We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Refinishing a Piano Bench; Guest

29 July 2010

Hi Friends, Its Shannon from Posh Pieces here again at Remodelaholic. I hope you are all enjoying your summer.  I wanted to share with you one of the first projects I shared on my blog. Also one that I still use almost everyday as it sits in my dining room.  I got this piano bench on craigslist for about $30. Not a complete steal, but worth it to me because it was just what I wanted... except the color that is..  I wanted the bench to match my black dining room table.  Here is the before.

Very simple, kinda boring, and definitely not a match to my black dining room set. 
I sanded this baby down to the grain which is not necessary if your going to prime and paint, but I was more thorough back then. 
After I spent way to much time sanding, I applied my Rustoleum Primer.
After it was primed, I applied two generous coats of Rustoleum Black paint.
The final step was to give it a distressed look like my dining room table, but without distressing it. My dinning room table is not distressed, but it has a treatment on it that looks like it was. 
I bought a small can of paint that was the same color as the distressed areas, and then used a 2 inch brush to brush it on in a few random places. 
Here it is all finished.
I am fully aware of the flash in the background, and the not so great photo here.. Sorry for that, I had to use what I had. Can you see the painted on distressed areas?

Here is a close up of the legs. You can see the areas on the table that look distressed, and the areas on the bench I created to match. The bench matches my table perfectly now. 
I think it turned out pretty good. How about your?

5 comments:

Anonymous,  July 29, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

The black makes the bench looks so chic and expensive! I love painting things black and the shiny black looks especially good on the bench. Nice job! :)

Debbie July 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

Great job on the bench. I like the idea of making it "look" destressed without actually sanding down the paint!!! Thanks for the tip!

Five to Nine August 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

Love it! I want to do the same thing to a bench I just bought. Do you know what color paint was used to "distress" it? I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me know. Thanks!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP