We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Refinished Nightstand With Tin Foil

04 November 2010

Refinished Nightstand With Tin Foil
contributed by Vintage Revivals


 Yes ladies, you read that correctly.  When I told my MIL and BFF in one what I was up to she said "Your brain must never shut off!"  I think that's a compliment,  right? Right?1!?

So you know how metallic accent pieces are all the rage?  I really like them, like really really like them.  My only problem is that I don't like when they look like metallic paint.  Its too faux for me.  So on the restricted budget that I have this week I got an idea using stuff I had in my casa. 


 Crappy hand me down nightstand, modpodge and tin foil.


I started on the side and lightly wrinkled a piece of foil.   I applied a coat of mod podge to the nightstand and put the shiny side of the foil down. I smoothed it down CAREFULLY with a popcicle stick and applied a coat of mod podge to the top of it,  and moved on to the next section.


(Just make sure that the ends of the foil are flat.)  I didn't have too many seams except on the top.  There was no way that I could have covered it with one piece.  I ended up layering it so it looked kind of like silver leafing.  I loved it so much I ended up just putting random pieces all over so that it had variation to it.


This is what she looked like when all the foil was on. Basically a nightstand wrapped in tin foil.  At this point I was kind of wary because I have never seen this done before and I had zero idea what it was going to turn out like.







Just to make sure that the nightstand was scratch resistant I put another layer of modpodge on the whole piece.

Then I busted out the secret weapons.



The steel paint was awesome.  I painted it on and rubbed it off really quickly.  It changed the color of the piece but because I rubbed it off it gave it alot of variation.  Next came my best friend.  Ralph Lauren Faux Glaze in Black Silk.  I put this just on and rubbed it off.  I concentrated on the edges and places that had detail, like the drawer.  And here she is all finished....






Is it bad to want to marry a piece of furniture?

Total cost of this treasure:

Pretty much free because I had everything on hand.

21 comments:

American Mamacita November 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

This wins "most unique idea I've read all week!" Great post!

Kim @ www.oneprojectcloser.com

Belinda November 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

That is unbelievable!!! What a transformation. It turned out really beautiful.

Carolyn November 4, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

Wow! that is a beautiful and very unique transformation!

Thank you for sharing,

Carolyn

Jaime Leigh November 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

Super...I have to say i was doubting, but I shouldn't!!!! It looks great. Lesson learned don't doubt the uses for tin foil! ;)

Anonymous,  November 4, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Super interesting idea and great use of household items. I have to admit I was skeptical as I scrolled through the pictures but when I got to the finished product I was truly amazed! Really great job!

Kathy November 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

OMG...how creative you are. Love it, love it.

And the best thing is, most of us have these "staples" on hand at any given time, allowing us to jump in and do a piece ourselves.

Wenderina November 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

I was so frightened with the mid-point pictures...but MAN O MANISCHEWITZ...this is awesome.

Rosies November 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM  

Can I marry it too??? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Seriously! So I need some feedback I would love to do this to my kitchen chairs, how good is the glaze for scratches and then cleaning if and when my kids spill??

Also I am doing a linky party tomorrow if you want to link it up

Maria Babin November 5, 2010 at 4:13 AM  

amazing!!!!!!!! it really looks so great and with tin foil! whod've thought? ;) creative thinking at its best!

Ann @ makethebestofthings November 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

This is FLAT OUT one of the most flabbergasting makeovers I have ever seen on blogland! I am totally blown away at how beautiful this is. I will try this on something small first but you have got my imagination sparking big time now. Thank you!!

Patsy November 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

What weight of Aluminum Foil did you use? I would think the thin stuff would be easier to manipulate. It looks fabulous.

Unknown November 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

I was a bit skeptical about this project, but it is absolutely great! I wonder if this would work for a kitchen back splash. Any thoughts?
Rose

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals November 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Hey Everyone! Thanks for your awesome feedback!

To answer some questions:
#14 Rosies: I dont know how well it would hold up on a chair. Maybe if you used outdoors modpodge (then it would be waterproof) and put some heavy duty topcoat on it....

#18 Patsy: I used regular weight foil because thats what I had on hand. I think that it worked really well, it was easy to manipulate too.

#19 Rosemary: I LOVE this idea! I think it would be awesome! I would once again go with outdoors modpodge for the waterproof factor...if you do it I want to see!!

love your guts!
mandi

Stephanie November 9, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

This is the best project I've seen yet. Seriously! I wanted a metallic piece somewhere, but I figured I'd have to spray paint with silver. But this is what I'll do! I love it!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP