We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Fabric Bulletin Board: Guest Remodel

02 August 2010

Andrea @ Willow Wisp Cottage has framed her fabric bulletin board.  See how nice it turned out.


There are so many inspirational, creative projects out there in blogland. I used to rely on HGTV and decor magazines for my inspiration, but since discovering blogs, I am overwhelmed by all the incredible talent out there. I have put many of these projects on my to-do list (which is ever-growing!). There are a few projects, in particular, that almost seem like an initiation right into blog-dom: one must attempt a memo board, use blackboard paint (on just about anything), and try glazing/distressing. In my most recent project, I've become initiated in 2 of 3 of these and what fun I had!!

The Project:



Today I tackled a memo board and distressed, glazed frame. I saw Centsational Girl's memo board tutorial and knew it was perfect for what I had in mind. She gives a great step by step tutorial 
here.


Here is my abbreviated version:

My husband (my hands most certainly aren't quite as hairy!) cut some thin board to size.

I gathered all the tools I would need to tackle the project. I opted for a canvas fabric and simple black ribbon. The frame is quite ornate already, and there is some pattern in the room that the board is going in, so I didn't want the fabric to be too busy.

I placed 2 layers of quilters batting underneath and cut to size.


Using a stapler, I placed numerous staples to hold the batting in place (see? nice, smooth hands =) I lay out my ribbon to get a general idea of the size of the diamonds, and cut the ribbon to size (with enough length to wrap the ribbon under the board).
As per Centsational Girl's tutorial, I held my tacks with a needle nose plier, and hammered it down with a rubber mallet. Worked like a charm.

I did measure the diamonds to ensure they were all the same size. I didn't trust 'eyeballing' it.

Voila, the board complete....now onto the frame (although the board sans frame, is cute also!)

I finally was able to find some Glaze. I asked several paint stores and got funny looks when I asked for it. I wanted to say 'You know, Glaze, like what they're always talking about in blogland?' but I figured they'd really look at me strangely! I got this at Home Depot. One problem I did have, was tinting it. The salesperson really wasn't sure, so I decided to do it on my own at home and customize it for each project. I am ok with the colour of the glaze on the frame, but I think I'll go much darker for my next project. I'm still considering putting a darker layer on this too. It reads a bit orange-ish to me.


The process was easy: Paint it on, rub it off. So there you have it. Now I'm looking around for something to throw blackboard paint on.....love 
this idea from Kari & Kijsa (ohhhhh, how I wish they'd come back-LOVE their blog!!)



Nice job on the fabric bulletin board.  

I like how the frame turned out do you?

6 comments:

Unknown August 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Love the frame!!! In fact, I want one too! This is one thing on my project list of things I want to make, I love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing!

Katie August 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

I am just a random person that recently found your blog.. And I LOVE it!! I would like to try so many of these projects..
I especially have been wanting to make one of these, for a long time! So, this is pefect! I will defenitly be making one soon!
--Kate

Eileen August 2, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

I love it. the frame looks great. Thanks for the easy tutorial. I love these kinds of things.

whimages August 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

LOVE love this message board!

I wanted to let you know that I KNOW you are a busy busy lady but I received a fun blog award and I wanted to pass it on to you. Please don't feel obligated to do it, I just wanted you to know that I HEART your blog and I think you are a sweet lady! The award is on my blog if you want to see it and it's called A BLOG OF SUBSTANCE! Thank you for always sharing so many wonderful bits of goodness!

Andrea August 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Thank you everyone for the sweet comments about my message board, and THANK YOU to Remodelaholic for featuring it =)))

Andrea

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP