We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Master Bathroom Makeover With Black Cabinets

07 December 2010

Master Bathroom Makeover 
With Black Cabinets
contributed by Racks and Mooby


We bought our house a couple of years ago and were thrilled that it was already in really nice shape which meant we weren't going to have to tackle a lot of new projects immediately upon move-in. We just didn't have the energy at the time.




And while the kitchen had been upgraded with lovely silestone countertops, tile floors and ~stainless steel appliances~, the rest of the house had only had the basics done - fresh, but plain jane neutral paint everywhere and neutral new carpeting upstairs. The rest of the decorative touches in the house are all "builder grade" boring. From the mid-1990's. Which means a lot of BRASS door knobs and HONEY OAK cabinets. Loverly!NOT! But, we knew we could live with it all until we could find the time, energy and money to make some changes.

And... we lived with it... and lived with it.. and lived with it. For like 20 years until I finally asked my toddler to poke my eyes out with a fork.



OK, that isn't true... it's only been 2 years, not 20. But it feels like it's been forever!

When I finally decided to make some changes, I figured the most logical place to start was the master bathroom. After all, it is where I start and end every day - shouldn't it be a pleasant experience? It already had a nice double sink vanity but... it was HONEY OAK, with a HUGE, plain, unframed mirror above. And the whole thing was topped off with*~*HOLLYWOOD LIGHTS*~*.


Don't you wish your bathroom was HOT like mine? Don't you? Don't you?

This doesn't show all of the wonderful features we were presented with when we moved in, but here is a photo from the original real estate listing (funny how they didn't want to show off the oak cabinets or the hollywood lights either!).


The first thing I did was get rid of the pink curtains. I searched everywhere for the right length but couldn't find ANYTHING that was 52" (unless I wanted to pay for custom - which I didn't!). Eventually, I found some "make-your-own length" panels at Ikea and was able to create some nice light and airy curtains in the perfect length I wanted. 

Next was to get rid of the HONEY OAK cabinets. Replacing them wasn't an option, so I painted them instead - a nice satin black - and added brushed nickel knobs to the doors. ILURVE the end result! More details to be provided on this project later.


The next thing i knew I wanted to renovate was the huge builder-grade mirror. Since the bathroom has cathedral ceilings, we can't paint the room ourselves and we just don't have the budget to hire professionals right now. So removing the mirror was not an option since we'd be left with no choice but to paint the area behind it. So.... Enter... a mirror frame! 

Now I know there are plenty of DIY-ers out there who have built their own frame and I applaud them. But, I opted for the custom-cut-kit route instead and am THRILLEDwith what an amazing difference it makes. More details on this project can be found HERE.

We finished off the look by replacing the Hollywood Lights with modern brushed nickel lovelies.

I still need to replace the faucets and we need to patch the holes in the wall left from the old light fixtures, and I want to replace the towel racks... but still... what a difference!

Here is the before (again, when we moved in) and after for you admiration:


 
BEFORE
 



 
AFTER
 

What do you think? I never enjoyed brushing my teeth so much! :)

8 comments:

Ginger December 7, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

I have the exact same problem in my bathroom! Full size mirror, hollywook lights, and honey oak cabinets. This is the solution to my problem. Thanks!

banclothing December 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

I did the same thing by putting a frame over the mirror. It made such a difference I wish I had done it months ago. I like black so the cabinets definitley appeal to me.

Andi December 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

I have the same 90s builder's grade stuff in our home...love the transformation! We are slowly getting our stuff changed, little by little. I loled at the fork in the eye joke!

molly susan strong December 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Ialso painted mine black but distressed. I took te mirror down and put up two black oval mirrors. Love the transformation!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP