We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Silhouettes, Guest Project

22 May 2010

I love what Angel at TaDa Creations does.  She has a ton of talent, and has done such a  great job at making the perfect silhouettes.  And she showed us how to do it!  (Sorry this post is SO late, I am trying to catch up on party highlights!!)

I've always loved the classic look of silhouettes. Especially when they are of children, and even better yet, a baby. I knew I wanted these over our bed with the new black and yellow color scheme of our bedroom. So I finally got busy yesterday and cut them out.

Photobucket

I found oval 10"x12" frames at JoAnn a while back. You can usually find them on sale for 50% off or buy one get one free. Or at the very least use a 40% off coupon (they accept competitors coupons too). I bought a new Exacto knife and 7 sheets of black scrapbook paper. I figured I'd make some mistakes and be thankful for the extra paper. I actually could have gotten away with just 2 sheets. For both the black and the white I bought paper with a mock linen texture to it.

Photobucket

I took pictures of the kiddos earlier, trying to get them all about the same distance away in the photo. Then I copied them into Word and printed them onto regular paper to use for my templates. I later had to print Emily's a tad bigger to be in scale of Allison and Sam.

Photobucket

I determined that I wanted the final faces to all be looking to the left to I traced the back of the pint outs. I knew that later they would be traced to the back of the black paper so any ridges from cutting would end up on the backside. Drawing the outline on the backside also helped to be better able to see just the lines I wanted to cut on. Tape it to a window so you can see through from the front.

Photobucket

My initial first drawing. Lots to clean up and more details to add including eyelashes. You don't really see eyelashes protruding from a sideview, but they add a lot to a silhouette.

Photobucket

Here is where I noticed that the scale of Emily's face was a little smaller than Allison's, so I went back to my Word doc and dragged it a little bigger until it seemed right.

Photobucket

Now to tweak the details. Allison originally had side buns, but I made it look more like one bun in the back and added the little flyaways under it. I also gave a better shape to their bows and to Emily's ponytail. Sam got a bit more definition to his hair so he didn't look so bald. And they all got retro looking collars, perhaps my favorite part of all.

Photobucket

Then I was ready to start tracing the lines with my knife (on top of my cutting mat of course). I didn't tape anything down, I just held the template very tightly with my left hand. I did all of them while kneeling on the floor, which wasn't fun, but it gave me good leverage.

On the right is the photo I cut out and the left is where the silhouette came out of. It was tough to get it to cut through the whole way around even though I pressed so hard my fingers ached (especially after cutting out all three). Just go back over those spots and when it's all detached you'll have a few rough spots to spruce up.

Photobucket

Next I double checked to make sure I liked the overall scale.

Photobucket

Here is all three cut out. It looks like I need to makes Sam's nose a little more round, it's pretty pointy here. And Emily's upper lip got cut a little smaller than it should have. I need to redo hers for sure, but my fingers still ache so that will wait until tomorrow. I would suggest starting with the face so that if you make a mistake you haven't wasted all your time and energy with the rest of the details. I learned that the hard way.

Photobucket

Close up of her mis-cut lip. Sorry Sweetie!

Photobucket

Next I used the glass from the frames to cut the white background paper out. I just swiped the Exacto knife all the way around the glass. That worked pretty slick. Of course you'll have to wash the glass and get all the upc label residue off. Why do they always put stickers where they don't belong?

Photobucket

I used archival double sided tape on the backs to secure them.

Photobucket

Then I laid them all in the frames to see what they would look like. I measured to make sure they were centered correctly. I thought I could eyeball them, but I did have to move one down and another over slightly, so I'm glad I measured.

Photobucket

Perfect, now they are ready for hanging!

Photobucket

I am so in love with these on my yellow walls.

Photobucket

You could really have fun with these and use a patterned paper for the background.
Or how fun to cut the images from a different color?

Photobucket

But I really love the classic look for this spot. They are just what this wall needed.

Do you think I hung them too high? I didn't have the luxury of someone else to hold them up so I could see them from far away.

Photobucket


I love the styling of the silhouettes, 
they are perfect and totally classic!
What do you think?

12 comments:

*Nikki* May 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

that is too too too too sweet!! I love it!! and I am so stealing this to do in our bedroom!!!
love this post!!

Benn's Wife May 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

I love these! They are so sweet! Now I know what Grandma is getting for Christmas! Thanks for sharing.

Marla May 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

I think they are awesome. You did such a nice job! Love your bedroom with the black and white and touch of red. What color is the wall? It is such a pretty bedroom. Marla

Heather{Our Life In a Click} May 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

This is so cute! Love the idea, my kids are probably too old to want to do this but maybe I can find some older photos of them to try it.


-heather

Stacia May 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

Very cool website! Thanks for the comment! I am your newest follower! :)

I'm sure I'll find some great projects on here!

Tales From My Empty Nest May 22, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

The silhouettes turned out great and look so good over the bed. You did a nice job with them. Thanks for the tips on doing it ourselves. Love & blessings from NC!

Delia May 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

Very pretty. Thanks for the tip on where to find oval frames. It is not as easy you would think! :)

Be Colorful Coastal May 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

Wow, this is so much simpler than my method. i took a picture put in in photo shop and altered the image so I could trace around it, erase the back ground and fill in the fore ground. It took me like ten tries to get it right. Like I said this would be way easier but at least I learned a bit about photo shop. :)
Pam

Kelsey May 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

These turned out gorgeous!!! I totally need to do them one of these days...except I want to try doing the silohette's in black over a turquoise background...hm...maybe I'll have to tackle it sooner because now I can't wait to see how they turn out! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP