We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Beach Inspired End Table Redo; and Beach Pictures

22 December 2010

Beach Inspired End Table Redo; and Beach Pictures

Alright, it's been awhile since my last post. I was away last week on vacation in Lake Michigan where I got some major inspiration! Rocks on the seashore, shabby furniture on the beach, and driftwood laying all over! It was paradise. Here are a few inspiration shots I snapped:




Yes, that is a huge log of driftwood you see! I wanted so badly to take it with me, but it would have been impossible to get home. I did pick up some other peices of driftwood though. Here are some incredibly-less-artistic shots of those:


Aren't they amazing?! Haven't decided exactly what to do with them yet, but I'm really excited to use them.

Alright, now on the the main event.

This side table has been sitting in the guest room for awhile now:

I haven't done anything with it, because there wasn't really any room for it in the house, but after coming home from vacation and not having done anything creative for 4 whole days, I just couldn't wait to get my hands on a piece of furniture, so the one above got redone, even though I don't really have room for it. (I will make room :D )

Here is the after:


I'm really pleased with how it came out. I had some troubles along the way, but it all panned out in the end!

Here is a shot of it in-process:


Originally I sanded the top, stained it walnut, and then washed over it with gray paint. It ended up having an almost pinkish finish, which I didn't like, so I stained over the wash with the walnut which made it look LOADS better, but I still wasn't happy with it. I decided that because of the shape of the piece (the bottom has a piece that's the same width as the top) a wood top threw off the balance, so I just sanded it back down and painted over it. After that I decided to wash some white paint over the whole thing, which gave the piece more interest. Then I just distressed away with my electric sander and a 320 grade sandpaper.



Don't you love this knob? I took it off a beat up, old dresser we had sitting in our basement. I think it has a very anthropologie feel to it.





The color is a bit hard to decipher from these pictures. For some reason my camera kept capturing it all different ways. It's actually a light robin's egg blue which I mixed myself using a variety of old paints.



The above is probably the most accurate to the actual color.

Also, I thought I'd show off the picture frame I recently re-did which is sitting on the end table in the above pictures. Here are some close ups:


I'm really thrilled with how this frame came out. I forgot to take a before picture (doh!) but it did have a nasty gold finish, pink matting and a grandma-ish flower picture. I sanded it down, and then washed it with white paint. I think all the little details are awesome, and the washing really made them stand out.

Alright, I'm finally at the end now, even though I have several other projects I could share with you. :P To quote Father Christmas from The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe "Things do pile up, when you've been gone a hundred years" (or one week, in my case) Thank you all so much for reading!

4 comments:

banclothing December 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

I am so impressed; this is one of my all time favorite distressed pieces. The piece was ugly before and the after is phenomenal. I agree it totally looks like anthro.

Maya @ Completely Coastal December 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Gorgeous pictures!!! There's so much inspiration to be found by the sea! And the distressed piece very much reflects the beach! Also..., I've collected tons of great inspiration what to do with driftwood..., from just displaying it in a bucket to using it to make all kinds of things. Thought I'd give you the link to my subcategory driftwood...., click HERE.

Happy Holidays!!

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS December 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

BEAUTIFUL!! and so strange (but SO refreshing) to NOT see a Holiday post!! lol

Merry Christmas and BEST wishes for you in the upcoming NEW year!!

xo Lynda

Jaime Leigh December 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

I love the table...and the old books on top of the table....Can't wait to see what you do the wood =)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP