We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Great Inexpensive Art from a Book DIY Project

04 October 2010

When I saw this great home decor idea, I had ask if I could share it with you.  It is not necessarily a new idea, but it is such a perfect way to tie art together.  And if you can get a great deal on a special book that is even better!    This idea is from Megan and Honey We're Home:

The wall above James’ crib looked pretty barren without anything on it.  It’s a large wall and the first thing you see as you enter the room, so it needed some visual interest. 
Nursery 012
I debated putting letters spelling his name in the space, then changed my mind and decided to make my own framed art using an illustrated book.  (I did buy the letters to spell James, but think I’ll use them in his bathroom instead.)  I had 2 frames already that I could reuse and just bought two more, figuring 4 would fit the wall nicely.  The frames are from Target and a little pricey at $17.00 each (11x14 inch frames and 8x10 mat). 
Nursery 005
I went to the bookstore not knowing what book would have the images I wanted.  I just went to the large picture books and started browsing when I came across the most adorable book ever!  It’s called “I Love You More” by Laura Duksta. 
Nursery 001
You may have already heard of it -apparently it’s a NY Times bestseller- but it was new to me.   The premise of the book is that a boy asks his mom how much she loves him, and she proceeds to tell him how she loves him more than everything. 
 Nursery 002Nursery 003Nursery 004 
Then, the boys says, “I love you more.”  The book continues (you turn the book around) with the mom asking the boy how much he loves her, and the story repeats from his point of view.  Then mom says, “I love you more.”  The sentiment is so right on and the illustrations are beautiful- perfect for James’ nursery.  I was just giddy that I found this:)  I bought one copy, but since I cut the pictures out, I’m going to have to get another one so I can read it to James.  Perhaps Amazon will have it cheaper.
It was difficult to chose just 4 pictures, but I went with some of the ones with animals since James has a bit of a jungle nursery.  I used a blade to cut the pictures.
 Nursery 006 Nursery 007
Then I centered the picture into the frame and secured it with a small piece of tape. 
Nursery 008  Nursery 023
So easy and the results are fantastic.
Nursery 021
Before
Nursery 012  
After
Nursery 016
Click here to see the nursery in its entirety.
Have you done this in your home?  I think calendars would have good, large images to use as art.

Isn't that just adorable?
The art is bright and matches perfectly!

15 comments:

Julie October 4, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Great idea!! This is such a cute nursery. Thanks for sharing this post.

Teresa October 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

I love using old book for art....love how yours turned out...perfect.
I just used an old botanical book for some art.Happy Day
Thanks for sharing.

Paige @ Little Nostalgia October 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

What a fantastic idea! We don't have kids yet, but I'll definitely keep this is mind.

Gina M. October 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

Next time you need frames with mats go to Michaels instead. I usually get frames that have mats included for an 8x10 print for no more than $25, but they are usually on sale for around $20. Bring in a coupon (you can find them in your local paper or online) and you will save even more.

It depends though, how thick you want the frame, of course. I use them primarily for my own photography, to take to shows or to sell.

They do have better prices overall, though, on frames, and mats are cheaper (I think) if you need to buy them separately.

Lady S October 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

This is such a lovely idea! (insert light bulb moment)It has inspired me to make a few of my own little creations. I have some old, yet in very poor condition children’s books and this idea could save some of the beautiful illustrations that are in these books, and put them to better use. Thanks so much for sharing!
Lady S

Megan // Honey We're Home October 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

Thanks Cassidy for featuring our little art project!! And I'm thrilled to see that your readers like it too. The sentiment of the book really makes the project special to me.

momentum October 5, 2010 at 1:17 AM  

I love this idea! Funny thing, too, is my baby's wall above his crib is bare, too!

May I ask where you bought that awesome rug with your baby's initial in the center!!

Laura Duksta October 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

I love this idea!!! Having our books words and images hovering over your little one is an honor ;-) I was searching web images of I Love You More and happened upon your blog. It's always a gift to see people enjoying our book and it's message. Thank YOU!!
Love, Love and More Love!
Laura Duksta
author, I Love You More
next book out in April 2011 You Are a Gift to the World (flip) The World is a Gift to You

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP