We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Not to Sloppy - Joes

20 June 2010

The other day I needed a fast dinner, and on our fast dinner list, my husband had written Sloppy Joes.  Well, I decided this would be an easy quick meal, but I wanted some nutrition value, not just meat and bread - I also didn't want to have to make side dishes**, call me lazy.  So, I checked in the fridge and this is what I came up with, and actually, I WILL make this again this way from now on, and feel very good about serving it to my family.


Sloppy Cabbage Joes

1 bag of Cabbage Coleslaw Salad (the bag kind that is all cut up for you - for speed!-)
1/2 c Shredded carrots
1/2 Onion (shredded or very finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (crushed,- to save time I used the jarred kind)
1 lb Beef (97/3 is what I used or you can do ground turkey)
a little salt
Ketchup (to taste)
Mustard (to taste)
2 Tbsps brown sugar


Give a large skillet a quick spray of olive oil.  Add the bag of cabbage and a 1/4 - 1/2 c water,  Shred some carrots (if wanted, the mix already had some, but I added more) into the skillet, shred the onion into the skillet, add the garlic.  Stir and cover to steam about 4-5 minutes, take off the top and let the water steam out.




Add the raw meat and break up as it cooks.  



When the meat is cooked, add the salt, brown sugar, ketchup and mustard, start off with less and add more after you've mixed it in if you think you need it.


I serve them on whole wheat buns:


** About 5 minutes before I was done making these I thought "Wouldn't these be good with tater tots?"  
So, I literally begged my husband go to Sonic for tater tots, so much for a healthy meal!  But at least I didn't have to make a side dish.... 

2 comments:

Robyn June 20, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

YOu sneaky veggie adding chef! LOL GREAT idea! I LOVE it! I have to agree, there is something hardwired into our brains (probably from elementary school) that says you HAVE TO HAVE tater tots with sloppy joes! We almost always do for some reason! But we do not have a Sonic anywhere remotely near us ;-(

Tami June 20, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

That looks sooo good....wonder if my husband would relize there was cabbage in it. :o)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP