We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

No-Sew Painted Pattern Drapes

01 November 2010

No-Sew Painted Pattern Drapes
contributed by Amanda @ 


So today I wanted to show you a "non-sewer" solution to drapes.  I'm really not a sewer.  I REALLY want to be -- but I'm too nervous to get my machine out and use it.  I recently had to bring my little sewing machine in for repairs because apparently I have a "death grip" on my fabric when I feed it through.  Oops.  

Anyhow, since I've had it repaired I just can't bring myself to get it out again.  I had every intention of sewing the drapes for our guest room, but in the end, my fear won.  I have no problem using a saw, air nailer or power tools -- but my sewing machine is just one of those things I haven't learned yet.  Someday, my bloggy friends.....someday.  :)

So enough about my "non-sewer" ranting, right!?!  :)  The point was I found what I think is a REALLY cute way to get around sewing drapes.

I started out by measuring my window so I knew how much fabric I needed.   My windows aren't ginormous like some of the new-house windows out there, so I didn't need too much fabric.

Next I went out and picked up my materials:

Two Flat Twin Bed Sheets: $7.19 each
Fabric Paint: $2.49
Stencil: $2.99
Stencil Brushes: $.99

TOTAL: $13.66

You'll also need drapery hardware too. I used a leftover rod from our our old house.....one instance where my pack-rat instincts came in handy. :)





I washed and ironed my sheets and laid them out on our kitchen island.  I taped the edges of the sheet to the island so that they didn't move and slide around while I was stenciling.  I decided to stencil a line of this pattern across each panel.  

I used the "top" of each sheet as the bottom of my drape since it's usually a little bit more decorative.  I started about a foot and half up with the stencil -- but I think I would've liked it better if the pattern was a little closer to the ground.



I taped down the stencil and stippled the white paint onto the sheet.  When you pull the stencil up, it should look like this:


 From there I just continued to do a pattern across the fabric until I reached the end.  I let it dry, and then I went back and did a stencil in between all of the first ones.  I tilted the stencil to be diagonal -- so it will look like this:


 Once you're done with all the "in between" stencils, you'll have a pattern like this:


Now it's time for the top of the drape.  I folded the top six inches over the back of the drape and ironed it so there is a crease.  I then took hem tape along the edge to hold the "seam" in place.  Then you can slide the drapery hardware into the little pocket you created.




Sorry for the not so great pictures -- the foot of our guest bed is not too far from the window and it makes it kinda difficult to get a good shot. :)

BUT, I have to say for a new sew drape -- I'm pretty happy with the result.


7 comments:

Allison November 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

I'm confused about the price of the project. If the sheets were $7.19 each and she used two, then the project total was $20.85??, not 13.66.

Regardless, they are very cute!

Champe@MyDesignGuide.com November 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

Delightful. I could envision a bold row across the bottom or top either in another version.. We'll have to share this at MyDesignGuide.com

Lissa November 2, 2010 at 1:18 AM  

I gotta say I LOVE taking sale sheets and turning them into curtains! I recently bought the same sale sheets at Target in the turquoise and did curtains for my little guy's room and a crib bedskirt. The stencil idea is not one I would have thought of though. I'll have to try that!

Tish November 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Love these! This is an inexpensive craft project that looks like a million bucks! Thanks for sharing...

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP