We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Lamp Kits on Vases

18 October 2010

DIY Lamp Kits on Vases
contributed by Unexpected Grace


***Disclaimer: Sorry for the blurry pictures taken with my droid.*** 
Ok so I am finally posting my lamp-scapade. If you remember from this post, I was on the hunt for a beautiful, inexpensive glass lamp for our master bedroom. Unfortunately after scouring every Teej, HomeGoods and Target in the southeast I was left with no such luck. On an adventure with my mom to my favorite, At Home in Homewood, I found these.


I'm pretty sure my mom thought I was nuts when I broke out my phone and started to giggle hysterically. A lamp kit plus an upside down vase equals my new masterpiece. At $250 a pop, I'm not sure if I was more excited about saving around $200 on my version or the fact that I finally have new perfect lamps. 


I snagged the glass vases from Ikea for $19.99, lamp kits from Walmart for $4, and burlap lamp shades from At Home for $25. I could have saved more on the lamp shades but I just fell in love with these. Next was some gorilla glue and patience. I mounted each kit to the top of the upside down vase. Both lamps still need finials. And it didn't stop there. 


Next was a new lamp for the office. I recently found a end table for $35 at TJ Maxx that was a little shorter than the one on the other side of the couch. I really wanted a lamp that was tall enough to somewhat match the height of the other lamp. While and Ikea I found an amazing bright yellow glass vase but it was too short to make a lamp. Solution: buy two and gorilla glue together. Using the same process as my bedroom lamps I ended up with this.
2 glass vases from Ikea $8, lamp kit $4, and lampshade from Target on sale for $10. I love this lamp! Not bad for $30 bucks. 


One more. This week I found another awesome vase at TJ and of course was dying to make it into another lamp for the kitchen.

$7 for vase, $4 for lamp kit, and $12 for lampshade. I'm thinking about adding some fun fabric to the lampshade its too blah for its funky shaped base. 


So there ya go, 4 new fun and modern lamps simply using vases.

13 comments:

Anita October 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

I saw some tall post ones at a friend's house this weekend and having been trying to figure out how to drill through 30 inches of wood. Hey- maybe I don't need to! Good idea and thanks for sharing!

kathie October 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

Those are fabulous!! What a great idea, and I really really love the yellow one- You'd never know those are two pieces made into one!

Kendra October 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM  

LOVE this!! I love that they didn't put the cord through the vase, this is what has kept me from using lamp kits in the past

Sawdust Girl October 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

Cool! I was not aware of lamp kits. A whole new world of possibilities have just opened up to me. Hehehe

Seedplanter Designs October 19, 2010 at 2:34 AM  

You're a genius! Why didn't I think of an upside-down vase? Going to keep my eyes open from now on!

Kristina Clemens October 19, 2010 at 6:55 AM  

No way!!! I really, really love this, plus, I've got the perfect old lamps to try it on!
Kristina J.

Janae @ Somewhat Couture October 19, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

I love your idea. I just finished making over an old glass lamp and I want some more! The lamps aren't that hard to do! You can check out my lamp post here: http://tiny.cc/tivgt

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} October 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

GENIUS idea!!!! I've been looking for glass lamps too...now I know how to get them!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street October 19, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

I love this! Great work!
PS. I am one of your new followers and would love if you followed me, too!

molly susan strong October 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

OK really just Gorilla Glue?? Whih type of Gorilla glue? Patience due to drying time? I sooo want to run out and get my supplies!! So many questions because can it be that simple?? Tell tell...

Paige Bryant May 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM  

What till you see my old copper and brass fire hydrant lamp with a burlap drum! Im not finished yet, but I hope it turns out as awesome as these! great job!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP