We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Mustard Yellow Tub and Toilet...

06 April 2010

Today I wanted to highlight my dad's guest bathroom remodel.  He did a terrific job with this project.  He was very conscious about cost and reusing what he had to make the project a success.  He did the bulk of the work and while we were in town we helped do all the painting and trim work to finish it up.

One of the main reasons I wanted to show this to you was because of the scary toilet and tub color that they worked around.  Obviously not an ideal color, but I think the end product is beautiful.  Here is what my dad said about the project:

This is part of the before picture of the guest bathroom. To keep costs low we chose to keep the toilet and tub, even though they were a matching mustard yellow color. The decorating colors were coordinated to complement the toilet and tub. The current floor was white linoleum and we chose to replace it with white tile.

Here my daughter begins the process of removing the vanity cabinet, the tall faux oak cabinet
and move the toilet. The vanity cabinet was saved, stripped and repainted.

In this image the wall trim was partily installed, and the linoleum has been removed.  New
particle board was installed and tile backer board screwed into place.

Once the faux oak cabinet was removed we removed the drywall to build a new
extended corner, to add room to the new future master bathroom remodel (which I will show you later) on the other side of the wall.  To give the new corner more flare, we put a forty-five degree angle on it, as seen in the next picture.  The framing seen in this picture will be removed once the new wall is framed and drywalled.

With the corner wall framing complete, the drywall went on next.

Drywall begins.

Drywall complete. Green drywall was used on the lower half of this corner,
because it was next to the toilet and tub.

Wall trim and baseboard comes next.

The old cabinet has been stripped and repainted. We also added two inches to
the rear of the cabinet making the top 24 inches deep, to allow for easier baby changing
on the top.  There are lots of grandchildren who visit our house. The porcelain
sink is sitting in the cabinet top hole for fitting.

The tile was then laid out and cut. We used an extension on the lip of the counter top to which
we glued the rim edging tile. In an area of high traffic, extra supporting for tile
edges can be helpful. The mirror cabinet was repainted too, but was not too
attractive so it was eventually replaced it as you can see in a later picture.

My daughters are in the middle of the painting process. 
 We selected a golden tinted paint for the upper half to compliment the tub and toilet color. 
This also helped to bring down the garrish tub and toilet color a notch and brought the bathroom together. 

One of the problems with this bathroom was that you could look straight into
the “golden throne” from the entry way of the house, if the door was open. By
moving the door over, approximately one foot nearer the cabinet, the toilet was not
visible from the entry to the house, cuz who wants to get caught with their pants down!

The door was reinstalled. Next came the drywall. The extra benefit to moving
the door is the added sapce that allowed for storage cabinets to replace the faux oak cabinet that had been near the tub.  Also the extremely simple box cabinets add a lot of architectural interest.

One slight problem we have found is that the cabinet drawer can bump into the door if pulled
out all the way. But the benefit of visually blocking the view into the room was worth it.

Focusing on the cabinet, the tile was glued and ready for grout and then the sink.
All the major elements of the room were not changed substantially but we were
able to take advantage of the existing cabinet by extending the top depth. The
choice of white tile copies the tub tile and does allow for color changes later.

The tub area was next. An aluminum window was replaced with a white vinyl
double glaze and is more energy efficient.

With almost a “stage” look to the shower side curtains,
it added drama to the drab former look of the shower.
The side curtains are hung on a specially made mounts attached to the wall.
This was a bit of an after thought, but with the drywall off, at the location they were
attached to a backing plate and installed while the drywall was off.  It’s always handy
to consider installing backing plates at the corners of windows when possible.

Using a little silk rope and tassle helps add a classy detail.

The ropes are attached to a decorative hook on the wall.

With the door moved over it allowed room for custom cabinets that add space for the bathroom towels and supplies. And by repeating the style of the wall trim on the top of the cabinets it gave a nice architectural feel.

To add another decorative feature we made the door for the smaller cabinet in
glass and have used the colors of the towels and a few other pictures for display elements.
Here are the afters:

 
 
 
 
What do you think?
I think they were very successful working around a rather troubling color for fixtures!

59 comments:

Onna April 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

I think that's amazing! That's what I think. What a wonderful remodel!!! I love it! Even with the yellow fixtures :)

Danielle April 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

Wow, the bathroom looks gorgegous! It's so warm and...well, as welcoming as a bathroom can be. Now it looks like the mustard toilet & tub were planned :)

Amanda Joy Petersen April 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

That is such a great transformation. My dad and step mom have mint green counter tops, paint and tub in the house they purchased forever ago. It also has a hunter green toilet. It is such a wretched bathroom, buit they are afriad to ever freshen things up, and I figure anything would be an improvement in there. I need to show them this post!

Katie Olthoff April 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

Wow! I think they did a GREAT job working with the color! The toilet seat jumps out at me in pictures...wonder what it would look like white?

Keri {One Mama's Daily Drama} April 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

Wow! I never would have thought that the toilet and tub color could be pulled off so elegantly!

Anne April 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

Wow - I never would have thought that color would work, but it does! Great job!

Anonymous,  April 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

Looks great, and hey, it's not mustard, it's 'Harvest Gold' actually. See how much nicer that sounds. :) We had the exact same fixtures in our 1977 bi-level and they still worked fine.

TinaC,  April 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

Wow! What a great transformation. I especially love the 45 degree angled wall. I am not a fan of the 70's colours, but they certainly did a wonderful job.

I have to agree with Katie about the toilet seat cover though. Now that all the wood had been painted out, it looks out of place. I'd be curious to see how a white one or maybe one similar to the fixtures/accessories colour would look.

Sonja @ Craft-Werk April 6, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

Great remodel! And as much as we had coloured tubs and sinks and loos at the moment - I bet they will be all the rage again in 10-15 years' time. So hang on to them ;-)...

a little bit of everything April 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Nice job! That color is called "Harvest Gold" I believe. I once had it in kitchen appliance colors in an older home. Vast improvement !

Maggie S April 6, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

Wow, I love that. I have a 1/2 bath that wants an overhaul. I wish I had those skills!!!

The Pennington Point April 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

That was a big job! I hope it serves them well...especially now that you can't see the potty from the front door! Great job. Lisa~

Sew Can Do April 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

Impressive. You really outdid yourselves this time! What a genius way to make a dated & hard to remove item suddenly look fresh & hip. Already a follower:)

Flutterby April 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

It looks really good! The only other thing I would have changed is the toilet seat because you got rid of the wood color everywhere else. But the room really does look amazing. Good work!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity April 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

What a fantastic way to integrate the colour of the fixtures. I think he did a wonderful job!

Wenderina April 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

Considering the handicap of that color, I'm amazed at the outcome. I'm not sure I have a suggestion for another option, but the oak toilet seat (I just got rid of mine Woo Hoo) really should go. But I can't imagine finding a matching mustard yellow, nor can I imagine a white replacement or even a "carpet" cover.

Lady J April 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM  

I think it is amazing!
And oddly enough...I was just wondering the other day when I saw a purple toilet, what would happen if the toilet seat broke (obviously, the purple toilet is now extinct due to over-hunting.) So I am guessing that the wooden or white toilet seat are the options available. I would go with the wooden one,too.

autumn April 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

i am really amazed at how great it looks! you really don't notice the gold toilet and bath!
and that fabric was perfect with the yellow and grey/taupe---totally the "in" color scheme right now!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} April 7, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

Beautiful! I especially love the new storage cabinets. And the yellow looks great!

Craftcherry April 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

WOW! Who would have thought that anyone could make that tub and toilet look good!? Wonderful job!!

kajr April 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

This is great! We had blue fixtures in our bathroom and tying the paint color in with the tub/sink/toilet helped tone it all down. I barely notice all the blue anymore.

bowiechick April 8, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

Great job on making that old Harvest Gold look updated. One less tub and toilet hitting a landfill/salvage yard.

Remodelaholic's Dad,  April 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

Appreciate all the nice comments. We tried a white toilet seat and it looked worse than the oak seat. We priced a matching color seat and it was about $80 alone. We chose to save the cost since an oak seat was only about $10 or $15. There are future options of changing the color of the tub with a porcelain color spray and buying a new toilet when funds allow, but keeping the costs low was a priority since we were planning a more extensive update of the master bath and we were saving for that. Remodeling can be addictive (and fun).

David April 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

My parents house had that same color toilet and tub (and refrigerator, for some time). I would never have thought to balance it out with a coordinated paint color like that. Brilliant! (Neither would my folks, as they never paint in any color but white, white, white! ;)

Amy April 14, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

great post, only you could make that yellow tub beautiful!
Thank for linking up to "AP Tueadays!" Could you link back to the party, please? I'd so appreciate it!

Helena April 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

Oh my, your projects are always so intense! But they turn out beautiful. I love this bathroom!

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Laura April 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

Wow this looks great! I love the color of the walls.

I would love it if you joined my "Saturday is Crafty Day" party on April 24th! Stop by my blog for details.

Ann @ makethebestofthings April 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Love your remodel! So clever the way you worked with the color of your tub and commode. Adore the custom cabinets. I just revamped my bath with a tiny budget, stop by and see what you think!

Christy April 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

It looks amazingly awesome with those scary looking fixture colors! You did an awesome job! It looks really pretty now!

Sheri @ www.careergirlinterrupted.com April 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

truly adore it. I love the fact that you used what was there instead of sending it to a landfill. good for you. You need a "green" award lol not a yellow award! Nice job!

Kaysi April 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

Wow!! that looks amazing and now the toilet and tub don't stand out but they look great! I'm serious when I say you can come to my house, you're amazing!

Room to Inspire April 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Wow, what an amazing job! What a huge undertaking - Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today!

Chelsea

Brianna! April 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

I love that you took the one thing that you didn't like and used it as the main part for your inspiration.
It looks gorgeous!

xoxo
B's

Parenting in blue jeans April 15, 2010 at 6:32 AM  

Hi, Stopping by via 5 minutes for Mom.

That is an amazing makeover! I am most impressed with how you made the tub color look current and all hip! We have quite a fizer upper and I am the not so proud owner of a pink and blue bathroom/sink/toilets/tub.

I also think that the tall cabinet storage is genius! I can't wait to show my husband and start making a honey-do list. I get all the ideas he does the work.

Feel free to pop over to my blog. I actually have a date night/ restaurant giveaway going on right now. Feel free to put your name in the hat!

http://parentinginbluejeans.blogspot.com/

Anonymous,  April 16, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

Beautiful redo! Amazing what you did with the 70s "Harvest Gold" - now it's an asset, not an "atrocity". Elegant and tasteful. A question: What exactly did you use to attach the drapes on either end of the bath enclosure? I need something like that to "frame" my garden tub - a shower curtain won't work, and the ceilings are 12' high. I think whatever gadget you used might do just the trick, but I don't know what you used. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks. Great job!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking April 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

WOW!!! You really don't even notice the yellow tub and toilet... you guys did an A-Mazing job. Thanks for sharing the bathroom with us at the POPP.

Lori April 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM  

They did a nice job... It looks wonderful. We are in the process of redoing our bathroom...

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

Chris April 17, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

I just can't get over this. You kept what would normally be thought of as the "first things to go", and you built a gorgeous room around them! Spectacular!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden April 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

I love the way your Dad worked with what he had!


Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Remodelaholic April 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

To poster #53: I used 1-inch poplar wood. I cut a piece into 6 x 10 inch and attached another 10 x 12 perpendicular to the wall plate making "L" shaped bracket. I then cut two 90 degree equilateral triangles glued them together so the grain was crossing for strength, attaching it about half way down the bracket. Because it would carry the weight of the curtains I made it a little beefier because the curtains were made of heavy material. I was able to catch one stud with the 6-inch width of the wall side of the bracket but to be safe, I also used toggle bolts into the drywall where there was no stud which attached to the wall plate at four points. The bracket hangs on the wall. One of my major concerns was the moisture of the shower so I spent the effort to get a marine grade sealer and gave it several coats. The six inch plate is attached to the wall with the 10-inch portion sticking out perpendicular to the wall on which we hung the curtains. I used a combination of glue and grabbers to butt joint the corner pieces and the 90-degree brace for connection. Dowels or biscuit joinery could also be used. I also cut an angle on the lower portion of the piece that was perpendicular to the wall. Remember that the two brackets are left and right sides so they're mirror images.

Anonymous,  May 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Just moved into an appartment with the same yellow tub and toilet. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

laxsupermom March 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM  

Wow! Terrific transformation! I love the new shower curtains, and the built-ins are an amazing use of so little floor space. Thanks for linking up to my party.

RHome410 March 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM  

Genius. LOVE the wainscoting and wall trim and the new cabinetry with matching trim. So elegant.

We have been remodeling my in-laws' house for sale, which I've been sharing a bit on my blog. Their bathrooms all had colored fixtures. One was all blue, one was all brown, and the master was this same 'lovely' gold. We are also doing creamy colored cabinetry and toned down the flooring and walls. They still connect with the gold, but give it a softer feel, unlike the effect of the previous dark cabinets and yellow and gold garish flooring. Your project looks fantastic.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP