We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Pillows To Brighten Up The Decor

02 November 2010

DIY Pillows To Brighten Up The Decor
contributed by Sarah @ Sohl Design


When I decided to sew a slipcover for my love seat, I also wanted some fun new pillows to brighten up the decor. Side note: my original goal was to sew slip covers for both the couch and love seat, but I have since decided to hold off on the couch. While I really like the look of my newly neutral tan love seat, the fabric is not as durable as I had hoped. And it was A LOT of work. So for now, I can live with one tan couch and one floral couch.

Back to the pillows... which are WAY easier to sew than slipcovers. By a landslide. I was inspired by some of these beautiful fold over pillows with buttons, from Pottery Barn. See the long rectangular red one? They are about $25 each for just the pillow cover (not including the actual pillow inside). I decided that I could probably make a couple of my own.


I set to work with some fabric off the discount table at Jo-Ann's. 


I cut a long rectangle, approximately 52 inches long by 12 inches. You can make it shorter or wider.


I folded it (inside out), to where I wanted the fold and overlap to be. I pinned the main flap to itself, to keep it in place. You do not need to seam the under side flap. Just make sure you leave enough fabric to tuck all the way under. Sew down the entire length of both long sides. Turn your pillow right-side out.


Here is what the inside of the flap looks like. I selected some big buttons, a little larger than a quarter, and sewed them to the outside flap. The buttons actually hold the top fold together.


Now it's time to stuff your pillow. Cotton stuffing can be a little pricey, especially if you are making a bunch of pillows. Look around your house, decide if there are any old pillows you are willing to take apart. Re-purpose bedroom pillows or out-dated throws.


Here it is before and after stuffing. Voila! Pottery Barn style pillows that were so easy to make!


I made another PB style pillow. Here is the store's version for $39. 


I made this one myself, using a PB dinner napkin in the same pattern for $6! I put solid fabric on the back. Talk about cost savings! 


I like finding ways to make new things AND save money. 


Here are some fake leather (A.K.A. "Pleather") pillows from Overstock.com.


I made this dark brown pleather pillow of my own, with material from the sale table at Jo-Ann's (that clearance table is a gold mine!). It's actually backed with felt, so it's not as difficult to sew as you might think. 


I made a couple simple yellow pillows to spruce up my dining room chairs.


There you have it. A few pillow creations based on inspiration from Pottery Barn. You already know that I love making pillows. They are a simple way to change up any room, and making them yourself can really save you some moo-lah.

3 comments:

Unknown November 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

What great money saving pillow tips. I am on my way to check out PB napkins. Thanks.
Traci

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP