We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Nice and Trim, Guest House Tour

12 April 2010

I found Autumn from Design Dump ages ago.  She was featured for a living remodel she had done on another blog.  I was in awe of the space.  I asked her a few questions about the incredible coffered ceiling they had installed.  And she is so nice, she totally explained everything I was interested in! 

 I asked her to give a us a tour of something she loves(from any of her houses), she is currently looking for house #7.  She is an incredible interior designer and her husband is a contractor!  (match made in HEAVEN!)
Here is Autumn: 

Hi there! First of all, I am so grateful to Cassity for allowing me to guest post here today at Remodeliholic! This is my first ever guest post (I know, I'm such a blogging rookie!), and I am honored that it is HERE! Of course, for this post I selected a topic that is near and dear to my heart--TRIM! It's one thing that I just can't get enough of, and I am constantly posting about my love for it!
 Many of my clients feel their spaces lack character and interest.  While there a several strategies to create texture, enhance proportions, and build design interest for a space, one of the most effective is to add architectural moldings. 
Adding crown molding to a space is a classic and yet very simple solution.
This is the first house that my husband and I built for ourselves nine years ago. We added crown molding to the ceiling, added a smaller piece of trim about four inches down the wall, and then painted the wall space in between to match the trim. The result is a larger, more elaborate looking molding.
Adding molding/trim to doors or openings is an easy way to produce a high impact design feature at a minimal cost.  For instance, the total cost of the materials for this opening was around $30. We added this type of treatment over the two major openings in our first home's foyer.
A more intricate version was installed in this custom home built by my husband.
The trim here helps define the door and creates additional mass, balancing the door's "visual weight"
against the expanse of the two-story wall.
Here are some other examples:
Basic pilasters (half-columns), in another one of our custom homes, define the bathtub.
At the Sanctuary Hotel on Kiawah Island in South Carolina,
large openings are wrapped in trim with inset louvered panels.
Another area of the Sanctuary Hotel features decorative headers which
 define the space and bring down the scale of the high ceilings which creates a more intimate environment.
In this custom home built by my husband, the 14 foot tall ceilings in the foyer would have seemed awkward with the absence of properly scaled moldings. Notice how the seven foot tall wainscoting establishes more appropriate proportions for the space.

Before remodeling, only a small piece of crown and base molding outlined the foyer of our last home. So we installed wainscoting to dress up the entry.  This also helped disguise the air return vent.  Did you notice it? If not, then we accomplished our goal!
Since the stairwell and upstairs hall were also visible from the foyer, we decided to continue the trim into these spaces.  The added trim transforms the long and ordinary hall into an appealing area for showcasing family photos.
Trim is an essential component in spaces that many people, including me, find comfortable and appealing. Whenever we remodel or build a new home, we  experiment with new treatments and applications of moldings. I am always searching for great ways to use trim. I get my ideas from past projects, magazines, as well as public spaces like restaurants, hotels and offices.  
  Installing additional trim/moldings does not have to be a complex or expensive endeavor. In fact, after painting, adding trim is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to customize any space. And, as you can see, the results can be breathtaking!

Don't you want to go check out Autumn's blog now?   
I would if I were you!

8 comments:

The Pennington Point April 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

I am very rarely inspired to actually DO the things I see on blogs. But this has gotten my juices flowing. I am going to be adding trim to my 85 year old farmhouse right away! I don't know why I never thought of it before, but it is the perfect solution. I love this post. I already added her to my blog list. Thanks~ Lisa~

Remodelaholic April 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

I too am a trim lover. When Cassity and I put up trim in our homes we love it immediatly and wonder why we did not do it sooner. It is like putting the icing on the cake and my Cassity knows how much I love icing.

Great Job, Autumn!

autumn April 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

thanks for the feature and opportunity to share my obsessive-like love for all things trim!
autumn

Jen@Because I can April 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

I know my blog is peanuts compared to yours but I am awarding you the Sunshine award!

Jen
http://becauseicancrafts.blogspot.com/

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity April 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

The trim you and your husband used is amazing. I didn't notice the air intake vent until I went back and looked for it - looks like the trim worked. It really makes the space seem polished and finished.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP