We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

There's a first time for everything...: Furniture Re-do, Guest

29 May 2010

This project has inspired me so much that I am going to try adding some drawers (and height to a buffet that I have... when ever I get to it)  And this was her first time!  WOW! From over at One Life Many Journeys she pulled off a this great transformation!



This project has taken me way longer than I would have ever dreamed. I hear others in blog land talk of doing projects in a weekend....what is up with that. Maybe some day I can be more efficient.

I bought this gun cabinet from a lady on Craigslist. Her dog tried to bite me but it was so worth it.

Are ya just itchin to see it? Ok I will stop teasing. Her she is in all her faded glory.



She is a little rough around the edges. I am sure she had seen better days.

I took her apart to make the sanding and spray painting a little easier. Time for sanding.....



I sanded the whole thing down and filled in deep scratches and chips with wood filler......I kinda missed some picture taking opportunities here. I added crown molding to the top. After sanding I primed everything and then decided to add two slots for baskets.






I remembered to take the most random pictures. This is the basket box that I was building.



Just a little peep










The drawer pull and knob were both ORB and did not show well so I gave them a spattering of silver and now they pop and match the chicken wire!


Oh...I know....GET ON WITH IT!


I junked the pressed stuff that was on the back and replaced it with bead board. I painted it white and then glazed it. There was no glass for the door so I stapled and stapled and stapled....oh sorry....chicken wire. Did I mention that it took a billion staples for the chicken wire and that I can attest to the fact that it will eat your knuckles off.







BEFORE

AFTER

Just a couple more angles cause I just cant stop!!!

This one helps you see the glazed bead board goodness!




 
Ain't she a beauty? Just as I envisioned her to be!!
Would you have done something different? Let me have it.

Isn't that basket shelf a great idea?
What do you think?  How did she do?

17 comments:

One Life Many Journeys May 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

Oh Snap! I am so stoked to be featured on your blog! Yours is one of my faves!!! Inspiring each other is what this thing is all about!! You should see the grin on my face. It is a little shameful. LOL

COTTAG3 May 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

When I saw the before, I could see potential but had not idea where she was going with that. The chicken wire is great! The whole thing looks wonderful. It's an awesome makeover.

Rach May 29, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

This is so beautiful. I just love everything that you have done. This piece turned out perfect!

Unknown May 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

I love it..........it fits into narrow places unlike the big klunky hutches.

Tales From My Empty Nest May 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

That gun cabinet makeover is amazing!! I can't believe how great it turned out. Wow!!! I am so inspired when I see projects like this. People make it look so easy! Hope you are having a great weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

Lisa May 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

So inspiration! What a good idea to make a spot for the baskets. Fantastic!

Anonymous,  May 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM  

Love it, totally amazing makeover. I especially love the basket holder section oh and the crown moulding at the top. You cant even tell it was the same piece, very special!
I'm having a giveaway over at my blog do pop over for a peek sometime :0)
alicia

Rebecca@This Present Life May 30, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

Wow! What a transformation! And although it sounds like the chicken wire was a pain, it was totally worth it 'cause it looks great! I love that you added the crown molding to the top, too. I wouldn't have done anything differently!

meshell966 May 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

WOW!!!!! I love it!! My husband has a gun safe just like this. It's at his parents house. I wanted to leave it there, didn't have any idea what to do with the big, ugly and bulky gun safe. NOW I DO!!!!! Thanks for the awesome idea.
Michelle

Jen T May 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

This is awesome! It's so pretty and I know working with the chicken wire is an exercise in pain! I just finished a project with hardware cloth and I will think twice before I do that again. Your cabinet turned out beautiful - good job!! JenT

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP