We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Repainting an Old White Dresser; Awesome Craig's List Find

06 October 2010

Erin at 3 Meadow Lake Cottage has made a wonderful change to an old white dresser.


FINALLY finished the rehab project on my Craigslist dresser.
It was hard work.
But it only took me 3 months :)

Here's a reminder of how it looked when I bought it...


It was in such sad shape: peeling paint, missing knobs, red stains from an unknown substance, and drawers that didn't work. 

But it had great bones. 

So I scraped
and scraped
and scraped.

Then I sanded
and sanded
and sanded.

  
Then I painted two coats of primer and three coats of semi-gloss white paint on it.


I managed to fix almost all of the drawers glides by using a screw driver to some WD-40.
I only had to replace one of the glides because it was beyond repair. 
Thank goodness because they run about $5.00/each for new glides!

After scrubbing the heck out of the insides of the drawers to get them clean, 
I added some contact paper {from Target} to the bottoms to make them look super crisp and clean.


I picked out and ordered some classic oil rubbed bronze knobs and handles off of Ebay 
{Ebay has GREAT deals on cabinet hardware if you are ever in the market for some!}.

I chose hardware that looks really simple and classic since there are a lot of details on the dresser itself.

And after ALL of that hard work, here is how the dresser turned out...


Here is a before and after for comparison...



Oh and here's my old piece-o-junk that it replaced...

 

Much better, don't ya think??
{Hopefully I can get someone to buy that old thing!}


I am so in love with how it turned out.
Thank goodness I didn't toss in the towel half way through the project.
In the future, however, if I see a piece of furniture that needs massive rehab like this one did, 
I probably will run the other direction!


Here's the cost breakdown:
Dresser: $20
Stripping Supplies: $36
Paint Supplies: $37
Knobs/Pulls: $20 {included shipping}
Contact Paper: $5
Drawer Glide: $5
TOTAL: $123

My new dresser kinda reminds me of the one of been drooling over at Pottery Barn... 



 Except that one is priced at $1,199.

I think I like mine better anyways.

Wow I can't believe the savings!  Wait, I can!  
Great job on the white dresser rehab!

14 comments:

Jane, Naples, Florida October 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

It looks very much like the Pottery Barn dresser!
So much infact, I thought there was one last
picture of your refinished one! Beautiful job!

Jane
Flora Doora

oops! October 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Really Really Nice!! I love the style, color, knobs - pretty much everything!

Anonymous,  October 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

I've got to be totally honest. I like the dresser you refinished better than the Pottery Barn one....

Great job!

Unknown October 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

I think your dresser looks better than the PB one. Much more character. Thanks for sharing.
Traci

* Nancy * October 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

Your dresser looks A-MA-ZING! Way to go! Thanks for the inspiration and where to buy good deals on hardware. :)

Sherri October 7, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

What a great job you did on the dresser!! What an awesome makeover-fantastic job!! Enjoy!

Unknown October 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

This is certainly beautiful, but part of me would like to see a light glaze over the white paint to bring out all those pretty dimensional details on the top drawers. Still, it's an improvement over what it used to be!

Anonymous,  December 20, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

Wow you've done a terrific job! It really was in a sorry state of affairs to begin with. It looks gorgeous now, and soooo expensive.
Megs :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP