We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

This Table is the Tops! Guest Party Highlight

03 April 2010


This wonderful table looks like it walked off the pages of a magazine and I LUFF it.  I get giddy when something boring is turned into something great! That is exactly what Ali from Little Bits of Bliss did with her old dining room table.  It is just too beautiful for words!  Here is what Ali said about their project:


So, the table has actually been done for awhile, but with the busyness of March so far I hadn't even had time to take pictures of it--- but now she can finally have her debut-----


Isn't she a beauty fish...........
(if you don't know what I'm talking about go listen to Brian Regan- I love him he makes me laugh so hard :)

If you recall the before:

Lovely hunter green-hmmm--

I found some chairs finally off of Craigslist that I liked and was going to refinished since all of mine so far don't match and half of them I have to make sure and tell people not to sit on them cuz' they'll smash them to the ground--- awkward-- " I really mean the chair is weak not that your hefty or anything you know you look really good, have you lost weight recently?." 


But bad thing was the chairs included a table with it and they wouldn't split it up. So for the $60 price tag I figured whatever I'll figure something to do with the table--- 

After a visit to Knock off wood and falling in love with the farmhouse table that she made I figured we could just rip the old tile table top off of this one and replace it with wood planks- (Thank you so much Ana for the idea and plans)  Anyway a week or so later this is the conversation that ensued.

Me: Honey, I think I figured out what I'm going to do with that table---- I'm going to rip off the old tile table top and build more of a farmhouse table on the legs cuz' I really like the legs of it.

Dave: Uhhhh-- I think we should finish the fireplace.

"Ya but I'll do it by myself you don't even have to worry about it-- I'm gonna get me a pink hammer."

"What? your going to buy yourself a pink hammer?"

"No- This pink hammer---  see I'll be awesome sauce cuz' I did it all by myself and I'll link to this page-- cool huh"

"uhhh-- why does it matter if your hubby helped you or not? Where's the my freakin amazing hubby built this flame hammer? huh?"

"Ummm---whatever-- it'll be cool and I'll do it by myself"

"You know that  farmhouse table design looks like a picnic table to me"

"Whatever, I like it and it does not- it looks like a table that's been used and loved and had many cherished memories over-- I like it--- now can we please take the truck so you can help me get the wood."

"But that would mean that I was helping you and you weren't doing it all by yourself"

"Whatever that doesn't count-- you don't want your big pregnant wife to have to put all those boards in the truck by herself do you?"

"K, get the kids in the truck"

After getting the measurements and making the plan, going to the store and loading the wood and bringing it home I ended up on the couch so so so tired.

Dave: "Come on-- let me help you build that table"

Me: "Alright--  but I will get my pink hammer sometime ya know"

"uh- huh"

"I will"

"yep"

"You don't believe me? Do you honey?"

" No I believe you, but I think you know deep down having the amazing hubby flame hammer involved makes the process go a hecka lot faster huh."

"Ya your right-- I really like the amazing flame hammer hubby-- He looks very very sexy when he's using that hammer."

"Whatever you crazy girl"

See I told you it had some nice legs-- ugly green but nice

 The built but not "finished" table at to which when we were building it I said more than once
"Shoot! It does look like a picnic table"
But I still have hope--- It will look nice and I will like it when I finish it :)


See a little imagination-- It'll look similar to this pottery barn table :)
Can you see it?


Anyway I ended up finishing the table with some country white paint for the legs with a pecan glaze over top of it to strengthen the finish and add a little bit of distressing color to it. 
For the top I first did a whitewash of a yellow paint so the grain of the pine didn't stand out as much and than stained it pecan and than on top of the pecan stain and mostly around the edges I used a gel walnut stain- I also used the walnut stain very lightly around the legs, and than a few coats of satin poly on the top to make it a little shiny and protect the finish.
The Chairs-- I lightly sanded and than painted one coat of a dark brown/black (can't remember the name of it), than I used walnut stain over it-- it deepens the color but leaves a little bit of the undertone so it doesn't look so flat and gives it a harder finish- the chair tops I finished like the table top minus the whitewash.


I love her and all her imperfections-- and I don't worry about the kids hurting it- let the fork jabbing commence she needs more character :)-- sometime I want to build or find a bench for her so we have more seating-- what do you think should I use these plans and make the top of the bench match the table?? Either way it's gonna have to at least wait till after the baby is here-- I'm so in my third trimester and the tiredness has hit big time!

Here's the Cost breakdown:
Table and Chairs- $60
Wood for top and supports underneath- $30
Paint- I already had some left over in both colors--Brown and white-- but a quart at Wallyworld is around $8
Stain- already had it--- that's the good thing with many projects :) but to buy would have been around $12
So Total cost for me was $90 and some time-- not to shabby I don't think for a whole new kitchen set.


That is a great price!  

It is a beautiful table, and it will be a great place to gather as a family.   

I love everything Ali did!
Don't-cha all love it?

15 comments:

Unknown April 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

That is probably one of my top three transformations ever. Absolutely beautiful, and great tips for getting those gorgeous rich aged colors!

Lisa~ April 3, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

What a great job! Your conversation with your husband is hilarious. I still say you get a pink hammer (even though I don't know what that is). LOL! Lisa~

One Life Many Journeys April 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

I don't just love it.... I drool every time I go to her blog and see it. This is my FA-vo-RITE table redo EVER!!!!! You couldn't have picked a better guest!

Kati Aileen April 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

Wow it turned out amazing. I need a new dining room set. Maybe I'll get creative and do something like this. Thanks both of you for the inspiration.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity April 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

That is amazing - I love what she did with that table and chairs. She should at least get the Good Vision award, even if she can't get the Pink Hammer award.

April @ The Painted Cupboard April 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

That is gorgeous!! What type and width of wood did you use? Thanks!! aprilfrancom@hotmail.com

The House Creative April 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

This table is so beautiful! I love it! I totally looks totally like something from the pb catalog. What a great transformation.

Mel April 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

I'm glad you featured this, it is certainly deserving. Tremendous job!

Kelsey April 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

OMIGOSH...so gorg! I'm actually doing that to my table today and then I saw your post and it made me love the idea SO much more. Thanks for being awesome!

Sarah Sarniak April 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

So absolutely gorgeous. I love the plank top tables that the top is stained and the legs are white. I'm working on doing the staining/white legs to my table right now. I wanted to have planks on the inside, but unfortunately it didn't work out like that. :( Oh well!

Unknown April 4, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

It's beautiful! We appreciate things more when we make them so I think this was a great idea! Pottery Barn is so over priced anyway. :)

Ashley April 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

I relate to so many things in this post! First of all...I LOVE Brian Regan. Seen him live twice. Secondly, I have the same design stools on my butcher block kitchen table, which I love. AND I just bought some old chairs for $12 each and refinished them in green oil based paint. They look great!

I love this table!!! Take luck! ;)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP