We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Before And After Cottage Dinning Room

09 November 2010

Before And After Cottage Dinning Room
contributed by RAZMATAZ

The cottage once belonged to an elderly couple who built it in the1940's and left the interior unfinished.  No plaster, no panelling, nothing.  Just open walls with plumbing and electrical showing.  About 10 years ago, it was purchased by a fella with some good construction know how, but very little design savy.  Which worked out well for us. The dining room was originally the cottage living room, before he added an addition.  This is what the dining room looked like in the real estate listing.
View from the kitchen island.......

And this is how it looks today...
I added a huge table that can seat 12 people.  You can see through the window the masts on the sailboats in the harbour.  I painted the wainscotting Farrow and Ball Strong White and the walls Farrow And Ball Light Blue.  I wanted to bring the blue from the marina inside, especially this room which was way to woodsy-cottage before.
Here it is from the other side.  That "thing" in the middle is a propane furnace....certainly a design challenge.  The picnic table has been relegated to the deck outside....
Same view today.....  I have tried to use only recycled and vintage furniture for the cottage, but I did buy the table from Ikea, as I couldn't find a vintage table large enough for this room.  The chairs are slipcovered and came from my house originally.  The chandelier was a gift from my brother and I embellished it with crusty old sea shells, beads and found Bits.
Beads, sead pods, seashells as embellishment.
We purchased this old Eatons sideboard when we were first married.  I lugged it up here and painted it white. 
I found this gorgeous old paned window with it's snazzy red paint a few weeks ago.....
I like the way it reflects light and objects from the other side.
Blake thinks this is the ugliest thing he has seen.  I love it and collect vintage seashell boxes......
It also houses my collection of old bottles.  I used to buy old bottles when I was shopping with my Grandad in England.

5 comments:

Stephanie November 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

Love your decor-- it's similar to my taste. In fact, I just bought a capiz chandy from pottery barn. I like the way you added pretties to it, I might have to copy you as the chandy I have is a little bare.

I love your blog!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity November 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

I love your dining room - the red window was just what you needed to give the room an amazing focal point. It's going to look fantastic at Christmas.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP