We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Yo Cabbie, finally..., Upstairs Bath Remodel; Part 6

05 January 2010

Other posts in this remodel: 

Wet your Appetite, Part 1
Got Paint, Part 2
Tile with Style, Part 3
For Vanity's Sake, Part 4
Mirror Mirror, Part 5

This post has taken a long time in coming.  Building the cabinet took a week or two longer than expected. Then it was Thanksgiving, and I wasn't in the mood to paint... for 4 weeks, and when I finally got the energy to do it Christmas was here.  (Should I think of any more excuses?  I think not!  Honestly, I hate excuses!) 

The truth of the matter is, we take a long time on projects.   I have learned from this remodeling project that I need to have the project completely done before I am allowed to start posting about it.

It is just too easy for me to live in an unfinished house.  It doesn't even faze me!  For example, there was a time in college, where we didn't have carpet over the sub-floor in our hall for three and half years.  I had to wear shoes in that house, big deal. 

Anyway, one of the whole reasons for this little bath remodel was that I wanted a cabinet above the toilet.  This way, cleaning products will be in a safer location, and there will be more room for toiletries.  Especially since we have no drawers in our tiny vanity. 

Also, we had done this in the past.  Which is another reason, I wanted it, I missed the space that it created.
**FYI** When we did this before, we just modified one of those over the commode cabinets that has legs.. you know what I am talking about right (picture below)?  Well, we just attached it to the studs with good heavy duty screws and never installed the legs, when putting it together (such an easy customization/fix to those sorta silly looking things!). Here is a picture of one of the cabinets I am talking about, and here is the picture of our old bath with the cabinet in it.



This time, we were trying to do this without spending any money,or VERRRRY little!  I decided to run to The Habitat Re-store and buy an old cabinet door(to save time), then build a cabinet around that door.  I found one for $4.00, easy as pie!  And Justin, bless his heart designed it around my specifications and built... and rendered it in 3D so we could discuss how it looked.  Here are the final renderings, (he even did one with a mirror on the inside of the door).



We tweaked it a bit here and there, then he was ready to build it.



There is the cabinet all put together before it was painted. 
You can see that we used all old recycled wood.  FREE!


Then when I painted it, of course there is no proof, because there are no pictures,
but here is the final cabinet.

Looking good!

Now we just need to accessorize and update a few fixtures and you can see it all done. 
Next week I will show you the few little fixes then I'll do a whole summary post!

I am posting this remodel to the parties at  (Wow!  Am I a party girl or what?)

38 comments:

Remodelaholic January 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

Hey Vanessa,

Thanks for asking, my husband actually built it in 3D using a CAD(computer aided drafting) program. We both had to learn how to use these programs in school. It comes in really handy for remodeling!

Anonymous,  January 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

Nice!!!!! You guys always make your stuff look so clean. Great craftsmanship Justin.

Empty Nest Full Life January 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

Looks great! Wish we had a habitat restore near by. I am thinking of something like that project in my laundry room to have a little more cabinet storage. Jackie

Delightful Dwelling January 5, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

Wow it looks great! I'm impressed by the CAD drawing. I had to take CAD for my engineering degree, but haven't touched it since college.

Heidi January 5, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Excellent! You can never have too much storage space, esp. in a bathroom. At least that's how I feel about things...
You guys did a great job, at a great price. Nice work!
I'm recapping some of my projects from last year - I'd love for you to stop by.
Happy New Year.
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Unknown January 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM  

Your bathroom looks great, good job. Nothing wrong with taking your time we gave one of our guest bathrooms a facelift last year, it took me five monthes to complete..
Now remember I said face lift, first I had to find a vessel sink, then and antique dresser to put it on, then there was the floor. Glad I took my time, because I love the changes. My first visit, great blog. I will be following you through the next year. Hope you stop by sometime.
Sandy

Unknown January 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

very nice! You can never have too much bathroom storage, can you? :)
thanks for linking up!

Unknown January 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower. I signed up to follow you
as soon as saw some of your great ideals. Talk soon.
Sandy

Its So Very Cheri January 6, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

LOVE IT--you are ALWAYS welcome to post as much as you want to my parties.

Cheri

Brian January 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard of it, but have you ever tried SketchUp for your 3D modeling/rendering? Super fast and intuitive to learn, dynamic drawing (changes on the fly, vs. CAD finishes the command then redraws), FREE, and actually has lots of plugins and tools for landscape architects.

I'm a big fan of it, in case you didn't guess.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

Wow! What impressive DIY skills!! I love that you built it around a cheapo door. What a thrifty idea :).

Jamielouwho January 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

Wow! I am so impressed and can't wait to take a look at more of your posts! :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville January 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

I am soooo impressed AND inspired!!! BEAUTIFUL!
Thanks, friend, for linking up to Thrifty Thursday on Tales from Bloggeritaville! Great thrifty treasure!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

concretenprimroses January 8, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

Its beautiful, excellent workmanship. Even my dh mr perfection would admire it. I'm going to show him!
Kathy

Threeundertwo January 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

Congratulations on a great bargain finish! You're reminding me that I really need to replace the cabinet in one of our bathrooms.

Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday! I love the set of links to parties you have in your sidebar - you are just a party animal!

Tara@JustDevineStyle January 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

It Looks great! It is so neat that you made it! Great Job it looks lovely in the bathroom. I am now a follower!

Amanda Lee January 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

Great job! Your project addressed the three most important tenets of good design: safety, function, and beauty. Kudos!

Lisa January 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

I wandered over from Lit and Laundry's Finish for Friday- this is SO nice! If my husband made that, well, it would NOT look like that. Great job to both of you!

Laura January 8, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

What a great idea to start with the door! We just bought our house this last summer, and I can already tell that we're going to LOVE going to the Habitat for Humanity re-store in town!

Chari at Happy To Design January 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

Hello...

So nice to have you join in with the fun of Sunday Favorites...Welcome!!! Wow...I love this post...I love all remodel/make-over projects!!! How creative and industrious you and your honey are...great job on this beautiful bathroom cabinet!!! And...for just $4??? Fabulous!!! I love the arched design at the bottom/underneath side of the cabinet!!!

I also loved the idea of just using a pre-made cabinet...taking those legs off! I would have never thought of doing that! I love blogging...I have been so inspired by all the great ideas here...such as yours! Thank you for sharing your creativity and talents with all of us!!!

Well my friend, so happy that you added Happy To Design to you list of blog follows! I have also added your delightful blog to my list and really do look forward to your upcoming posts! I'm also going to do a little snooping and go back through your past posts! Hehe! So very nice to meet you!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Keetha Broyles January 10, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

I'm LOVING your little cabinet, and I'm LOVING your hubby Jeremy for being so accommodating and HELPING you with this project. Pretty sure my hubby would rather be fishing - - - -

Miss Mustard Seed January 14, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

This piece turned out so well! I love the design and functionality of it. You and your guy make a nice design team! You must swell with pride when you see it hanging in your bathroom.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP