We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

For a rainy day...

08 October 2009

One thing that is important to me is being prepared for a rainy day. This involves food storage, a subject I am passionate about.

When I mention food storage to people I get different responses, blank stares, lifted eyebrows, excuses why they aren't storing food for their families, you name it. My favorite response was when we moved to Asheville. We had some great friends help us move our stuff. And when they moved out our big buckets they were like "what the heck is this?" When we told them, they wanted to open it up and "See the wheat"!

Also, when food storage is mentioned people think you are a little coo-coo! Let me 'splain, I am not talking about Armageddon or the End of the world people! I am talking about everyday things like, running out of money before the next pay check, or losing a job, or sickness and not being able to cook, things like that.


I get a lot of "I know where I am coming remarks". Let me warn you: Those comments upset me! I have to admit that, because I have worked hard for 8 years to learn how and what to store, so what gives you the right... Okay, stepping off the soap box.

Anyway, I found a great deal last fall at a goodwill store, and I finally used it: A $3.00 dehydrator that works like a charm! I dehydrated 3 pints of strawberries (it whittled them down to about 1 cup once dry, I am not joking, jam is a much better option quantity wise!)

But, it smelled so heavenly!

So, if you are reading this, what is one thing you can think of to do to make your family more secure in these tough times? Thoughts? What are you making or doing I want to know, click on the comment button and let us all know what great ideas you have to share.


8 comments:

Deidra October 8, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

One of my very favorite topics. Talking preparedness makes me want to grab people by the collar and shake them to emphasize its importance!

I need to keep my eye out for a dehydrator. I love dried plums, peaches and would like to try tomatoes.

Growing a garden and scouting out the local, neglected fruit trees has made a big difference to me. I love canning produce and seeing my own labor add up to jars in the cupboard. It amazes me how it all accumulates and makes a difference. Starting small can lead to great blessings. Of that, I testify. Chris and I have seen and felt those blessings in our own lives, too.

Shirleybk October 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

I'm determined this week to put a small bit of cash away for an emergency. I figure if we did get quarantined for a week or more having cash on hand would be good if we needed someone to buy something for us like milk, etc that way we could leave the cash out in exchange for the goods. I also think it's never a bad idea to have extra money for weird things that come up I've just never felt like I could do it but I'm feeling like it needs to be done. And I always buy extra food when I go shopping and I've gone a month on that food before only having to hit the grocery store for milk and basics but even then I think we could survive on dry milk if we absolutely had to but I haven't been that deseperate yet, thank goodness. I love the strawberry idea. I love drying apples with a little cinnamon sugar sprinkled on them. DELISH!

Sharla October 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Love the great find! Great idea! Thanks for the reminder of food storage :)

randivon October 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

I was reading a book a fictional book about the last days a few months back that really made me think about this topic quite a bit. It was really interesting but one of the things that hit me the most was that we are asked to store for a year but there is a chance that we will not need a full years worth of supplies but that we might be asked to share that which we have with those around us... Thus making it helpful to have so much. An interesting thought but it has helped to soften my heart. As for supplies, CJ and I working on having a supply of gas... Something that would be helpful in a disaster or hard times. :-)

Crystal October 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

hey,
So I am really into food storage and I could use ANY tips or anything! What are your suggestions?

Love ya!
Crystal

Katie October 8, 2009 at 11:21 PM  

Our ward is trying to get prepared and a friend started ordering group orders from Emergency Essentials and Honeyville Grain. We all get their monthly deals and eventually we'll get our years supply a little at a time. I've heard great things about Moo Milk as well (dry milk that most kids LOVE since it's 3% instead of non-fat). I know the Green Smoothie Lady has some great recipes for foods using a dehydrator. I just poked around her website for a few minutes but could have spent HOURS because all those tastey recipes using fresh and very healthy foods were mouth watering.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP