We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Fake and Make; Pottery Makeover! Guest Project

05 May 2010

I've see this project all over blog land but I am really loving the results, it opens up a whole bunch of thrift store/ garage sale-ing possibilities.  I wanted to show you what this project is, and luckily this party link from Jennifer at Life on Old Savannah fills the bill. This is what she did:

Here we go with a new season and time for a new mantel. I have been inspired so much since I started blogging to try and bring out the creativity in myself. I think sometimes women get so busy with doing daily chores and mundane tasks, they forget how to use their minds and body in ways that reflect how creative they are. I truly think God has given us all talents, we just have to take the time to figure out what they are....so anyway, I'm really trying to utilize my ability or so-called talent of being a copycat.

That's right..I admit it, I AM A COPYCAT!!

So if you are worried about someone using your ideas, you better block me as a follower, because I'm out there and ready to steal all the ideas. Seriously, when I see something that moves me into action, I do try to give it my own spin. But sometimes it's just difficult to improve on perfection. So while stumbling around bloggerland, I came across some beautiful mantels that were decorated in all white. I loved the look and how clean and crisp it seemed. So, I searched around the house and of course had a few white things but definitely not enough to fill the mantel. So off to the local thrift store and guess what I found...REALLY UGLY VASES AND PITCHERS.



YIKES!!! I know, but I only paid $6.00 for all of them....then sprayed them with white primer and then white spray paint....now look at them..
.


You'll notice that the little brown teapot that I picked up for a dollar isn't in the picture...when I was getting ready to paint it, I noticed the "Made in Occupied Japan" mark and thought, I just can't spray paint this. It probably isn't worth much, but the idea made me shudder...so I will use it somewhere else. I also want you all to know that if I ever had a job as a professional spray painter, I would be standing on the street corner for additional funds...I'm terrible!!! There are streaks and puddles all over these things, but hopefully I can hide them where nobody will notice.

So here is the finished product...


I made this plate with my cricut...it's just a dinner plate I had in the pantry and black vinyl design.


Here is the debated bird's nest...she's crazy...it's precious!!


I've had these little iron bugs for quite awhile, I thought they looked sweet on the mantel to tie in the darker pieces.





I really like it; it isn't exactly what I had pictured, but I like all the same.I swapped out my mirror that I normally use above the fireplace with this white one I had in the garage. I added the little brown Occupied Japan teapot in and sprayed another little vase with ORB...it looks horrible up close, but unless someone is standing inspecting the mantel, they shouldn't be able to tell what a screw up it is...Then there is the bird's nest debate; my sister hates the bird's nest on the bud vase, she tells me when she comes over she will "flick it off"...what do you think? Bird's nest or no bird's nest?...I think it adds a little sumpin' sumpin'....plus I saw it on someone else's blog and thought it was adorable.

Well what do you all think of spray painting olds pottery?  
I think it is genius!

17 comments:

Tara@JustDevineStyle May 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

I love spray paint! Your mantle looks great! I am calling the police because you have admitted you stole an idea! haha I love that about blogland that there are so many ideas out there to try for yourself.

Design Apprentice May 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

I love this post and am laughing right now. I just came in from outside and have spray paint coating my hands completely. I too am not a pro when it comes to spray painting. I have streaks or it oddly wrinkles like nail polish, and even when I sand it and redo that spot again it happens. I don't know why so I guess I have to realize theres beauty in the imperfections!! Your vases look incredible and so does your mantle, I loveeee it.

Debbie (Meadowcrest Cottage) May 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

I think you ARE a genius! I love what you did. I never get out of Walmart without buying spray paint and primer. As I type this I am waiting for paint to dry so I can put a second coat on. Great Job!!
Debbie

Unknown May 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

Love it. I think the bird's nest looks cute there.

You go, girl!

:) Laura

Alicia ~ time worn style May 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

Have just found your blog and think its fabulous, will become a follower for sure!!
alicia

Jennifer May 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

Thank you so much for featuring me...I am so excited...and thank you everyone for the kind words about my mantel...I love meeting all my fellow bloggers...thanks again.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} May 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

I'm about to try spray painting myself.(as in trying it but not spraying myself!) ;) Love it on the old pottery. I especially love your bird plate! Stunning!!
I just started blogging and I'm enjoying reading everyone else's fabulous ideas!

-heather

Kelli W May 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

I really love this! It is amazing what a good coat of spray paint can do! My hubby is finishing up a new table for my living room and I am going to have to decorate it somehow! I'm think this would look great! Thanks for sharing!

Sawdust Girl May 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

I think I'm going to have to get a Cricut. I've been holding out because I have a Sizzix and Cuttlebug and tons of dies but I've seen so many great projects out there using that darn new machine. Darn it! Her projects look great by the way!

LaLaLand May 6, 2010 at 6:54 AM  

I love it, although I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to paint over something with roses on it ;P You did a wonderful job on your mantle and I love the Cricut plate! I just got my Cricut and have been scouring the net for ideas to copycat myself!
I think it's wonderful that all these ideas are shared so that others can spring new ideas from them.

Life in Rehab May 6, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

Hey, you know I'll spray paint ANYTHING. Good job, and do those pieces look fresh and gorgeous now!

Carey May 6, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

I think the bird's nest is cute!! Leave it be. Great job on the spray paint (at least from a distance). =)

Cinda May 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Personally....I think the bird's nest should definitely be included...but think it would be just as adorable sitting next to the vase.
BTW...Love your blog!!!!

Christie // lemon squeezy home May 7, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

I love the bird plate!

Thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower. I came and did the same, and I'm glad to see your cute blog!

I have so many unfinished projects around the house!!! Sewing kind of takes up my time. Maybe we could swap, ha ha!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP