We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Holy House; Inspirational Post

04 April 2010

I found this house while stumbling and love it.  I could absolutely live here but I wonder, what do you think?
Can't you just see your kids playing hide and seek in the graveyard? But seriously, If I could have bought this I would have.

The exterior of the house is mostly untouched, but they did add the skylights in the roof.

As far as the interior goes, the few articles I found on the house were a little rude about the furnishings, or the fact that it feels to churchy (uh, duh...).  I want to hear what you think.  I would probably change the furnishings a bit but I think the churchiness is what attracts me to it.  My opinion is that if you take that away you take away half the charm!
I love the stained glass in this!
One of my favorites (above).... sigh.





I  love this staircase.

Text from Swipe Life
A nondescript exterior and a yard dominated by headstones give no indication of the residential nature of this historic church in Kyloe, Northumberland. A couple decided to purchase and readapt the structure, investing nearly three times the purchase price into renovations over the course of several years. The exterior remains mostly untouched, save for skylights running the length of the roof. Inside, the owners took a similar approach. Restoration is more prevalent than renovation, with original stained glass windows throughout, and repurposed church fixtures abounding. Much of the original seating in the church was refinished and placed throughout the home, and unused wood and building materials were fashioned into a dramatic staircase leading from the main living space to an upper level library. The choice to live in a church is an unorthodox one, but this home’s owners managed to salvage a structure that might have otherwise been doomed to deterioration.
Story Source: All About You

11 comments:

Lew April 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

I think it is beautiful, but I don't think I could call it home. I think I would constantly be telling my boys to "quit running", "be reverent"...I don't know. It is gorgeous though!

B Lines April 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

It's beautiful. I think I could get used to living there, but I have to say that the blue living room furniture just looks out of place. I don't know what kind of LR furniture you could use in that space.

Anonymous,  April 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

I would live there in a heartbeat! The architecture is lovely! I love everything, except the bed up on the stage. I think that would look better with book shelves and cozy ready chairs. You could easily draw the curtains to make it even cozier!

Low Tide High Style April 4, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

I love those beautiful painted stone walls and the windows...*sigh*! I have a friend who converted a church into a home but it wasn't nearly as grandiose as this one! I could live in a church, but I imagine no matter how you choose to furnish it, someone will have an opinion about how it "should" have been done!

Kat :)

terry g April 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

Absolutely beautiful! I know a young couple who live in an old church in a small town in north central Texas. Ofcourse, it's not of the same grandeur as the one you shared about - but it's a small old church just off the town square in a tiny little Texas town. They just love it.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder April 4, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

I've always wanted to live in a church....or an old school. Since I was a child, this has been my fantasy.

Lauren April 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

I absolutely love it, except for the cemetery. They creep me out and I don't think I could get over that. I love the tall ceilings, stone and the stained glass. How beautiful and unique though!

TIFFANY April 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

I think it is beautiful but I don't think I would want to live there. I could handle the house, but the graveyard would be too creepy for me.

autumn April 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

wow!
what a house. i think it would be really neat to live in a building that has been reclaimed, and gets to live it's "second life" as a house.
i'm with you on the cemetary...i think i would put a fence around it and not let my kids play there.

A Tale of Three April 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

The stained glass and grave yard creep me out. I just don't want to bathe next to a picture of Christ. But i think the rest of everything is beautiful

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP