We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Powder Puff; Powder Room Remodel: Guest

11 May 2010

Well, the last feature led me to this remodel and I had to share.  First of all, I love the cat, and I know that my cat Buddy has a kindred spirit out there. And then of course the thing we really want to see is the room, and Lisa of Lisa Goulet Design did a great job:

I have a finished powder room!

After living in this home for three years and hating the powder room, can you believe it was too big!  Just felt like a big cavernous hole especially with the puny pedestal sink.  Anyways, I made do for awhile by wallpapering a couple of walls (the wallpaper from Graham & Brown called Charming - that I blogged about last week) and changing the light fixture to a much prettier one. 

Here's the before pictures:



 
This last one shows the wallpaper from Graham & Brown.  Check out how Kelly's used this wallpaper in her gorgeously finished master bedroom over at Design Ties.

But now, I think it is my favourite room in the house!!

So what did I do, well first I must give my hubby lots of credit as he did all the hard labour and had to sacrifice himself and go buy some new power tools - it was tough but he hung in there and finished it quickly! ;)   I was also trying to stay on a budget as we will have four children in university and college in the fall and we're trying to be responsible parents.

A couple of months ago I found the perfect 1920's mahogany dresser at an antique sale for the great price of $300.  I had been looking for one to convert into a vanity that was the correct size, shape and finish.   It looked like this when we got it.

Then I went looking for the sink and faucet.  Well I wanted an oval sink to mirror the bow in the dresser and I had wanted a bowl sink but the dresser was already 34" high so I had to find something else otherwise as a vanity it would be too high.  After much looking I finally found a Kohler sink for that was oval, the right size and had about a 1 1/2" lip to make it feel more like a bowl sink. Here it is:
Then the faucet, I originally wanted a more modern style faucet but I felt that since the sink, light fixture and wallpaper were quite modern that I should go with a more vintage feeling faucet to tie the vanity into the space.  Here's the faucet I chose, a bit of a splurge but it's beautiful - it's a Showhouse (by Moen) and it's called Waterhill in a chrome finish.











And the Waterhill matching toilet paper holder...so pretty!


Okay I have the two pieces that hubby needs to get started and here's the work in progress. This is our supervisor Milo always at the ready to lend a paw.



Now him and hubby are discussing the plumbing and what needs to be done....


Any mice back there?

And here's how it looks now!!

Here's a close up of the vanity and the mirror that I found a Home Sense that was perfect. The photographs are mine from Paris (of course)....













Even Milo was pleased with the results and gave it his Paw of Approval!

I don't know if you noticed but I didn't stick with one metallic finish.  The light fixture, faucet, towel and toilet paper holder and glass shelf are all in a chrome finish.  The orchid bowl, mirror, vase (on floor), picture frame above the toilet and the medallions over the toilet are all in an antiqued silver finish.  Because the handles on the vanity are the original brass ones (which I didn't want to change) and the wallpaper has an antique gold in it, I felt that bringing in some warm yellow tones would tie everything together. 

And my budget, well it came in around $1200 which I think is pretty good.  That included the vanity, plumbing pieces, mirror, sink, faucet and accessories.  It doesn't include my hubby's new tools as apparently we needed those anyways!! ;)  Well, I'm so very, very, very pleased with the results and that I have one room in the house completed.....now what's next????

Well what do you think?
I am booking Milo to help me with my next project (although I think Buddy our cat will be jealous!!)

18 comments:

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener May 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

What a great redo! I LOVE the wallpaper, but not as much as I love the cat. What a character!

Unknown May 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

I absolutely LOVE this bathroom. What an amazing transformation. I'd love to know what color the paint is... it's the exact shade I've been looking for. Wow, beautiful job.

Renée May 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

Such a talent...love what you came up with and how nice to have enough space to add the dresser. It's really a fabulous redo. Congrats!

Mag May 11, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

this is so pretty!! i think i can just sit there and read my books the whole day

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors May 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

Amazing job! I love the wallpaper and the mirror, and the vanity - in fact, I like absolutely everything! Kerri

Tales From My Empty Nest May 11, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

This turned out great!!! I love it all. I especially love the dresser with the sink mounted on top. You did a wonderful job! Love & blessings from NC!

The Shiny Pebble May 12, 2010 at 3:17 AM  

Wow! That wallpaper is awesome. I also loved the shiny pieces added. Great job.

Unknown May 12, 2010 at 5:27 AM  

Beautiful bathroom, I love the chest. I just did one in my guest bath last year, my second one, I did one in the master bath of my old house several years ago. Great wallpaper.
Sandy

Lisa May 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

Thanks Everyone for the lovely comments! For Melissa: the paint colour is Benjamin Moore Silver Fox.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP