We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Surfboard Decor, Perfect for a Beach House!

14 August 2010


This project by Cheri at I am Momma Hear me Roar is such an incredible project!  Look what she did, I am sure you will love it as much as I did:

Last week my entry for So You Think You're Crafty won the "Water/Sea" round.  Today I'm going to show you how I made it.  You can click HERE to go vote for this week's round.  The theme is "Edible" and there are some cool entries.
To make this towel rack you will need a large sheet of MDF.  I purchased a sheet that was 4'x8' and a half inch thick.  (You'll have extra MDF for another project.)  I think the easiest way to get the surf board shape is to cut one long strip first so it's still 6' long, but about 2' wide.  (Usually they will cut make a few basic cuts for you at no cost at the Depot.)  Then sketch out a surfboard shape and cut it out.  Sand the edges.  (Find a cute nephew to model the cut board.)


Paint the surfboard.  You can use regular acrylic paint like you'd find at the craft store.  Paint the whole board white (or whatever color you're currently loving).



Next paint the stripes. Painter's tape is a must for this one.


Now it's time to paint on the name, which could be a surf board brand OR I used the last name of the family who the surfboard was for.  I usually free-hand it, but if you're not comfortable doing that, find a font you like and print the text off your computer.  Turn the paper over and scribble all over the reverse side of the paper where the text is.  Line up the paper where you want the letters to appear on the surfboard.  Take a pencil and outline the letters.  This will create a faint outline of your text on the surfboard.  Now paint in the letters.


To give the board an aged look, rough up the edges with sand paper.  If you want it really antiqued you can get out the electric sander.  Once it's roughed up as much as you want, add the polyurethane + stain shown in the picture above of the paint.  I like to dip a rag into it and rub it on to my liking.

Lastly, screw on your hooks (following the instructions on the package) and hang your board.  My sister painted the pictures above and used the same stain to antique them as well.


That's it!  Now you're ready to find a big wave in the bathtub.  Surf's up dude!

6 comments:

Unknown August 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Hi Cassidy. I hope your having a fun weekend. Cheri did a fantastic job on this. It's just too cute. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now I'm off to visit Cheri.

Hugs...Tracy :)

P.S. I posted a my giveaway Fri. I hope you can stop by and enter.

Cannwin August 14, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

I just love how you're garage looks like my garage! Look at all that stuff!!! ((hugs))

Cynthia August 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

Very cool! I have been wanting to 'knock off' the Pottery Barn Teen Skatedeck wall decor for my son's room. I'll be I could make something similar using the technique you shared. Thanks!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP