautiful way to restore a part of your history.

Sue@Uniquely Chic December 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

What a wonderful story with great history, love it! The chair came out great too!

Unknown December 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

That's a very nice story. Somethings are so old and have a long and personal history.

Thanks for sharing and warm hugs!

Tine

Tricia @ Vintage No. 35 December 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

I love how the chair turned out. You see many junk chairs at garage sales and they turn out to be so cute painted up.

Jen December 22, 2010 at 3:39 AM  

What a great piece of your family history! Please write your story down for your family so that it is never lost. Even better, why not write it and frame it in a little frame that you screw to the underside of the chair.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP