We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Onesie dress

13 July 2009

Justin went to scout camp about a week or so ago. Because we only have one car that meant I was house bound, pregnant, and slightly crazy for 2-3 days alone, with no one to talk to. So I started projects.

One of which was this onesie dress.

I received some cute little dresses as gifts that were built around a onesie so I thought it would be fun to try and make one.

Here is what I used, and did.

  • a onesie (I used a small so that size is what these measurements reflect)
  • a strip of 14" x 44" eyelet and solid white fabric
  • 1/2" elastic, approx. 15-20 inches
  • A random button
  • about 20"-30" pink 1 1/2 ribbon
  • Yellow ribbon for base of skirt and waist
  • pins
  • sewing machine
  • needle and thread
Onesie and fabric cut to approx 14" x 44"

I just eyeballed the cut of the onesie, so that the waist is a little higher.
This allowed for me to make the bloomers.

This is the bottom half of the onesie. I just turned over the top edge and
sewed a 1/2" seam pocket for the elastic, threaded it through and closed it up. Done.
Next, I gathered the eyelet and solid fabric together with one loosely stitched seam.
Then pulled it tight to gather the top.
(I don't have a fancy machine, so we do things the hard way!)
Then I sewed the back seam together.
I centered the back seam of the skirt with the back of the onesie top, and pinned the 1/4's around to make sure it was even, then just sewed it in place.
Make sure you have good sides to good sides.
That gave me the basic dress the just needed to be hemmed.
I could have stopped there, but why?
I made this little embellishment. I don't know if there is a special way to make these, so I just fooled around until it worked. This is what I did. I sewed on the inside a loose gathering seam pulled it tight the spiraled it around a center point and secured it with a need and thread.
Then I went through my trusty button tin, and found this cute extra button from an old outfit's extra button pack and sewed it onto the center.
I added the yellow ribbon around the bottom and center of the dress just to clean it up. and lastly tacked on the little pink rose. And here are the final results:
Oh the details.
(Actually, the cutest detail will be the baby Buddha belly tucked in this little number!)

And here is the sneak peek of the other project I started to make, but haven't finished. It probably won't happen for a while. But it is going to be pretty cute. Although I am already thinking of some changes.

This is another of the old 50's patterns! Love it!

10 comments:

Deidra July 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

So cute! This is what I should have done for the million baby showers I have this month (but only two of them were for girls).

Thanks for the advice about ABF/UPack. That's the route Chris has been leaning toward, so it's always good to get some affirmation. Thinking about paying for gas for a UHaul about made me choke! Our car gets more than 6-10 mpg, so that's a little more reasonable! :) And even though I swore of ever doing another cross-country drive, I might be swayed with the prospect of another trip back as the trade-off.

MammaMelgar July 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

Very Cute!!

You should make another little ribbon flower and attach it to a clip for her hair.

Lori Cook July 14, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

I love it!! YOu are so creative and crafty. Maybe someday I will come close to doing some of the things you do!

Carrie July 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

Adorable! You need to send HGTV a link to your blog. I swear they would hire you on the spot! I am going to post a couple projects I have done lately. I never really thought to post them but you have inspired me!

Heidi July 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

So adorable! I can't wait to see pictures with a little babe inside the darling dress!!

Cindy Killebrew July 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

I love it! So talented! You should have called me I would come and got you and you could have enjoyed my crazy life!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP