We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

From Brass To White Table Lamp Revamp: Guest Project

21 August 2010

Want the look a Z-Gallery white table lamp for a great price.  See how Sarah at Room 2 Think created a similar look with a little paint and effort.

Lamp After Closeup
Being on a tight budget, I love to thrift shop. I can be frequently seen pushing Hailey in her stroller down the street to The Salvation Army Thrift Store. I do sometimes have to get creative in how I fit my larger purchases into the stroller basket to push it back home again. This was the case with this long, heavy brass lamp. The lamp was on the shelf with a gigantic cylindrical lampshade that didn’t fit the lamp well and would never have made it into the stroller basket. Instead of wearing it on my head as I walked home, I opted to gift it back to the Salvation Army.
Here is the hard-to-look-at before:
Lamp Before

Quite ugly, but I liked the shape. Here are the steps I took to paint the lamp:
1) Taped off the bulb socket and the cord.
2) Sprayed the lamp with two layers of a white oil-based spray primer I had on hand.
3) Lightly sanded the drips with a fine-grit sandpaper. Wiped down with a damp cloth.
4) Painted the lamp with a layer of Valspar flat Bistro White using a brush like this trimming and edging brush to get into all the nooks and crannies. Since the primer was also white, I only needed the one layer.
5) Lightly sanded the drips with a fine-grit sandpaper. Wiped down with a damp cloth.
5) Painted two layers of Minwax Water-Based Polyurethane I had on hand. This protects the paint and adds gloss to the lamp.
After scouring thrift stores and Marshalls, Ross, and Burlington Coat Factory for a discount shade, I finally gave in and bought a drum lampshade at Target for $24.99. The lamp cost $7.99. All other supplies I already had on hand. Total cost: $32.98. Considering the fact that the lamp I had in mind from Z-Gallerie as I repainted mine is $139.00, I think I did pretty well.

Z Gallerie Lamp


My lamp:
Lamp After

For more thrift store finds and tutorials, see Mirror Mirror and The Gift of Thrift.

Very nice indeed!  I love the white table lamp.  What do you think of the new look?

9 comments:

Unknown August 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

This is a great redo! I think that when you're able to get the lamp so inexpensively, a splurge on the right shade makes all the difference.

http://froufrugal.blogspot.com

Tales From My Empty Nest August 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

The lamp turned out great. I am always amazed at what a can of spray paint can do. Looks really nice. Love & blessings from NC!

Leo August 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

You did such a nice job. Thank you for the instructions...I am going to try and copy this...!!

LiveLikeYou August 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Great lamp makeover!! People are just getting better and better at DIY's!!! It's better than the Z gallerie lamp.

Jane, Naples, Florida August 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

I am so impressed! It is a beautiful lamp!
I have seen this type of lamp before, and
never thought to do something like this.
Another look at the lamps at my local thrift is now on my agenda! Thanks for the post!

Jane
Flora Doora

Anonymous,  August 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

Thank you, Remodelaholic, for featuring Room2Think! We love all the inspiration you provide us for our DIYing.
Thanks to everyone else for your kind comments.
Sarah

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP