We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

80 Year Old Cedar Chest Makover: Guest Remodel

17 July 2010

Joy at Thrifty Parsonage Living has saved an old cedar chest and gave it some good old TLC. 

I had the wonderful privilege of inheriting my grandmother's 80 year old cedar chest.
It came to me in very poor condition. There was a leg broken off, hinges disconnected, veneer chipped and missing and part of the trim molding was missing.
My husband thought it was beyond repair; and maybe the dump was the best place for it. I'm a very sentimental person and said "but it was grandma's!"
It sat in my husband's shop for quite some time, but then one day I was surprised and delighted to find my husband (who's very good at restoring and building furniture) busy working on the chest. I don't have a photo of it at it's worst, but here are a few of the chest in the restoration process.



The veneer was in such bad shape we decided simply to remove it altogether.

We then sanded the cedar wood followed by 3 coats of Valspar black satin paint.
Here it is all finished sitting pretty in my living room.

What do you think of my transformation?

I love that she saved this cedar chest and fixed it up.  Great job.  I love cedar chests.  Don't you?

6 comments:

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living July 17, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

Thanks so much for choosing me for your guest post! I'm so honored to be featured! Thank you for your great link parties. They're the greatest. I love seeing everyone's creative ideas!
Joy @ thriftyparsonageliving

the old boathouse July 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

Lovely that they have restored the chest and can continue to have this wonderful piece in their home....cedar chests are hard to find these days so they are doubly lucky, I love the warmth and colour of cedar, cheers katherine

Stephanie July 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

I'm so glad they turned what could've been trash into such a glorious piece of treasure!

Rabiul Islam November 7, 2010 at 5:22 AM  

Thanks for sharing this useful information with all of us.Keep sharing more in the future.
Have a nice time ahead.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP