We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Take a bow, I mean seat; Reupholstery Project, Guest

16 May 2010


I am so behind on my party highlights, but this chair had to be shared, the upholstering job is perfect, and looks so clean and professional- this was her first time too- WOWsers!  Thanks to Autumn at The Fickle Hobbyist for linking up:  This is what she did:

I am so excited to finally be able to post this! I feel like this project dragged on forever. Not because the chair itself took a long time, but I had to wait for my cord foot, and then found out that I ordered one that wasn’t quite what I was looking for. So then I decided to see if they made a double cording foot for my Bernina, and…they do. And what’s worse? They had it in stock at the sew shop. Doh! I could have been done with this on Monday. But oh well, it’s done now, and I can’t wait to share it with you!


Ok, so remember that chair? Nothing TOO wrong with it. I’m sure lots of people would be fine to leave it in their rooms just the way it is. (or maybe they would take the plastic off first. To each his own…)


I had had big plans for this chair, though. I’m trying to veer away from the “plain Jane” thing now, and try something new. This fabric was screaming my name when I saw it.

You can find this fabric at Fabric.com. It’s called Madison Black/Cotton Candy. It’s only $6.98 a yard, y’all! (omg, Texas has rubbed off on me!!)


So the first thing I did was take the plastic off. I mean, really, who was that helping? It was taped on.


Then Abby and I spent a good hour or two taking the fabric and foam off and removing staples. Let me just say, I don’t know who is actually able to remove staples with a flat head screwdriver. These stapes were in there GOOD, and I had to break out the handy dandy butter knife to get underneath them! Here she is down to bare bones.


The chair’s arms were actually coming out of the joints a little, so I wiggled them out some more and put wood glue in there to secure them both up. Of course, wouldn’t you know, my C-clamps were not long enough so I had to rig this little do-dad up. I used a ratcheting strap to pull the arms tight into the joints for a good 24 hours.


Then, I took her outside to give her a light sanding. I hate sanding, so I’ll be honest, I didn’t spend a lot of time doing this, just giving it a little tooth and taking off the sheen of the gloss. I just used a sanding sponge (220 grit) for this.


There was a good chunk taken out of the very top of the piece, so I filled it with some wood putty, and when that was dry, gave it a little sanding to smooth it out.


At this point I broke out the spray paint. I used this:

I found that it covered VERY well. It says 2x for a reason. I also really liked the spray part of the can. It’s got a nice grip on it, not just one of the old button pushy types we’re all so familiar with. It was well designed. I loved the satin finish on this chair. I used about 1.5 cans on the chair to ensure full coverage.


All of this stuff I could have figured out on my own, but when it comes to the actual upholstery stuff, I really have Design Intervention to thank. She did a Reupholstery 101 that outlined what to do here, and I followed all of the steps she has outlined there. (be sure to check out her Reupholstery 101 and now 202 class she has! They’re great.)
I saved the original fabric that I pulled off the chair to use as a template for the new fabric. When you do this make sure to leave some extra around the edges, so you have something to pull on when you’re stapling. I decided to do the easiest part of the chair first. For the back I needed to first put in the fabric that shows through to the backside of the chair. I laid the fabric in, being sure to center the design (because in my opinion, nothing ruins a fantastic upholstery job faster than off center fabric!!!) Then, I staped once at the top, stretched it, and stapled in the middle of the bottom.


When my design was centered, I made my way around the sides being sure to alternate left, right, top, bottom, each time so I could get it nice and taught, and keep it centered.

Then, I centered the foam piece in the middle…

And another piece of fabric on top, again, being sure to center the design.

In the same manner I used to staple the back of the chair, I stapled this piece of fabric in, starting at the top once, the bottom once, and then alternating my way around, being sure to keep the fabric taught as I stapled. Then I cut the fabric pretty closely to the staples, leaving me with this.

For the cushion, I laid the wood base back down, put the foam back on, and centered the fabric and began by stapling once in the back, and then once in the front to secure the design in place. Then I stapled once on each side. When I got to the arms, I followed the directions she posted at Design Intervention on day 3. Then, I just made my way around the base of the cushion stapling as I held the fabric tight so as to avoid puckering as much as I could. Then, when I was all done stapling, I again cut the fabric close to the staples.

And here is where the chair sat for a week or so. I really wish I had checked back to the 101 verify that I was ordering the right thing. I mean I’ll still use the cord foot I ended up getting, but I hate waiting, and I could have finished this chair so much sooner!
When I finally picked up the double corded foot today, I set off to make the double welted cord. Follow the first link to Design Intervention up there to find out how I did it. I really was easy and I ADORE the way the cording turned out! I think it looks so much more professional than buying the generic black cord at Hobby Lobby or something.
When you’ve got your cord, grab your hot glue gun and get to work!
(is this perspective tripping you out?)
I finished off both the back and the cushion and took her outside for a photo shoot.
I’m sure my neighbors think I’m a loon taking pictures of a chair in the front yard.

     
It’s not perfect, but you know what? I’m dang proud of my first reupholstered chair!


Plus, I had a lot of fun doing it! And isn’t that what we’re all after?
    
Now I can’t wait to get to the room that this chair will go into. haha

Perfect! 
I have several chairs needing to be reupholstered, 
Autumn is officially invited to do it for me, LOL! 

16 comments:

BLJ Graves Studio May 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

Fabulous!!! She did an amazing job. I love the fabric and the chair is georgous.

* Nancy * May 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

Wow you have a natural hand at reupholstering furniture! Keep it up! :)

angelina May 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

awesome _ you've really stepped up to the plate onthis chair. i 'm sure its maker of long ago would be proud of your work.
x

Sandy a la Mode May 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

i NEED that fabric right now! thanks for sharing where you got it from, soo cool!! this chair is STUNNING!

Anne May 16, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

WOW!!! Fantastic job! I've got 4 chairs waiting to be repainted and reupholstered. I've got one painted, but have been putting off the reupholstery for over a year now...but you make the whole process look so easy. Guess it's time to get off my duff and just do it!

Pretty Little Things for Home & Life May 16, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

Congrats! The chair looks great. You did a wonderful job. I picked up my first chair today at VV and while it's a little more complicated (tufting and all that jazz), I only hope it turns out half as wonderful.

AutumnBrooke May 17, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

OMG! Thank you so much for featuring me! I've been out of town with my grandpa's memorial and all that family business that I completely missed this until today. I really appreciate you posting this. :)

-Autumn

Anonymous,  May 18, 2010 at 5:32 AM  

Very nice Autumn!! You are an inspiration to me!! Thanks!!

Amy Hadley May 21, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

This chair is permanently seared in my memory. I looooove it! Well done. And you've given me hope I can conquer the chair in my living room that stares at my while I Wii Fit... the one with the cat scratch marks on the fabric.

PS~Erin May 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

It looks awesome! Nice job! Going to check out the 101 you linked to. Thanks!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP