We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Nice and Clean Laundry Room Update

15 September 2010

Andrea at Willow Wisp Cottage recently updated her laundry room.  See how nice it is.


We recently redid our laundry room and I have one question: Why did we wait so long?

I love the result. It is clean, functional, and looks so much better! Unfortunately I don't have any before shots, but imagine a room with old laminate flooring, walls the colour of bandaids, old cabinets with the door barely hanging on as the hinges had long since broken, a nasty dirty old sink and old washer/dryer that sounded possessed when it was used. Yuck. So here's what we did:

You can see a snippette of the floor in this shot. We replaced the old nasty laminate with slate tiles. This room is a laundry/mud room and our entrance off the garage. It gets good and dirty on a regular basis, and this floor is fantastic for hiding the grunge until I can wash it.

One great thing about this room was that the previous owners of the house had installed the beadboard. We painted over the old bandaid colour. The bottom is Marble White, and the top is Nordic Grey, both from Benjamin Moore. I bought the large laundry basket at Canadian Tire, but added the decorative fabric trim myself.

We had the cabinets completely replaced as they were falling apart. Our cabinet maker convinced us to go with natural Maple, although I had originally wanted cream to match our kitchen. I don't mind the look (it's growing on me), but he's probably right in that it will be more durable (won't chip) and is easier to keep clean. He did build the upper cabinets very low which is great for internal storage, but makes use of the new countertop a little tricky. I had originally envisioned cute canisters here, but I really only have room for these few low baskets.

We removed the possessed ancient washer/dryer and replaced them with these lovely front loaders. This allowed us to put a countertop over top. While some choose not to do this, as the countertop height is higher than standard, I LOVE it! It gives me room to fold laundry and somewhere to put my junk when I come in from the garage.



I bought these baskets at Canadian Tire, and added the fabric cuff to them to pretty them up. I found the monogram tags at Michael's. It's a great way to keep organized. One basket per family member. No more mixed up mittens, hats, scarves etc.

I painted and distressed this piece of oak trim, and added hooks to use for our multitude of keys.

The closet didn't have any doors on it when we moved in, and I decided to keep it that way. While it does reveal the not so pretty coats and shoes, this is a mudroom afterall, and functionality has won out. It is a small room, and closing off the closet, plus the awkwardness of the doors just didn't appeal. I added this cute phrase above the closet door.



The deep utility sink was a great deal from Home Depot, and the faucet is lovely. I bought it at a 75% off sale. I love the fact that there is a pretty faucet in the laundry room, rather than the cracked, horrible faucet that was here previously. You know, the kind that has 20 years of gunge on it, and has a plastic spray nozzel that barely works?

I asked our cabinet maker to instal the same large crown in this room as he did in the kitchen. I just didn't add the rope detail to it. My new memo board now hangs proudly in this room.


We have also been painting all the doors and baseboards throughout the house, and changing all the brass door knobs to pewter knobs. We've been doing this slowly as we make our way from room to room. The cost certainly adds up, but it makes such a huge difference to the look of the house!

Nice and clean, I like it!  Thoughts?

12 comments:

Mingz September 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

I think it looks great. you have a huge laundry room. I am soo jealous. LOL...Thanks for sharing

Amy Kinser September 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

Your laundry room looks great. I just made some changes recently in mine and it is so much nicer. It actually makes laundry a little better when the room looks prettier.

Miranda @ Pressing On September 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

I love it. I think the maple cabinets with the crown look awesome with those perfectly grey walls. It all came together really well.

I would propose since she can't fit her dream canisters under the tall cabinet, to use some pretty vintage enamelware style lidded tins similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-WHITE-SQUARE-ENAMELWARE-STORAGE-PAN-LID-BLACK-TRIM-/310241710189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483bd8d06d

Anonymous,  September 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

I would love to have a nice peaceful laundry room. Mine is a laundry room and a pantry. I wonder what I could do to make it feel less jumbled? Thanks for posting... you may have inspired me.

Jami September 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM  

I love the colors you chose in there. It might even make me want to do laundry!

Andrea September 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

Thank you so much for posting about my laundry room and for all the nice comments! It definitely helps make the chore of laundry bearable =P

Robyn September 16, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

This room is awesome! It would ALMOST make me want to do laundry!...believe me that's saying something. Thank you so much for sharing! If you have a moment, stop on by, I'm having a fun give away!

Panamamama September 16, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

I might actually want to do laundry if my room looked like that! So pretty!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP