We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Let there be Light, Candle Holder, Frugal Home Designs

16 June 2010

Hello Everyone, it is Fawn again excited to be here on Remodelaholic. This month I have a Pottery Barn hack for you. I noticed the Wood Block Votive Holder in my new Pottery Barn catalog and thought it would be awesome out on the patio table. It seemed like a pretty easy thing to make. Turns out it was so let's get started. Here's what you will need: 4 x4 cut to length (I found mine for 51 Cents in the hull bin at Home Depot) Drill with a spade/flat bit Sand paper Stain Legs First, you need to find the center of your 4 x4 (remember the actual measurement isn't 4"). You will notice in the picture below that I measured and marked the center. I did this on both ends they used a straight edge to connect the dots. It is a little hard to see, but there is a light pencil line right down the center. Next you have to determine where you want the votive/tea light hole to begin and mark that off. I wanted there to be about an inch and a half on each end. I measured and drew a straight line with my speed square. Here is quick preview to illustrate. Now on to drilling the holes. I used a 1 1/2" spade drill bit. You will notice in the picture below the spade bit has a point in the middle. I lined that up with the center line I drew in the first step. I am a pretty visual person so this is how I went about spacing out my tea lights. I put my first one lined up with my line I measured for my "edge" then measured one inch-ish from the tea light. I knew I wanted that one inch mark to be the edge of my next tea light so I lined up the drill and went to town. Notice the edge of the drill is at the one inch measurement mark. Then repeat Until you are finished. Time to sand. I used 80 grit first then 220 grit to make it nice and soft. After sanding remove all of the dust. I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I have found a lint free rag is the best tool for applying stain. Also, do your self a favor and invest in some rubber gloves--I learned this they hard way. I had some knobs that I got at the Goodwill for 49 cents. They happen to be flat on the bottom so a little dollop of Gorilla Glue later and this lady has legs. Perfect for the patio table, now it goes right over the "bump" for the umbrella opening.
Now I realize those aren't actual votives. Let me explain. I found some votives that would be perfect for super cheap, but it turns out that they don't make 2" spade bits and I didn't want to have to buy new tools. If you want to use votives larger than 1 1/2 inch you will need a forstner bit. I didn't want to spend the $20+ so I just switched to tea lights.
My whole project cost $2.50--not bad.
Come on over to Frugal Home Designs to see what else I have been up to.

8 comments:

Unknown June 16, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

Oh, to be at the decor project phase! So many good ideas, but they have to go in my "to do someday" pile. This is a really simple one, and those kinds of candle holders are usually much more expensive than the cost it takes to DIY!

By the way, I am doing some major reno work and would love some input on which flooring stain I should choose. Please stop by my blog and vote!

Unknown June 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

i love anything that will put to good use all the scraps we have left over from our latest project! this is so perfect. Thanks!

Brianne June 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

Ooo I love this! So simple, yet so cute! I will definitely have to try this. :)

Heidi Marie June 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

wow that's awesome! I'm not huge on candle holders, but I'm glad I read this one. Love it!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP