We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Handy Dandy! Guest Highlight

17 April 2010


One thing I wish I had is a fireplace, but what is the fun of a fireplace without a mantel?  Well here is what Cece of One Handy Chick did for her mantel-less fireplace, I think it looks great, don't you agree?


One of the items on my house's "to do" list was to build a mantel (or mantle?) for my fireplace.  I am happy to say, it is now complete--or should I say complete for now! I had no plan to begin with, I just took some raw meansurements and starting piecing things together to make it look good.

What do you think?
please pardon the naked windows....I have a plan!

Here are some step by steps for making my mantel:
1) check to make sure the proposed mantel is level. mark your spots and prepare to drill.
i needed a hefty board to hang the actual mantel from, so i used a 2x6 in the center and then 2 smaller pieces on the outside to help with level and load.
2) with someone holding the boards in place, mark for holes to be drilled.
3) add suuport brackets if you want to make sure that you definitely trust anything you put on your mantel that is screwed into your 40 year old brick to stay secure!
4) invite a big strapping young gentleman to come over and help you screw in these massive bolts to the brick.
5) these are the bolts that i used and they definitely felt secure.  i tested it by hanging off of the wood base before i slid the mantel on!
6) once the base was set, I slid on my mantel piece and here is how it looks today!
the actual mantle is made of 1x 8 white pine boards that I have beat up and stained dark walnut. 
 
She did a great job!
Anyone inspired to build a mantel now?

7 comments:

Carrie April 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Makes me really consider returning that mantle "kit" I have sitting here waiting to be installed... hmmmm....

Anonymous April 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

Inspired to build and hang a mantle... No...(fear factor, fear factor!!!) but completely and utterly impressed.... YES!!!!

Jennifer April 17, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

It looks wonderful. I have a fireplace that doesn't have a mantel either... it's in a corner and protrudes out at an angle. I've wanted to put up a mantle, but never took any action. Thanks for break down, it definitely is inspiring.

Jennifer

Unknown April 17, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

Looks awesome!

Now if someone can tell me what to do with the "special built hole" above the mantel where a TV is supposed to go - I'd be really happy. :)

Sandy April 18, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

I'm inspired to build a "Fireplace" in my townhouse.. maybe not a fireburning, but a real faux one... soon!
Sandy
http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP