We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Entertainment center transformed into a Bench; Guest

07 July 2010


I absolutely love what Kelli of Random Thoughts of a Supermom did with this old entertainment center

About two months ago, we decided to buy a new couch.
Buying a new couch meant rearranging furniture.
Rearranging furniture meant this piece that was once used as an entertainment center now needed a new purpose. I decided it was the perfect piece to turn into a bench. It was the just the right height for sitting, plus there is a ton of room in the two side cabinets to store toys!The first thing I did was use Gorilla Glue to attach some thin pieces of wood to the doors.....and sides of the entertainment center. I wanted to add a little bit of interest to the otherwise plain boring sides. Jason already had these thin pieces of wood left over from a previous project, so all I had to do was cut them to the correct length and glue them on.After the Gorilla Glue was dry {technically like two weeks after}, I primed the entire piece with Zinsser Oil Based Primer...the same primer that I used to redo my end table. After the primer was dry, I added a coat of glossy white paint...the primer was so good that it only need one coat of the glossy paint to look pretty great! I reattached the original hinges {which were black}, and picked up two new decorative black knobs to replace the small silver ones.I bought a piece of foam and cut it to the correct size for the top of the bench. FYI: Foam is expensive....if you have any old cushions that you aren't using, save them!
I also picked up a tablecloth at Target to make a cover for the foam. I got a great textured material for less than $10...if I had bought something similar at the fabric store it would have cost a fortune! I wrapped the material around the foam, pinned it in place, and sewed up the edges. I left the back open, so that I can remove the cover and wash it if it ever gets dirty or stained {which
 is going to happen in my house full of boys}!Throw in a couple of rattan baskets and two decorative pillows that match the throw pillows on the couch, and now I have an awesome bench and even better toy storage piece!

WOW! Don't you think that looks great!  I love the stiles she added, it made all the difference, and of course the white is just lovely!

15 comments:

Olivia July 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

Amazing transformation! The raised wood strips add a nice bit of interest. Great job!

Veronica July 7, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

That turned out great. A bench with easy access. I love the colors of the pillows they go great with the cushions.

Unknown July 7, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

Amazing! You made this look so easy. Love the wood strips - so creative!

Ashley July 7, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

I love it! And what a great use for a piece of furniture that is almost obsolete with all the flat screens that hang on the wall nowadays! So cute!!

Elsina July 7, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

You are a genius! I love the woodstrips,the colors of the pillows, the whole thing is just awesome!

Stephanie July 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

wow! i hate to say it - but it looked umm... crappy before!! AND NOW IT LOOKS FABULOUS - seriously, it looks like something that would cost a couple hundred - i am amazed and inspired!

Garden House Floral July 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

No way! I totally got rid of that same piece of furniture. (the before version of coarse) Thinking I could do nothing with it. DANG! I am so impressed how with some creative hard work you can transform something so beautifully.

Jean July 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

you are a remodel genius! I can't believe what those little strips did for that piece!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP