We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Slipcovered Wingback Chair..(that I want!)

26 April 2011

Slipcovered Wingback Chair..(that I want!) by Shelley

Hi.  My name is Shelley.  And... I'm a Remodelaholic.
When Cassity contacted me to do a post on my slipcover I was so thrilled that my computer chair dancing turned into full blown out of the chair dancing :D  So, thank you, thank you Cassity for having me over to your AMAZING blog!
As I mentioned, my name is Shelley.  I am a stay-at-home mom who finds sanity through creating. My blog Crazy Wonderful is my happy place where I can post about my favorite Izzy adventures and the creating that happens when she sleeps. By the way, I'm not yet prepared for what happens when they no longer nap. Any tips are welcomed! Hahaha!

Now, on to what's important!
How I Slipcovered My Wingback

I used Miss Mustard Seed's tutorial. It was such a great tutorial, I highly recommend looking at it even if you're doing something other than a wingback. Making a slipcover really wasn't that difficult to do, and this one only took a few days of working during Izzy's nap times to complete.
If you decide to make a slipcover (which I hope you do) here are some very helpful tips:
1.  You CAN do this.  It seems intimidating, but remember, you eat an elephant one bite at a time.  
2. Wash and dry your fabric first!  Not only does it prevent your finished slipcover from shrinking the first time it needs to be washed, but it also softens up the fabric making it easier to work with.
3. Go ahead and put forth the extra effort to make and/or use piping.  It will make your slipcover look much more polished.

If you don't already have a sewing attachment for piping, borrow or purchase one.  This is what I used.

4. If your using painter's drop cloths, use the prefinished edges to your benefit.  They come in handy for the skirt of the chair, and also for any closures in the back of the chair.

5.  Back to eating the elephant one bite at a time.  Work in small sections, starting with the largest pieces first.  Pin one major seam together, and then take it right over to the sewing machine to sew together.  Try the sewn seam on your chair to check for fit before pining the next seam.  Here's an example of sections you can work in.

6.  When sewing a seam that has piping, make sure your foot is pressed tightly against the piping so that the needle stitches just to the side of the piping.  It will give you a much cleaner look and prevent floppy looking piping.

7.  If you get to a section that's giving you problems and you start freaking out, WALK AWAY.  It's not worth ripping the entire thing apart in frustration and giving up.  Not that I ever thought of doing that ;)  Go do something else for a few minutes (or a few days) and come back to it later.  You'll have a clear head and will be better able to figure out the solution.
8.  This one's more of a design decision.  When I made the pleats for the skirt, I knew I wanted a very crisp, flat pleat.  I measured out my pleats, pining in place as I went, and then gave them a really good press and shot of steam with the iron before running them through the sewing machine.  I know that when the time comes to wash the slipcover, I'll need to iron them down again.  But, for now they lay great!

9.  Don't drive yourself crazy trying to obtain perfection!!!  It's a slipCOVER.  It's not meant to look like a tight upholstered piece. 
10.  Relax, you'll be thrilled with the results :D
 
 

Cost Breakdown:
9x12 painter's drop cloth (8oz) - $20.00
cording to make piping - $8.00
chair - FREE!
$28.00!!!
Now go cover up that ugly chair!

13 comments:

Crazy Wonderful April 26, 2011 at 7:15 AM  

Cassity-

Thanks so much for having me over to guest post! I had such a great time putting it together :D

Shelley

Judy April 26, 2011 at 7:15 AM  

Great job, very professional looking. I started making a slip for my ottoman in my sunroom yesterday out of drop cloth, it fits perfectly and now I've got to add the ruffle at the bottom. I'm following Jennifer's instructions at Dear Lillie...first time I've ever made a slipcover, so far, so good, fingers crossed!

Judy

Liz April 26, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

I really like how you did those tucks at the top curve of the chair, definitely a polished look!

Amy April 26, 2011 at 8:03 AM  

oh my gosh! I don't know if I have the patience for that but you make it sound so easy I just might try...

In the Pursuit of Cuter Clothes

C... April 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

Wow very impressive. I don't have a sewing machine and no space for one but I've always wanted to try something like this.

whimages April 26, 2011 at 9:07 AM  

WOW!!! I have two wing back chairs in my living room that I've been eyeing up for slipcovers. YOU, are a BRAVE and TALENTED chick! GREAT JOB!

Meghan McCann April 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

It GORGEOUS!! I wish I could sew. Mine would be a hot-mess! But I'll be sure to enlist you when I find my perfect wingback!

megmacdesigns.blogspot.com

Colleen April 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM  

This is, without a doubt, the BEST slipcover tutorial I have EVER read! I think I've got the nerve and courage to do one of my very own! Thanks so much!!!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane April 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM  

Wow, you did such a great job! And how fun to guest post on Remodelaholic!!! I recently did a similar wing chair slipcover but I didn't do as good a job on the arms as you did. I did a pleat on the skirt too but I sewed it with velcro to be removeable for washing (because it doesn't get very dirty and I didn't want to re-iron it every time.) Check mine out here: http://www.honeybearlane.com/2011/03/my-wing-chair-slipcover-reveal.html

Day Dreaming And Decorating April 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM  

WOW! This looks better than anything I have seen on Pottery Barn or Ballard Designs.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP