We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

A day at the Beach, Mantel Makeover; 33 Shades of Green

10 June 2010

.
I'm so excited to be here at Remodelaholic guest posting again! Thank you Cassity for having me! Please come and visit me at my blog 33 Shades of Green. You'll find me cooking, crafting, decorating, and trying out all sorts of creative projects.
.
Well, Summer is here and my mantle was in need of a make-over that was worthy of hot, Summer days.  I decided on a beach theme using lots of shells, sand, and other natural elements. 
.
Here's what my fireplace looked like before I started:
.
.
As much as I like having my TV above my fireplace, it sometimes causes challenges in decorating the mantle. 
.
Everything I used to decorate were things that I already had.  Most of the shells I used I have had since I was a child.  Most of them came from family trips to Florida.  I'm so glad I have all of these beautiful shells - who knew I would be using them years later to decorate!
.
.
Here's what the mantle looks like now:
.
 .
I purchased the apothecary jars from TJ Maxx and Marshall's a few years ago.  I'm glad I have them - I usually keep them up on my mantle most of the year.  I just switch out the fillers for the different seasons.
.
.
.
Two of the jars are filled at the bottom with sand and shells on top.
.
.
The third jar is filled with dried sea bark I purchased from Pottery Barn a few years ago.  I think it is actually dried cactus.  I recently saw these for sale at Michael's.
.
.
.
I bought both of the star fish on the island of Capri in Italy.  Every time I look at them it reminds me of our great vacation!
.
.
.
I printed out the sea horse and shell print for free from Vintage Printables.  Check out this site - there are so many great things you can print for free!
.
.
.
I have two frames hanging near my fireplace.  I switched out the photos I had in the frames for more shell prints.
.
.
.
Not bad for free prints!
.
.
I added beach grass to a vase filled with sand to set in front of the fireplace.
.
.
.
To complete the Summer look, I added a hurricane filled with sand and shells to my coffee table.
.
.
.
Thanks for reading!  I hope you are inspired to bring a little bit of Summer inside your home.  Stop by and visit me at 33 Shades of Green.
.

14 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} June 10, 2010 at 7:52 AM  

I love this!! I did a spring makeover on my mantel, I guess it's time for some summer changes now.
http://ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2010/04/mantle-makeover.html
I'm inspired. Thanks for the Vintage Prints tip too. Will def. check that out.

heather

Life in Rehab June 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

That looks like some of the swag I usually display in my house. Very beachy and calming, nicely done.

Karen June 10, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

It's so fun to makeover the mantle with the change of seasons. I love this summer look.

Sunshine and Shadows June 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

I love how you decorated your mantle. I have the hardest time with getting mine right. This could work for m.e

Sue June 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

I just recently bought some white starfish like yours at a garage sale..the yellow one is stunning!!!!

Cat June 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

Love, love, love the beachy theme and all the sea shells! Stunning!

Unknown June 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

Looks great- I am hoping to get tv for above the fireplace, but I was not sure about it. This gives ma a bit of hope that it is a good thing.

Ms. Bake-it June 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

Right up my alley! I have shell displays in just about every room of my house. The mantel display is done in a very tasteful manner and really looks great! I love it.

Pati @ A Crafty Escape June 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

Love this! Thank you for the tip on the vintage prints site- def checking that out!

Panamamama June 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM  

I just filled a big jar with shells we got at the beach! Was wondering what to do with the sanddollars and now I am going to try the hurricane with the sand and sanddollars!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP